TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 18-Dec-2014, 6:28 PM   #1
COCordCutter

Help needed in Parker, CO (SE of Denver)

Hi, I need assistance in choosing an antenna for a two story single family home in Parker, CO--a suburb southeast of Denver. My current indoor Terk HDTVa gets the UHF channels fine, but I'm also after KUSA-DT, a VHF Hi station which it will not pick up.

The new antenna will be an attic installation, about 25 ft up with 50' of coax running from the antenna to the main TV downstairs. I'll also have a splitter at the main TV running to a second TV upstairs.

I'm considering the AntennaCraft HBU33 for my setup, but I'm open to other suggestions as well. Also, since I'm only after the channels in green, would I even benefit from a pre amp, like the Winegard LNA-200?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Here is my report: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d243e0d1fcee78
COCordCutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Dec-2014, 6:50 PM   #2
timgr

Is the Terk in your attic now? You have room for the HBU33 in your attic, pointing at 294 magnetic? And what kind of structure is in the way of the signal?

Nothing wrong with the HBU33 choice. No reason you can't set up your antenna and add the preamp later. Test it with a single TV and cable then add the splitter. The preamp is mainly helpful when you have weak but high-quality signals that would be otherwise too weak because of cable/splitter losses.
timgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Dec-2014, 7:09 PM   #3
GroundUrMast

Quote:
The preamp is mainly helpful when you have weak but high-quality signals that would be otherwise too weak because of cable/splitter losses.
Great way to put it, concise and to the point.

Given the relatively strong signal levels, I too would try this install with no amplification.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Dec-2014, 10:00 PM   #4
COCordCutter

Thanks for the replies.

No, the Terk is actually in an upstairs bedroom, pointed toward a window that generally faces the transmitters. If it weren't for the one VHF Hi station I can't get, I'd probably keep it.

No major structures within several miles and I should have enough room in the attic for the HBU33, but I'll need to get up there and measure to be sure. If the HBU33 ends up being too big, are there any smaller antennas you'd recommend? Since the signal is relatively strong, maybe I don't need something that big.

I'd considered the HBU22, the Antennas Direct C2-V-CJM and the RCA ANT751 as well, but wasn't sure they'd be enough to pick up all the stations in green. I was told that you lose half the stated range if installed in an attic as opposed to the roof.

Thanks for the input on the preamp. I'll try without first.
COCordCutter is offline   Reply With Quote