TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 4-Jun-2013, 1:46 PM   #1
franmcc

OTA Near Major Airport

I live about a mile off the south end of runway 3 at Seattle International Airport. When I first moved to this area, about two years ago, I was about a mile off the south end of runway 2. I had no reception with an indoor antenna. I tried the small dish type antenna from Radio Shack, mounted on my upstairs balcony. It was a rented condo so I couldn't get on the roof. With this set up I was able to get a strong signal from PBS. NBC and ABC would come and go. Nothing from CBS.

I just bought a house about a mile off the south end of runway 3 at Seatac. I would like to try for OTA again. Is there an antenna that will work in all this air traffic.

I went to Radio Shack, just to take a stab at an indoor antenna. I got an ANT1650 Amplified Flat Multi-Directional Indoor Antenna. I have a strong signal from PBS and some cartoons, religious stations and ION Network. Nothing below channel 28. This unit is going back to Radio Shack. The previous owners left their dish network satellite behind. Maybe I can use its mounting bracket for an outdoor unit.

Is there any hope?
franmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Jun-2013, 4:17 PM   #2
elmo

There's always hope! But without a tvfool report for your location, we won't know for sure. Be sure to add that as soon as possible.
elmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Jun-2013, 2:34 AM   #3
franmcc

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...1ddafcafc383f3

Is this what you need?
Old 5-Jun-2013, 1:07 PM   #4
franmcc

The tvfool signal locator doesn't always work for my address. I have gotten the report a few times but most often I get an error message that it can't reconcile my address. I have done it enough times to know that I am typing the address correctly.
My zip code is 98198 and my house is located about a mile off the south end of Runway 3 (westernmost runway) at Seattle International Airport (SEA).
I'd like to add the link to the report but it just ain't workin'.
Old 5-Jun-2013, 4:41 PM   #5
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

The geocoding function has been (mostly) offline this past week. Until it is properly fixed, you'll have to use the coordinate input option. Bing's Maps function usually provides lat/lon coordinates in the format needed by TVFool's data entry screen.

Here's a generic area report for the intersection of S 200th and Des Moines Memorial: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...1dda4d659a5b9a

Select a small antenna that has both a UHF section and VHF elements. Aim it to the north selecting a location that offers the clearest view that is without buildings or trees as obstructions. Adjust as needed.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Jun-2013, 7:26 PM   #6
franmcc

But will the OTA signal make it through the air traffic? I have buildings and trees but the biggest obstruction is the airport (Seatac).
Old 6-Jun-2013, 10:45 AM   #7
No static at all

A Winegard 7694 or Antennacraft HBU-33 mounted outside should provide reliable reception at your location. Something smaller like an RCA ANT-751 or Antennas Direct C2-V may do the trick, but I would personally go a little larger. This will lessen the chance of signal interruptions from multipath reflections created by low flying aircraft.

I live directly underneath the flight path of Washington Dulles airport (3 miles from runway) & reception is good even with an attic mounted antenna. Occasional signal interruptions from low incoming aircraft occur rarely on certain channels, but not a deal breaker on my conventional TV's. The USB tuner I use on my computer suffers a bit more interruption, but I rarely use it.
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Jun-2013, 2:03 PM   #8
franmcc

Thanks, No Static! That's the info I am looking for.