Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 7-Oct-2014, 7:08 PM   #1
I hate cable

cutting cable and I want whatever I can get OTA

Hi
Here is the link
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d243e9d4ffa47b

I just need some help and guidance on what type of antenna and whatever else I might need to get NBC, CBS, ABC and anything else, and what is the best direction for me. I have trees to deal with in all direction. Would put antenna on roof peak about 20 ft. I would appreciate any help.
Thanks so much.
I hate cable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Oct-2014, 12:23 AM   #2
coco

here are a couple of sites for the beginners

http://dennysantennaservice.com/tv-a...lp-center.html

http://www.crutchfield.com/learn/lea...e/antenna.html
coco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Oct-2014, 12:00 PM   #3
timgr

Hi - I would do a couple of things. I'd first run a reception report at significantly higher than 20 feet, say 40 or 50 feet. This might tell me whether I'd be better off to focus on the Boston TV market, or Springfield, or even Providence. It would also give an idea of whether making the effort to raise your antenna very high will be worthwhile. Then I'd try an antenna pointed toward WGBH (Boston) and then WWLP (Springfield).

If you are ready to buy an antenna, given your reception report, I suggest you go big right from the start. For UHF coverage, the Antennas Direct DB8e would be an excellent choice (I own one). It is a UHF-only antenna, and that will be fine for the Boston stations, but for Springfield you will also need high VHF to get WWLP and some of the Providence stations (you can try pointing at Providence too). To add VHF, the Antennacraft Y10713 is often suggested, mounted on the same mast as the DB8e and utilizing the RCA TVPRAMP1R mast-mounted preamp to mix the signals for a single coax lead-in.

If you can get above the tree tops in any of those directions, you will attain a significant advantage.

Last edited by timgr; 8-Oct-2014 at 12:02 PM.
timgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Oct-2014, 1:39 PM   #4
I hate cable

Thanks for the help and information. This gives me a starting point.
Old 8-Oct-2014, 2:04 PM   #5
tomfoolery

That area (Old Sturbridge) is nothing but hills and valleys, and moving the icon on the map even one street over can bring the signals from boom to bust. If you haven't already, try using the map function rather than the address input, and slide the icon to right over your house before plotting the radar report, and as suggested before, play with the height to see how it changes things.
tomfoolery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Oct-2014, 4:19 PM   #6
I hate cable

Thanks for all the help. Appreciate it.
I did the map function and it looks like pointing toward WGBH Boston is my best direction. Just wondering...with the possibility of Boston, Springfield and Providence stations, would I be better off with an antenna such as the LAVA HD 2605 with the rotor rather than the American Direct DB8e ? Also, I hooked up one of those paper thin indoor antennas (Leaf) and just put it behind th TV and pulled in WUNI with no problem. Would this be any indication that using a good outdoor antenna would get me a few stations?
Old 9-Oct-2014, 4:28 PM   #7
I hate cable

correction: Antenna Direct DB8e
Old 9-Oct-2014, 4:38 PM   #8
timgr

Would you rather have the rotor or mount multiple antennas? You can point an antenna at each market that seems worthwhile and combine them using separate stand-alone tuners and a HTPC to manage the streams. That will allow you to record separately from each tuner for later playback, or live streaming from any source.

No personal experience with the Lava, but you can search old posts and get a lot of opinions - https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...m+lava+antenna
Old 9-Oct-2014, 5:31 PM   #9
timgr

NB there's also Hartford at 248; WFSB.
Old 9-Oct-2014, 9:06 PM   #10
I hate cable

If I go with the DB8e, and I point the elements in 2 different directions , I would assume one would be 90 mag (Boston). What would the other be ?
Old 10-Oct-2014, 12:52 AM   #11
Tower Guy

In my opinion the signal strength at your location requires a DB8e or similar high gain UHF only antenna aimed at Boston. Do not split directions or you may loose the weaker Boston stations. The Lava does not have enough gain to get all the stations that you will want.

To add additional directions do as timgr suggests and add the VHF antenna using the preamp that he suggests.

Last edited by Tower Guy; 10-Oct-2014 at 12:54 AM.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Oct-2014, 11:46 AM   #12
timgr

Quote:
Originally Posted by timgr View Post
... separate stand-alone tuners and a HTPC to manage the streams. ...
An A/B switch would also let you pick which antenna you wanted to receive, and then go to your TV or DVR or whatever. Your TV would need the ability to add channels that it can't scan - not all of them allow that.

Check the HomeRun HD http://www.silicondust.com/ if you are considering multiple antennas.
Old 13-Oct-2014, 1:05 PM   #13
I hate cable

Excellent advice and I thank you all. I am definitely going with the DB8e and only going to zero in on the Boston stations. In doing this would I still need the RCA preamp if I am only using one antenna ? Should I use the preamp to boost signal for Boston stations ?
Old 13-Oct-2014, 1:43 PM   #14
timgr

For a single antenna application, you don't need the signal mixing that the preamp provides. You may not need the preamp, if your cable run is fairly short. If you have long cables to drive, the preamp will help by boosting the amplitude (not the quality) of the signal from the antenna.

The flip side of this is if you have strong signals to begin with, the signal can overload the preamp or tuner ... but I expect with your reception plot you won't run into that. Up to you - probably won't hurt, might help.
Old 14-Oct-2014, 9:50 PM   #15
nkirkley

Charlotte

I have a DB8 antenna and a rotor. I love it! I have mine mounted outside about 25 feet up. I pick up all Charlotte channels and quite a bit from Greensboro. Basically I have two of all the major networks. I would love to pick up Columbia and Spartanburg. If anyone has any suggestions, let me know!

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d243f7a2c4d7ca
nkirkley is offline   Reply With Quote