TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 5-Mar-2010, 6:21 PM   #1
ajcjr68

OTA Reception problems

I am using a CM3671 antenna w/ a CM7777 pre-amp , all mounted 23' off the ground (which puts it a little over 10' higher than the peak of the roof). I am not getting ANY reception at all , no matter where I point the antenna. I'm thinking that I should get at least a couple channels because about a year and a half ago I WAS able to pick up WBAY's digital broadcast (they were the only one's broadcasting a digital signal at THAT time) , but nothing now...

Here's my TVFool link:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...b7c895663737e8

Thank's for any help or advise
ajcjr68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Mar-2010, 9:57 PM   #2
mtownsend

Hello and welcome!

Your antenna should be more than enough to get you several channels on your tvfool report. It appears that something is broken in your setup.

The first thing I would check is if the amp is working or not. If the amp is not receiving power or if the amp itself is broken, then it will block all the signals going into it.

One way to check if power is getting to the pre-amp is to take the coax connection right at the pre-amp input, and test for a DC voltage between the center conductor and the outer conductor. The Channel Master power injector nominally puts out 18 volts. If the voltage is at least 12 volts or higher by the time it reaches the pre-amp, then that should be sufficient (some voltage drop over the coax is expected, and that is why the power injector puts out 18 volts even through the amp itself only needs 12). If you're not seeing enough voltage at that point, then there's a problem with the power injector or the cabling between the power supply and amp.

If the amp is getting good power, then we'll have to check if the amp is blocking the signal or not. To do this, I would try removing the amp and power injector completely. Connect the antenna directly to the coax and feed that directly to your TV. Even without an amp, you should probably be able to pick up at least a few channels from the antenna directly.

If that doesn't work, then there may be something wrong with the antenna, the balun, or the wiring between the antenna and pre-amp.

If you can do some of these preliminary diagnostics and report on the results, we can decide what the next steps might be...
mtownsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Mar-2010, 11:44 PM   #3
ajcjr68

Thanks for the response , but while I was waiting for someone to respond I checked the pre-amp's power supply , and there was no output voltage. Opened it up and found a broken solder connection between the center conductor of the F-connector that supplies the pre-amp and the circuit board. Not just broken , but it was obviously a poor attempt at repairing it. I bought it from Solid Signal , so beware what you buy from them. I fixed it and now everything works fine.
ajcjr68 is offline   Reply With Quote