TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 20-Dec-2014, 5:59 PM   #1
mike 66

Antenna/dvr

I have a CM 5020 mounted in my attic with a rotor and a CM7778 amp. My problem is before I cut the cable need to solve a problem. We mostly watch recorded shows all of which are on broadcast TV. I am thinking about CM DVR PLUS but need to record on two channels that I can not pickup at the same time. I have experimented with this with cheap antennas that were given to me and know I can do this. I am picking up mutiple 3 NBC,3 FOX,2 ABC,2 CBS,2 PBS,1 CW,1 MYN and 2 ION when pointed in various direction but have not been able to pickup cominations I need in any one direction. I like the fact that I am lucky enough to get so many channels and would not mind picking up more cause a lot of secondary channels air different programs.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d2437fcd708522

With right conditions I have picked up 18.1 77 miles away and have no problems with getting 21.1 and 13.1 if pointed in that direction.
Question 1
Will DVR get program info from more than one broadcast station so that I can record from two different location or does it record simple by channel and time.
QUESTION 2.
Thinking about roof mounting and buying Windguard 8200U,another CM5020,or maybe HD stacker to combined with attic mounted CM5020. Which antenna would be best for my area .open to any other Antenna also. Wish they made omni that would pickup all these stations. Thanks you for any help I can get.
mike 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Dec-2014, 7:22 PM   #2
StephanieS

What combination of signals do you seek? Greensboro only? Roanoke only?The "two birds with one stone" approach?

Greensboro is fairly simple and ought to yield you a full stable of affiliates. Roanoke has some possibilities. It all depends what you want.

Are you shooting through trees etc.?

The CM5020 while a quality antenna, in this application I would not have selected it. All your receivable signals are UHF save for PBS in Roanoke which is on real channel 3. WCYB on real channel 5 from the Tri-Cities is very weak and at best would only appear under the most ideal conditions.

If I were you I'd go UHF exclusive design mounted on the roof. If your foliage isn't obtrusive you could use an Antennas Direct DB8e. One panel pointed to magnetic 160, the other to magnetic 7. The signals at magnetic 307 are so strong pointing away, they should still decode fine.

Last edited by StephanieS; 20-Dec-2014 at 7:33 PM.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Dec-2014, 7:38 PM   #3
mike 66

The "two birds with one stone" approach?

We record most shows so I would like to get all of Greensboro plus ION on 38.1 can't get 16.1 ION very good all at the same time. Sould I just move the Antenna I have to the roof which would be at about 45' or leave it were it is and add another antenna pointed inthe other direction and combined the signals? Weather and time of year greatly effect the one in the attic.Thanks
Old 20-Dec-2014, 7:55 PM   #4
StephanieS

A low cost test is to mount the CM5020 on your roof orientated to magnetic heading 125.

I would expect with an attic installation you'd have difficulty with WGPX on RF 14. In an attic setting, you are asking signals to penetrate your roof. Weak signals can't make that "punch" through. Generally when you start to get into the 20s in terms of db signal strength this becomes a problem.

I'd expect the strongest signals (NBC and PBS) to be picked up off the sides or back of the antenna. They are quite strong.

If ION isn't reliable when installed outdoors nudge closer to magnetic 120. See if you can find a sweet spot between the Greensboro cluster and WPXR. If that doesn't yield success, a more flexible antenna like the Antennas Direct DB8e might be a better fit with the ability to aim each panel independent of one another.

Cheers.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Dec-2014, 8:03 PM   #5
mike 66

Thank you so much I'LL give it a try.