TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 8-Sep-2015, 5:16 PM   #1
lippertt

Want to get Detroit Windsor Stations Reliably to cancel Satellite

Have a 25ft-30ft tower with older style channel master antenna. What can I get for an antenna so that I can get detroit stations reliably. I can get 62 cbs always, Channel 7 wxyz - 95% of the time, Fox 2 is 50/50 and Wdiv 4 is about 75%, CBC Windsor is about 50%.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...8e036a6f16ab5e

Any help appreciated, I have a rotor, but was wondering whether a directional bow-tie antenna might be the way to go.

Would absolutely love to be able to cancel the bell satellite I am currently using because my current configuration is just too unreliable.

thanks.

tom
Old 8-Sep-2015, 5:27 PM   #2
Jake V

1. Do you know the model number of the antenna? If not, can you post a good picture?

2. Are you aiming about 279 degrees as measured by a real compass (just a bit north of Detroit / Windsor)?

3. You mentioned the antenna is older. Is the coax and connections also older? Even if the antenna is in perfect condition the connections and coax can weather and degrade the signal. Your signals are mostly two edge and on the weaker side. You're going to need a powerful antenna and maybe an amplifier (especially if driving several televisions).

4. You didn't mention it, but is your antenna on the roof? Are there large obstructions towards the west (big buildings, mountains, etc.)?
Jake V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Sep-2015, 10:36 PM   #3
lippertt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake V View Post
1. Do you know the model number of the antenna? If not, can you post a good picture?

this is circa 2000, it cost quite a bit, I'm thinking it's good quality, it's missing tubes on the flat section from various ice storms, I've uploaded a pic.

2. Are you aiming about 279 degrees as measured by a real compass (just a bit north of Detroit / Windsor)?

As best as I can, if my phones compass is correct it's slightly north of west

3. You mentioned the antenna is older. Is the coax and connections also older? Even if the antenna is in perfect condition the connections and coax can weather and degrade the signal. Your signals are mostly two edge and on the weaker side. You're going to need a powerful antenna and maybe an amplifier (especially if driving several televisions).

They looked surprisingly good to me when I scaled it, not rusted, just weathered

4. You didn't mention it, but is your antenna on the roof? Are there large obstructions towards the west (big buildings, mountains, etc.)?
10 ft above the peak. no large obstructions, definitely trees and windmills in the path however thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150908_181749.jpg (133.5 KB, 604 views)

Last edited by lippertt; 8-Sep-2015 at 10:38 PM. Reason: more information
Old 9-Sep-2015, 7:11 AM   #4
Stereocraig

I wouldn't be too concerned about the first two pair, cause they're for the lowest VHF stations. I would carefully try to straighten out that bent one, though.
You may want to replace your coax and balun and seal the connections, w/ Coax Seal. For starters, maybe just clean up the fittings and screw terminals, to get an idea where you stand.

Those vines may tangle up your rig eventually, too.
Stereocraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Sep-2015, 8:42 PM   #5
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Be sure to click on pending in the report for CHCH.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Sep-2015, 12:24 PM   #6
lippertt

So further to my question

What type of antenna would you recommend at this location, along with power boosters etc, to make this signal more reliable.

thanks.
Old 14-Sep-2015, 1:52 PM   #7
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

I suggest the Winegard HD7697P and a Channel Master 7778 preamp. Try the preamp with your present antenna first, then switch to the new antenna. The 7698 is bigger with a little more gain, but it is more difficult to aim because of the narrower beamwidth; that's the trade-off. The CM 7777 preamp has more gain, but it is more easily overloaded.
Quote:
was wondering whether a directional bow-tie antenna might be the way to go.
Most bow-tie antennas are for UHF only. You need an antenna for UHF (real channels 14-51) and VHF-High (real channels 7-13) for CFPL 10, CBET 9, and WJBK 7.
Quote:
As best as I can, if my phones compass is correct it's slightly north of west
I have heard reports that the iPhone compass isn't as accurate as a pocket magnetic compass.
Quote:
definitely trees and windmills in the path however
Trees can block signals.

You have terrain interference because of the curvature of the earth, but the signals can make it over the peaks to a certain extent because of diffraction. I don't think you can expect 100% reliability. You can see that your location is on the fringe of coverage.

The coverage and terrain profile for CBET are similar, but it is at a slightly different azimuth.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lipperttTVFwjbk.JPG (87.6 KB, 1071 views)
File Type: jpg lipperttTVFprofile1.JPG (119.2 KB, 1067 views)

Last edited by rabbit73; 14-Sep-2015 at 5:47 PM.
Old 14-Sep-2015, 4:49 PM   #8
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
I have heard reports that the iPhone compass isn't as accurate as a pocket magnetic compass.
My general observation is that some smartphone compasses are only accurate to +/- 180°. If the handset is equipped with a magnetometer chip, it's usually much better.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Sep-2015, 5:42 PM   #9
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

The coverage and terrain profile for WWJ CBS channel 44 are similar to WJBK and CBET, but CBS does much better because it is sending 425 kW of power in your direction instead of only about 25 kW.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg lipperttTVFwwj.JPG (89.7 KB, 1095 views)
File Type: jpg lipperttTVFprofile3WWJ.JPG (117.6 KB, 1083 views)
Old 21-Sep-2015, 2:54 PM   #10
lippertt

So it sounds like there is not a miracle antenna that will fix my issue, stupid round earth. WWJ is the strongest signal, it hardly ever fails, too bad there isn't any type of uniformity required for signal power.