TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 6-Sep-2010, 5:12 PM   #1
tolthoff

Type of Antenna for Rancho Santa Margarita, California

I am looking for the best antenna to get HD channels in my area. Here is the link from the site for my address: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...a36277f0c62031

I live in a two story house with plenty of attic space for an antenna if an attic antenna would work. I could also mount it on the roof depending on the size of the antenna. Any suggestions on what I would need?

Also, could I use the existing coax from my cable company? Or from a previous DirecTV install?

I am a total noob so thanks for all your help.
tolthoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Sep-2010, 1:29 AM   #2
Dave Loudin

Click on any of the stations at the top of the list in your report. You'll see that you are in the shadow of a hill between you and Mt. Wilson where 98% of the LA TV transmitters are. You are almost certainly going to need to mount an antenna on the roof to get anything. Before recommending size, rerun your report via the maps option. Be sure the receive marker is pointing at your exact location (drag it as needed), then play with different values of antenna height, starting with the height of your roof. If the NM values suddenly jump, then you will be able to use a smaller antenna.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Sep-2010, 1:42 AM   #3
tolthoff

I hope I am doing this right. I went in and put my exact coordinates (longitude and latitude) and a height of 35 feet. Here is what I got: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...a36226d1626ccb

Will I be able to get any stations? Thanks for all your help.
Old 7-Sep-2010, 3:31 AM   #4
tolthoff

Ok I finally figured out how to use the map. I used various heights. It stayed in the bluish purple zone until about 50' then it turned bluer (the top channels 7 & 11 turned a light yellow color on the table). Thanks already for your help. It looks like I am in a bad zone. Does that ace me out of OTA Antennas?
Old 7-Sep-2010, 7:13 AM   #5
John Candle

Tv Reception

You will need a big antenna mounted above the roof not in attic pointed at 315 magnetic compass reading. The Winegard HD7698P . . on a tripod mount or eave mount . No cheap flimsy eve mount , this is a big antenna. http://www.solidsignal.com . Yes you can use the coax wiring that is in place now. Connect one Tv to begin with coax going from the antenna to the Tv , No Splitters. See how many channels can get. Then connect up the other Tv's with a splitter , the signal level will drop. If many of the signal levels of the channels drop down so low that the Tv's can not lock on then add a pre- amp signal amplifier , I suggest a winegard AP8257. Keep the antenna at a height on the roof that you can mount the antenna while reaching up a little , no need to do any monkey swinging - death defying manuvers , two or three extra feet up beyond your reach will not get any more signal. Here is a great way to keep the coax from swinging in the breeze , feed the coax up through the bottom inside the antenna mounting pipe and out the top of the pipe and connect to the antenna. . A channel master cm9030 eave mount or can even use a cm 9067 chimney mount.

Last edited by John Candle; 7-Sep-2010 at 7:50 AM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote