TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 5-Mar-2017, 12:35 PM   #1
Spyderelcd

New member looking for antenna advice please

Hi I wondering if anybody could could advise me what would be the best antenna to get for my location
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e6a4f57355a5d8

Thanks
Old 5-Mar-2017, 1:38 PM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Based on the limited data present in the plot, your location is one that appears to have Philly, NYC, and Albany as potential targets. Two out of three would require a very large all-channel antenna with a preamp. Your simplest solution would be one of those antennas on a heavy duty rotor. Your final choice would depend on whether or not you desire reception of all three markets when compared to the actual available signal paths as seen from your potential mounting locations. You may have to base your choice on that terminal signal path.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Mar-2017, 1:59 PM   #3
Spyderelcd

So do you recommend the Clearstream 4v on a rotor? I would like to be able to get philoy and ny
Old 5-Mar-2017, 2:58 PM   #4
Spyderelcd

What about a poloroid AMA-1850p would that work to get philly and ny channels?
Old 5-Mar-2017, 5:59 PM   #5
Jake V

I agree with ADTech. But it's going to depend upon what you want.

If this were me, and if I wanted to supply signal to more than one television, and if you don't mind experimenting, for UHF I'd start with an Antennas Direct DB-8e. I'd set the panels to an 'outside corner' where one panel faced Philadelphia (297 degrees) and the other New York (23 degrees). You'll need to experiment with aiming since when aiming the DB-8e panels separately they seem to work better if kept at 90 degrees (to form an outside corner).

You'd also need a VHF antenna (Low & High) and would need to choose either Philadelphia or NYC for your VHF channels.

Others will comment. This is just an option if you want a fixed antenna solution.

Also, forget the Polaroid AMA-1850p. The Clearstream 4 would also be a good choice for one direction, but I doubt the VHF add on would be sufficient. For an all-channel antenna on a rotor maybe the Winegard HD8200U. There are other possibilities.
Jake V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Mar-2017, 10:50 PM   #6
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
So do you recommend the Clearstream 4v on a rotor
No. When I said a large all channel antenna, I meant really really LARGE. Think 10' wide by 14' long.

Quote:
poloroid AMA-1850p
Never heard of it. I'd have to guess it's one of those cheap imports from China that make mileage claims for receiving from two states over.

You really need to decide which city(ies) you want to focus on and look at that terminal signal path with a very critical eye. There is no margin for either error or for shortcuts if you want to be very successful.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Mar-2017, 1:59 AM   #7
Spyderelcd

Thank you for the input I would really like to get philly and network stations. So I will look into the models suggested
Old 6-Mar-2017, 11:36 AM   #8
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake V View Post
For an all-channel antenna on a rotor maybe the Winegard HD8200U. There are other possibilities.
I'd aim the HD8200U at Philly and get a second antenna(HD7698P) for NY. This eliminates a rotator. Both antennas will need preamps. Get an external tuner for one of the antennas. I doubt that you'll get WNBC.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote