TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 18-Dec-2014, 4:59 PM   #1
mountainrage

Newbie looking to cut cable in Tucson, AZ

Hello, I am relitively new to this topic although i have been looking over everyone elses post which is a great resource. Im looking to get rid of my cable TV and install an antenna in my attic or outside on the roof of my house. I have 3 tvs in the house i am looking to hook up (1 HD smart TV in the front room and 2 HD TVs in bedrooms. I currently get my internet and basic cable TV from Comcast. I am concerned if there will be a problem with internet and OTA TV signal running through the same coax cable. I have a junction point in my master closet that splices the coax to all the rooms. I was planning on running my OTA signal to that point. That is basically the point that Comcast runs to currently.

I want to have the OTA TV along with my internet where i can stream Netflix and Amazon Prime through a Amazon Fire TV box on my main TV and Amazon fire sticks on my two others in the bedrooms.

I live in a south facing 1 story home in northwest Tucson about 8 miles from the heart of the city. Im hoping to get the biggest bang for my buck as far as channels go. If i cant get certain channel its no big deal. I currently only get 14 channes with my basic cable so im not spoiled.

Here is a map of the signals i get
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d2430efad250b3

Im hoping to be able to mount an antenna in my attic but am not completely opposed to mounting it on the roof of my home. If i have to mount several antennas to a mast im open to that also. I have a stucco home with clay tile shingles. if mounted in the attic the antenna will be about 17+ feet off the ground and if mounted to the roof about 20+ feet.

Im looking at the RCA ant751r antenna with the TVPRAMPIR amp but am open to any suggestions. Im looking to be fairly cost effective and definitely want to be able to get HD channels. I do have quite a bit of space in my attic.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jay
mountainrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Dec-2014, 6:42 PM   #2
timgr

JMO - with clay tiles and stucco walls, I think you are unlikely to be happy with an attic installation. Once you make the effort put the antenna on the roof, you may as well go with a taller mast. I'm using a 10' chain link top rail on my roof, which puts my antennas about 33' off the ground.

So which stations do you really want? You have two big groups at 136/170 and 77. It makes sense if you don't have a big antenna budget to get the LOS stations first, as those will require less antenna. Then look to fill in the other networks from the other direction. Likely you are going to get K04QP with the ANT751 pointed between 136 and 170.
timgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Dec-2014, 6:59 PM   #3
GroundUrMast

Clay tile roofing and stucco are generally tough on OTA signals when they stand between any antenna and the transmitter. I'd anticipate the need for mounting outside, clear of obstructions such as the roof tile and nearby trees and shrubs.

Though I might be inclined to try for the weaker signals from the east, it looks like you can get the major networks aiming between south and SE using a less aggressive size antenna than that which would be needed for the eastern group.

You'll need an antenna than can receive real channels starting as low as real CH-4. I'd suggest an Antennacraft HD850 pointed at about 145° per a compass.

I've been pleased with the performance of my RCA TVPRAMP1R but I'm looking forward to trying the new Antennas Direct preamp that will be shipping very soon.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Dec-2014, 7:36 PM   #4
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Tuscon is one of the more screwed up locales for antennas because of the location of the transmitters. Most are on Mt Lemmon but they're set so far east that Oro Valley, Casas Adobe, and most of the area east of I-10 in that vicinity cannot receive the Mt Lemmon-originated signals.

A number of the stations operate translators from either Tuscon Mtn or South Tuscon, but one station in particular, KMSB, does not. If you cannot pick up their channel 25 signal from Mt Lemmon, you're SOL for Fox.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Dec-2014, 9:31 PM   #5
mountainrage

I was looking to get NBC, ABC, Fox, PBS etc. but if i cant get any one of them its not the end of the world. That is a bummer to here about the clay tile affecting the antenna signal.

As far as best bang for my buck antenna and amp/booster to start with what would you guys reccomend? and where to buy it? I am probably more concerned with trying to keep the big bulky 1980s looking antennas to a minimum more than the price.

Do you guys know of a store in Tucson that i could go to to talk with someone?

I first would try it out in the attic and then on the roof with a mast. I'm sort of up high where i am at and dont have very much big trees to block reception around me.
Old 18-Dec-2014, 10:23 PM   #6
ADTech

You do not need or should you install any amps as they'll likely just overload and cause more problems.

A small, suburban 2-51 (2-69) combo should get you all the stuff from the south including that VHF-4 translator. You can give a ClearStream 2V a try also, it will very likely do just fine on that particular channel as well as everything else from the south. you can also use it to assess your reception from Mt Lemmon and see where you stand WRT those signals.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Old 19-Dec-2014, 6:10 AM   #7
mountainrage

Thanks for all the advise. I'm going to give the Clearstream 2V mounted to my roof a try. Any advice on what to mount the Jmount bracket to since I have a tile roof? Is the 20 inch J mount going to be tall enough or should I put it up on a taller mast to get it further above the tiles? Also does the antenna need to be grounded? Thanks, Jay
Old 19-Dec-2014, 11:31 AM   #8
ADTech

I would recommend only a temporary mounting facility (do not drill any holes!) until you've determined that you've found a suitable spot and antenna. Since a mount cannot be attached to a tile roof, you'll need to look for an appropriate fascia or trim board or a wall surface where a permanent mount can be affixed.

We recommend that all outdoor antennas be installed in accordance with national and local electrical codes. An example of a basic grounding setup is on our website in the "Learning Center".

You can certainly try the antenna in your attic, but don't be surprised if you have to move it outside.