TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 8-Apr-2011, 6:41 AM   #21
dsmguy7

@COCO-Could be buddy. Thanks for the heads up.

@GUM-Thanks man. Your posts are helpful as always. I did what you said and I have my antenna pretty close. I'm still going to get a compass. I really think it is an elevation issue and the fact that the antenna is pointed at an out building and behind that (higher too) is a privacy fence, and behind that are two large oak trees.

1.) Can pictures be posted here?
2.) In keeping the antenna and mast away from power lines; does that include an insulated line going into the house?
3.) Can a roof top 10 ft. mast not be guy wired?
4.) If I do the roof mount how do you run the ground wire (just along the roof and off the eave with a stand off?)?
5.) I have some sort of Comm-scope Tri-shield rg6 (model #: F677TSVV) UL CATV 18 AWG. Is this good?

Last edited by mtownsend; 8-Apr-2011 at 2:03 PM. Reason: Edited to stay on-topic
dsmguy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Apr-2011, 8:25 AM   #22
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

Answer to question #1. Yes pictures can be posted here. As a matter of fact recent question askers have posted pictures , look at the other question askers posts. Answer to question #5 , Comm-scope is very high quality coax. Light years higher quality then what you will buy at , home depot , lowes , walmart , radio shack. Tri-shield and quad shield is the best to do pre and post wire with because the extra shielding blocks interference and provides better signal transfer. And as for having more then one identity , this is very common all over the internet , this is known as Avatar. As a matter fact having more then one name/identity/avatar has been and is common through out the history of this planet. As for questions , 2 , 3 , 4 , ask Ground Ur Mast he keeps a close eye on this subject. Thats why he has the Avatar of Ground Ur Mast. I do my best to state the truth. I am not filled with messed up thinking and crazy ideas.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Apr-2011, 8:43 AM   #23
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

Here is a idea , it is Ok to search tvfool and find answers , It is Ok to to click on Special Topics and Enthusiast's Exchange. It is Ok to to look at the top of the page at tvfool and find the word Search , click on it and type in the grounding. Here is the main reason for grounding the coax cable from the antenna , Grounding the coax with a coax grounding block diverts atmospheric static and signals that will interfer with quality Tv reception - to earth ground. The electric service ground wire is a good place to ground. An other good place to ground to a cold water pipe , the cold water pipe must be real metal pipe that goes down in to ground out to the water main or to a water well. Do Not use a hot water pipe for ground.

Last edited by John Candle; 17-Apr-2011 at 8:55 AM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Apr-2011, 1:58 PM   #24
mtownsend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmguy7 View Post
1.) Can pictures be posted here?
Yes. You can attach files to post if they are under 500kB and less than 1024x1024 resolution.

If you use links to an external photo web site, that works too. However, if your post is detected as possible spam, it may take a little while for the moderators to approve the post.

Quote:
2.) In keeping the antenna and mast away from power lines; does that include an insulated line going into the house?
Avoiding electrocution is the number one concern.

A secondary concern is antenna performance. You don't want the radiation pattern of your antenna to be anywhere near obstructions and metal objects, including power lines. Objects too close to the antenna can alter its performance.

High voltage lines and transformers should be avoided at greater distances since they can give off interference.

Quote:
3.) Can a roof top 10 ft. mast not be guy wired?
It depends on the wind-resistance and weight of your antenna. I think it should work fine for a single mid-size antenna or multiple light-weight antennas as long as you have a solid mount. Just keep in mind that the stress on the mast and mount is proportional to the square of the distance from the mount point.

If using masts longer than 10 feet, I would recommend guy wires for sure.

For tornado- or hurricane-prone areas, of course, you'll need to be as short as possible.

Quote:
5.) I have some sort of Comm-scope Tri-shield rg6 (model #: F677TSVV) UL CATV 18 AWG. Is this good?
This cable is fine and has some good specs. Just note that this cable is probably a bit stiff. You'll need to limit the bend radius to avoid kinks in the cable. Do not put any sharp bends in the cable since this can interfere with proper signal propagation.
mtownsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Apr-2011, 1:47 PM   #25
sobamaflyer

You asked early on about media center options: I have purchased a new Tivo Premier from ebay and it also supports Netflix, YouTube, WebVideos (Pandora, Rhapsody, list goes on) Been recording shows in HD beauty with it since I started this adventure. This replaced our own Directv setup and DVR, we had TiVo in the past and it's UI is unmatched.

I paired this with a new Vizio LED w/ internet apps (since I was saving a nice chunky $100/mo now ) and I have yet to be at a loss for tons of shows to entertain us.

I think the previous posters (and you, yourself) got your equipment nicely dialed in.
sobamaflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Apr-2011, 5:07 AM   #26
dsmguy7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobamaflyer View Post
You asked early on about media center options: I have purchased a new Tivo Premier from ebay and it also supports Netflix, YouTube, WebVideos (Pandora, Rhapsody, list goes on) Been recording shows in HD beauty with it since I started this adventure. This replaced our own Directv setup and DVR, we had TiVo in the past and it's UI is unmatched.

I paired this with a new Vizio LED w/ internet apps (since I was saving a nice chunky $100/mo now ) and I have yet to be at a loss for tons of shows to entertain us.

I think the previous posters (and you, yourself) got your equipment nicely dialed in.
Sweet. Yeah, I actually went with a PS3. Like they say, "It only does everything." I have a Netflix membership and have added the apps for vudu and hulu +, but I haven't signed up yet. So far so good. I haven't given much thought to recording. Maybe soon.

As far as dialed in, not quite. During the day many stations including WALA (the one I have to have) are very weak. At night they are unwatchable. As mentioned in my message to you, I believe the problem is elevation. I will post details and pics after this.
Old 14-Apr-2011, 7:40 AM   #27
dsmguy7

Problems with reception and questions

I have found this journey into OTA to be fun and enlightening. However, I am having reception problems with a few stations (most importantly WALA). During the day they are weak; during the night unwatchable. I believe the problem is elevation. I rechecked my antenna. It is level front to back and side to side. I checked alignment with a magnetic compass and it is pointed to 99 deg. (my iphone 4's compass app. was within 1 deg ). According to Google terrain maps the hill behind my house is about 10 ft. higher than ground level at my house and not 5 ft. The neighbor's yard behind me also slopes uphill from there. Hopefully the following pics will help.

In the radaredit pic you can see the trajectory of the broadcast towers from Mobile/ Pensacola. They go right through the trees, fence and shed. However the south side of my home looks like the best place for the antenna because any further north makes the trajectory of the towers go through the trees more (which are larger than when that satellite photo was taken) until you get to the extremes of my yard which would add cable length and complicate grounding. (Sorry for the poor quality. I took a pic of my computer screen because I could not figure out how to save it from Google).

In the picture006edit pic you can see the antenna install and where I would like to put the roof mount tripod. You may or may not be able to make out the cable and ground wires due to the size limitations of this site.

In the picture007edit pic you can see the RCA ANT751 mounted to the old Directv mount. Hopefully I did OK.

In the picture008edit pic you can see the large hill behind my house and where the antenna is pointed.

In the picture009edit pic you can see the front of my house and the desired roof mount tripod location. These are the only 2 gables on my home and I don't want an antenna there.

In the picture011edit pic you can see the rear of my house and that the antenna is at my eye level when standing just in front of the shed. You can also see the desired roof mount tripod location.

The reason I am thinking of going roof mount is:

1. My current set up is not working.
2. From what I understand any telescoping or regular mast must be guyed 10 ft. above the last bracket and my eave would only get that bracket about 9 ft. off of the ground. I do not wish to do guy wires.

My thought is to do a tripod roof mount (3 ft. from Denny's antenna sales on-line?) with a 10 ft. mast and my RCA ANT 751.

Questions:

1. Any problems with this or better ideas to get signal?

2. The RCA splitter I mentioned earlier (no model #); is this OK or can you recommend one to replace it to be safe?

3. How do I run the cable and ground wire? After being secured to the mast do they just lay on the shingles until they get to the eave and from there through a stand off? Should they be kept together or separated?

4. What kind of acrylic sealant and/ or silicon grease should be applied to terminals and connections; and how should it be applied?

5. On the Denny's antenna sales site there is a comment stating that the 3 ft. tripod is the most common, but it also states that it will not line up with the roof trusses. Any explanations or experience with this mount? Should I get the 5 ft. model?

I have read the mentioned primers on antenna install and grounding and found no answers to these.

Thank you all in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg picture 006edit.jpg (95.2 KB, 1013 views)
File Type: jpg picture 007edit.jpg (164.1 KB, 979 views)
File Type: jpg picture 008edit.jpg (135.6 KB, 973 views)
File Type: jpg picture 009edit.jpg (111.1 KB, 992 views)
File Type: jpg picture 011edit.jpg (85.7 KB, 1002 views)

Last edited by dsmguy7; 3-Dec-2017 at 1:40 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 14-Apr-2011, 8:00 AM   #28
Tower Guy

Quote:

1. Any problems with this or better ideas to get signal?
The proposed location would aim into a big tree. Try a 10' mast mounted to the brick wall in the area where your antenna is now. If the soffit is more than 12" use the 18" model.

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...0Supplies&sku=
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Apr-2011, 12:06 PM   #29
sobamaflyer

When I was having reception issues it was worst with WALA, which I too found odd because it's closer than some of the others that come in fine, fortunately for me I am near the top of a hill and probably just a few miles closer to the station than you are.

I'll caution my next statement with the immediate admission that I know nothing compared to the knowledge base on this forum but being local to you and this is what is working for me.... I put an amp on my antenna, I bought one at radio shack just to try and what was pixillated and patchy became 100% solid. I did follow up figuring the RS unit might be sub-par and ordered a Weingard unit that was recommended here, my signals all dropped by ~10% so I returned that one.

This has been working flawlessly for me w/ a sub-par antenna mounted on a pole inside my attic (admittedly clearer of other outside obstructions and elevation than your location).

Might be something to try.
sobamaflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Apr-2011, 4:01 AM   #30
dsmguy7

@mtownsend--Thank you.

@Towerguy--10-4. Thank you. I'm going to see if I can pay my neighbor to cut that tree down or back some. If so, would you do the roof mount to get maximum height or not? If not I'll either do it your way or like your way but with the mast going all the way to the ground to make it easier to run a ground wire to the house ground.

@sobamaflyer--10-4. Thank you. I'll have to check again but I believe WALA is a relatively low powered station even though it is closer than some of the others. This may be why. I may try an amp but I want to exhaust all other means first.

Anyone else care to answer my questions or give an opinion (Groundurmast etc.)?
Old 16-Apr-2011, 12:16 PM   #31
No static at all

Did you ever try powering just 1 set off of the antenna with the splitter removed? This would provide an excellent baseline to determine how much difference an amp will make.
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Apr-2011, 1:16 AM   #32
dsmguy7

Quote:
Originally Posted by No static at all View Post
Did you ever try powering just 1 set off of the antenna with the splitter removed? This would provide an excellent baseline to determine how much difference an amp will make.
No, I have not. I will try that. What exactly should I be looking for? I would expect the signal level to double. Is this where the signal strength vs. signal quality on the Tivax STB-12 would come in? Also, should I rescan or just see how the levels change?

Thanks.
Old 17-Apr-2011, 4:36 AM   #33
No static at all

Quote:
What exactly should I be looking for?
See if any of the problem channels improve. Go ahead & re-scan as well. The tuner may pick up more channels.

From my experience the ANT-751 doesn't really have enough umph to drive more than 1 set with signals in the yellow zone.

How many sets will be connected?
Old 17-Apr-2011, 5:45 AM   #34
dsmguy7

Quote:
See if any of the problem channels improve. Go ahead & re-scan as well. The tuner may pick up more channels.

From my experience the ANT-751 doesn't really have enough umph to drive more than 1 set with signals in the yellow zone.

How many sets will be connected?
Ok. Hmm...well I bought the RCA ANT751 as instructed to do here. 2 sets as of now maybe up to 2 more in the distant future.

Thanks
Old 17-Apr-2011, 12:45 PM   #35
No static at all

The antenna will be just fine, but amplification will likely be needed to improve reliability. Raising it a bit higher may also help, but still won't be enough to compensate for 3 or more outlets IMO.
Old 17-Apr-2011, 1:17 PM   #36
dsmguy7

Quote:
The antenna will be just fine, but amplification will likely be needed to improve reliability. Raising it a bit higher may also help, but still won't be enough to compensate for 3 or more outlets IMO.
10-4. I just got off work and disconnected one set as well as rescanned. Most stations increased levels by about 1-4%. 2 went up 6-6.5% and 1 (WLOX) went up 12%. WALA only went up 3.5% (60% strength). I can list all channels if needed but the only one I was impressed with was WLOX. I really need WALA.

Thanks.
Old 17-Apr-2011, 2:23 PM   #37
No static at all

Since the signal will eventually be split 4 times, I suggest the Channel Master 7777. I don't think you are at risk of signal overload, but let's see what others have to say.
Old 19-Apr-2011, 6:40 PM   #38
GroundUrMast

I'd rather see you experiment with antenna elevation or location before spending more money. A four or eight port DA may be needed to distribute to multiple sets but the original TVF Report was based on 20' AGL. I'm estimating your current location offers 10' to 12' and a bore-site view of your outbuilding. WALA should be quite solid if it's really available with a 30 dB NM.

Re. RG-6 and ground wire on the roof, I don't like holes in my roof. A couple of non-penetrating options: (1) Galvanized or copper clad plumbers tape can slide under asphalt shingles without causing a lump. An 8" to 12" long piece of PT can be bent in the center to form a 3/8" to 1/2" loop. The tails slide under adjacent roofing tabs, the loop protrudes through the gap between the tabs. Run the wires through the loop in the PT. If needed, a small squirt or asphalt roof caulk can anchor the PT and tack down the shingle tabs. (2) Plastic clips for Christmas lights could be used to do the same thing, though they may raise the shingle tab more than desired.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 19-Apr-2011 at 6:53 PM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Apr-2011, 8:08 PM   #39
Tower Guy

Quote:
Since the signal will eventually be split 4 times, I suggest the Channel Master 7777. I don't think you are at risk of signal overload, but let's see what others have to say.
The FM stations are a bit strong for a 7777. The FM trap should fix that, but why take a chance? The TV signals that dsmguy7 wants are not so weak that the highest gain preamp is necessary.

My advice on March 11 was a HD7697P and a AP8700. Unfortunately the op bought a smaller antenna, no preamp, and installed it 10' shorter than his TVfool report.
Attached Images
File Type: png dsmguy7.PNG (220.3 KB, 940 views)
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Apr-2011, 4:58 AM   #40
dsmguy7

@groundurmast--thanks. I agree height/ position first. Then preamplifier and last bigger antenna. As far as my first tv fool report, unless I'm missing something I left the height blank. So unless it puts 20 ft in by default I don't know. Here is my 20 ft report: *http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...8d173c0ddbe4b6
My current antenna height is just shy of 9 ft (over the soffet but less than the roof peak). And yes pointed at that shed. Here is my 8 ft report: **http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...8d172c0e4762d6

Thanks for the wiring tip. So I can assume they can be run together?
What about the splitter, sealant, and tripod questions?

@towerguy--thanks. I'm sorry I didn't listen to you. I was only trying to get a consensus. It's hard to tell who knows what on the Internet. I figured if everyone gave similar antenna suggestions then it would be good to go. As far as the original tv fool report height; see my reply to gum above.

I'm willing to try/spend whatever. However, since I already have the RCA ant751 I would like to try to make that work. If elevation and then a preamplifier won't do it, then I'll buy the bigger antenna.

Last edited by dsmguy7; 20-Apr-2011 at 5:07 AM.