TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 13-Jan-2014, 2:46 PM   #1
shenzo09

Help in Rochester, NY with CBS

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5b94e29e1009cd

there is my link.

i am using an Audiovox ANT751R outdoor antenna. it is mounted about 8 ft above ground on the back of my garage.

according to my TV fool link, all of the stations i want are directly southeast of my location. and i have a pretty clear shot at that direction, when i point the antenna there, i get all channels, with pretty great signal strength except CBS(8.1). cbs i dont get at all....

here is the interesting thing, if i point the antenna due south(basically directly at my neighbors house, i get cbs, but get crappy signal on the other stations..

this is my first attempt at getting a OTA signal. maybe im missing something. any input would be great and appreciated.
shenzo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Jan-2014, 3:31 PM   #2
teleview

+=>
-----
The Situation/Problem Most likely is , Multi-Path Reflections Tv Signals Bouncing All Around off of trees and buildings including your own roof and building and etc. .

Get the ANT751 antenna , Up In The Air.

The less obstructions to no obstructions in the directions of reception and the surrounding area the better for reception.

Including your own roof and building as a obstruction to reception in all directions of reception.

Get the antenna Up In The Air clear of obstructions in all directions.

---------------

Digital Broadcast Tv Tuners can develop - Digital Glitches - that are not cleared out with simple channel scans.

To clear tuner do , Double Rescan.

http://www.wchstv.com/DoubleReScanAlert.pdf.

Last edited by teleview; 14-Jan-2014 at 3:22 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 14-Jan-2014, 1:04 PM   #3
tomfoolery

I live 5-1/2 miles east of those transmitters, which are all clumped on Pinnacle Hill at I-490 and Monroe Ave. I would think that if you get all the other stations except 8.x, it would have to be multipath, as Teleview suggested. In fact, 8.x was always one of, if not THE, strongest stations at my house. Now that I have an outdoor antenna (in the attic), they're all 100%, including 10 and 13 (h-vhf), which were always a little problematic with an indoor antenna. Since you can't read higher than 100%, I can no longer see any signal strength/quality difference between stations, so I don't know their relative strengths at the antenna any longer.

All I could suggest is that you move the 751 around until you get a clean signal from all stations. Perhaps clamp it to a tall ladder and move it around along the wall. Probably best to try a location above the roof, though. According to the gurus here, sometimes even inches can make a big difference, especially with UHF. Could be that the reflection from your neighbor's house (or somewhere else) is cancelling or confusing the direct signal enough to make 8.x un-receivable.

Any chance there's a reflective surface behind the siding that the antenna is mounted on? My neighbor's house has a layer of something like that under the siding, which messed with his reception (attic mounted) until he moved the antenna so it was looking through the roof instead.
tomfoolery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Jan-2014, 1:42 PM   #4
shenzo09

my siding is aluminum. Maybe that could cause an issue. and when you say up in the air, is the garage roof high enough? 12 ft up or so. i will climb up there this weekend as long as the snow stays away and give it a shot. thank you for the input.
shenzo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Jan-2014, 2:08 PM   #5
tomfoolery

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenzo09 View Post
my siding is aluminum. Maybe that could cause an issue. and when you say up in the air, is the garage roof high enough? 12 ft up or so.
I would think that aluminium siding can be nothing but bad for reception, with reflections from behind and/or the side of the antenna potentially playing hell with the signals.

Mine is only about 12 ft above ground level, in the attic, which is plenty high for where I am. Just down the street a little, I can see the lights on the towers at night (trees not in the way), which is as good as it gets.

WROC's tower is about 400 ft, and Pinnacle Hill is about 500 ft above Lake Ontario, and 750 ft above mean sea level, so if you know the elevation where your house is, you could figure the difference, but that area is relatively flat, so I would think elevation is probably not going to be a problem unless there's some local hill or structure in the way. Higher is always better, but often a little higher is good enough.

Maybe a chimney mount would be best. I just don't like holes in my roof, so I'm a bit biased there.
tomfoolery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Jan-2014, 2:32 PM   #6
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

You will need to get the antenna out from behind the metal siding as it will reflect and block all direct signals.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Jan-2014, 2:33 PM   #7
No static at all

You are in a null due to channel 8's highly directional antenna. That plus the inherent multipath are likely the cause. Try moving the antenna up/down/side to side & it should solve your problem.

If this were analog, you would likely get the channel, but the picture would be very ghosty.
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Jan-2014, 3:34 PM   #8
teleview

+=>
-----
Disconnect and Remove Any and All Antenna System Amplifiers including All parts of amplifiers , The Preamp Unit , The Power Injector , The Power Supply , and any other antenna system amplifiers are Disconnected and Removed.