TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 23-Apr-2013, 11:14 PM   #1
enajane

Reception trouble near Baltimore

tvfool report

I've been trying to get local stations over the air, and all come in except for Fox WBFF. I'm using an RCA basic indoor antenna. An outdoor one isn't really an option, and I live on the ground floor of an apartment building. I bought the RCA one as a cheap test to see if I could get *any* channels, seeing as part of my place is underground.

I'm able to get all of the channels highlighted in green on that report except for WBFF Fox and W45DN-D (whatever that is), but CBS is picky--it required carefully adjusting the antenna, while the others came in no matter what. Do I need a different antenna to get Fox too?

I don't understand why I'm not receiving Fox--the signal seems strong according to the report and the CW signal comes from the same place.
enajane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Apr-2013, 2:26 PM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

The signal is strong but it is distorted by something in the signal path that's causing an undesirable reflection.

First, exhaust all possibilities as to the location of the antenna. If that doesn't work out, select a small antenna that's more directional (one with a reflector screen for UHF, for example) and try again.

Do not use any amplifiers.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Apr-2013, 3:04 PM   #3
enajane

I carried the antenna all over the apartment (and put it a different heights varying from -3 to ~15 ft above ground level) and succeeded in finding places where I lost other channels (almost always CBS first), but none where I gained Fox or any other channels.

Do you mean an antenna something like this (which looks to be a product your company sells?) or this?

It looks like WNUV and WBFF are transmitted from the same tower (and at the same height), though WBFF is transmitted at lower power. Is the power difference enough to cause me not to receive WBFF at all?
enajane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Apr-2013, 6:26 PM   #4
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

The C2V with indoor base and stand is my favorite "indoor" antenna, however, it's rather large for many folks. You could try the Micron-R, but it may not pick up channels 11 & 13 well enough.

Your problem with the reception of WBFF is due to what I described earlier, not signal power.

I would NOT recommend the second antenna you proposed, one of the "Lava" branded items, as it has an amplifier.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 24-Apr-2013 at 6:30 PM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote