TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 26-Jan-2015, 1:13 PM   #1
rosoboy

Antenna Suggestions

It must be new post type madness for all you guys on here, but after reading posts in here I see why people come here. I have a 6' pole on top of my house that I used for wireless internet that is now abandoned. I live in a flat area, lots of farming but good healthy tree's as well. Lots of harsh weather conditions and very cold temps. It would be nice to get the Canadian channels as well and it looks like CKY shouldn't be to bad but CBC might be far fetched. Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...2c152435825353
rosoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Jan-2015, 1:41 PM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

CKY probably won't happen as it's buried in the noise prevalent on VHF as are all the rest of the VHF stations on your listing. CBC is impossible.

Your only real option is the small assortment of Roseau translators. There's no need to shoot for the Williams translators, they're duplicates.

Slim pickings:

http://www.rabbitears.info/market.php
Got to market (134) Roseau, select it, then click on Expand/Contract All for a listing.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 26-Jan-2015 at 1:43 PM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Jan-2015, 3:13 PM   #3
rosoboy

So I should just use rabbit ears?
rosoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Jan-2015, 5:51 PM   #4
stvcmty

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosoboy View Post
So I should just use rabbit ears?
A “rabbit ears” antenna works best for VHF frequencies. You have UHF stations.

(http://www.rabbitears.info/ is a site with indepth data on TV stations).

The report link has a warning “WARNING: Address was only resolved to block level and might not be that close to your actual location. For more accurate results, try entering a specific address or coordinates.”

The Translators on channels 38, 42, 46, 48 and 50 on true heading of 307 degrees are your best bet for TV. Depending on the construction of your residence, where you TV is, direction everything faces, and what not, an indoor antenna may work, or it may not. An indoor UN-amplified indoor antenna would be what to look for.

Given all the translators are from the same spot, if you can put a UHF antenna outside, that would be best. Peak it for channel 50 and be done.
stvcmty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Jan-2015, 5:58 PM   #5
Jake V

What you use depends on what works. Your 5 channels in green are all UHF and all at 305 degrees on a compass. They are all reasonably strong, so you might try an indoor antenna (a UHF antenna, rabbit ears are for VHF although they do gather some UHF signal). See what they have at your local stores and try it (save the receipt).

Since you have a 6' pole in place, adding an antenna should be a simple job (assuming the pole is the right diameter). It will be far more reliable and less subject to indoor electrical interference. For a fairly inexpensive solution I'd consider any of the following:

- Eagle Aspen EASDTV2BUHF - $27
- Clearstream 2 - $80
- Antennacraft U200 - $25

There are numerous options.
Jake V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Jan-2015, 6:13 PM   #6
stvcmty

A word of warning, don’t put too much money into this.

All those translators are not protected in the repack the FCC wants to do for the UHF TV spectrum. They could disappear and never be replaced. The channels above 37 have a good chance of being “reclaimed” if the FCC, AT&T and Verizon get their way.

Your signals are strong, they all are from the same direction, and they are close in frequency. A dipole cut for 650MHz could be made for nearly nothing and it would have a good chance of receiving the translators.
stvcmty is offline   Reply With Quote