TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 26-Feb-2012, 8:21 PM   #1
fodorothy

New HOA rules require me to move my antenna

Hello,
my HOA is changing their rules and will no longer allow me to have my antenna on the roof, instead all FM and TV antenna's must be installed in the attic. My antenna is a Winegard HDTV 7696P, can I use it in the attic, or do I have to buy another antenna?
Thanks
fodorothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Feb-2012, 2:01 AM   #2
Billiam

Quote:
Originally Posted by fodorothy View Post
Hello,
my HOA is changing their rules and will no longer allow me to have my antenna on the roof, instead all FM and TV antenna's must be installed in the attic. My antenna is a Winegard HDTV 7696P, can I use it in the attic, or do I have to buy another antenna?
Thanks
They can't do that. Not legal.

Read this and then show it to them.

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/over-air-r...n-devices-rule
Billiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Feb-2012, 12:41 PM   #3
fodorothy

Using a Winegard 7696P in the attic

Hello,
I need to move my antenna off the roof, does anyone know if a Winegard HDTV 7696P can be used in the attic, or should I purchase another antenna?
Thanks
Old 27-Feb-2012, 4:04 PM   #4
Electron

Tv antennas and Tv reception

Do as the the other question askers do and Do This-->http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=4. enter in the Exact address to make the tvfool radar report and make the antenna height 25 feet.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 28-Feb-2012 at 9:47 PM. Reason: Merged related threads
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Feb-2012, 5:23 PM   #5
fodorothy

Thanks for the links, good info, but didn't exactly answer my question. I guess I should re phrase, will an outdoor antenna function indoors too, or will it only work correctly outdoors?
Thanks again.
Old 27-Feb-2012, 5:53 PM   #6
GroundUrMast

Antennas designed for installation outdoors can be used indoors. The reason we ask to see a link to your TV Fool report is that that information will help us understand if you have enough signal for an indoor or attic installation to be successful.

If you are concerned about your privacy, feel free to say so. If that's the case, please understand that with out knowledge specific to your situation, we're limited to offering vague, general advise.

If you live in the US, your HOA can not make you remove your antenna. Unfortunately, Canadians don't enjoy such protection from overbearing entities.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 28-Feb-2012 at 9:48 PM. Reason: Merged related threads
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Feb-2012, 6:02 PM   #7
MisterMe

Antennas receive RF signals. Outside or inside does not change this basic fact of physics. However, the signal must be above a certain intensity threshold for the tuner to decode it. There is no way to tell if your antenna or any antenna will receive sufficient signal strength without the TV Fool radar plot that Electron asked for.
MisterMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Feb-2012, 6:32 PM   #8
fodorothy

I think I did this right
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=90
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...0b86553d904bac
Thanks again for the help

Last edited by fodorothy; 28-Feb-2012 at 1:48 AM.
Old 28-Feb-2012, 5:37 PM   #9
rickcain

I guess the best answer is "maybe". You just have to try it and see. Many factors reduce in-attic reception such as radiant barrier, A/C air hoses. roofing materials, moisture on the roof, etc. Your map indicates you are not that far away from many towers so its unlikely you will lose many channels, but you never know.

Mine is in my attic and due to the fortunate angle of my house and its placement at the top of a hill, I get very good attic reception. I did have to leave off a big area of radiant barrier to allow the signals to penetrate the roof though.
rickcain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Feb-2012, 4:04 AM   #10
GroundUrMast

If the roof is made with asphalt shingles on wood deck and frame, you have a very good chance of success. (If the HD7696P will fit in the available space.)

As @rickcain has already observed, there are many materials that can make attic reception problematic.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 29-Feb-2012 at 7:02 PM. Reason: Tone
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Feb-2012, 5:25 AM   #11
Electron

If you can get a HD7698P antenna in the attic and aim the antenna at about 316 degree magnetic compass then put the HD7698P in the attic. If it will not fit then put a HD7696P in the attic.

Last edited by Electron; 1-Mar-2012 at 2:39 AM.
Old 29-Feb-2012, 5:49 PM   #12
Billiam

fodorothy. Please read the FCC link that I posted a couple of days ago. These HOA's cannot legally force you to remove an outdoor antenna as long as it is mounted in a certain way. And this holds true to small satellite dishes as well.
Old 29-Feb-2012, 9:54 PM   #13
ghz24

fight 'em unless you want it in the attic

I agree there is no way they can make you move a properly installed antenna.
Even if you just bought the house and (signed their contract) they can't even delay your legal installation of an outdoor antenna.

And they changed their rules!!... (to contradict federal law) the only way you could lose is if you roll over and let them.

Personally I'd put up a bigger one even if I secretly hated the antenna and wanted to move it into the attic just to publicly defend the right to have one.
ghz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Mar-2012, 2:53 AM   #14
Electron

Billiam please think about what you say with print. "mounted in a certain way" is a loop hole statement. Now the hoa can say , well Ok you can have have a antenna but you have mount it this "certain way" -> you have to mount it so no one can see it from the street or the antenna must be mounted behind the chimney. Or the antenna must be this way or that way. The truth is the antenna can be mounted any place that gets good clear reception at the place is of your choice. Do not use words or information that opens up loop holes. The Federal Law covers all the loop holes , however it is not a good idea to go around opening up loop holes so some one can stick a finger through and poke ya in the eye.

Last edited by Electron; 1-Mar-2012 at 2:55 AM.
Old 23-Mar-2012, 1:57 PM   #15
Billiam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron View Post
Billiam please think about what you say with print. "mounted in a certain way" is a loop hole statement. Now the hoa can say , well Ok you can have have a antenna but you have mount it this "certain way" -> you have to mount it so no one can see it from the street or the antenna must be mounted behind the chimney. Or the antenna must be this way or that way. The truth is the antenna can be mounted any place that gets good clear reception at the place is of your choice. Do not use words or information that opens up loop holes. The Federal Law covers all the loop holes , however it is not a good idea to go around opening up loop holes so some one can stick a finger through and poke ya in the eye.
Anyone that reads the FCC rule for this kind of application will understand that you can mount the antenna up to 12 feet above the roof line without fear of any potential legal hassles from an HOA.
Old 25-Apr-2012, 7:48 PM   #16
crasch

All you have to say is that you cannot receive certain stations when the antenna is mounted in the attic. Once you say that, they have no recourse based on FCC rules. The only other rules that would apply would be safety laws and regulations on mounting the antenna or dish.
From the FCC page:
Quote:
Q: What restrictions prevent a viewer from receiving an acceptable quality signal? Can a homeowners association or other restricting entity establish enforceable preferences for antenna locations?

A: For antennas designed to receive analog signals, such as TVBS, a requirement that an antenna be located where reception would be impossible or substantially degraded is prohibited by the rule. However, a regulation requiring that antennas be placed where they are not visible from the street would be permissible if this placement does not prevent reception of an acceptable quality signal or impose unreasonable expense or delay. For example, if installing an antenna in the rear of the house costs significantly more than installation on the side of the house, then such a requirement would be prohibited. If, however, installation in the rear of the house does not impose unreasonable expense or delay or preclude reception of an acceptable quality signal, then the restriction is permissible and the viewer must comply.

The acceptable quality signal standard is different for devices designed to receive digital signals, such as DBS antennas, digital broadband radio service antennas, digital television ("DTV") antennas, and digital fixed wireless antennas. For a digital antenna to receive or transmit an acceptable quality signal, the antenna must be installed where it has an unobstructed, direct view of the satellite or other device from which signals are received or to which signals are to be transmitted. Unlike analog antennas, digital antennas, even in the presence of sufficient over-the-air signal strength, will at times provide no picture or sound unless they are placed and oriented properly

Last edited by crasch; 25-Apr-2012 at 7:54 PM.
crasch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Aug-2012, 1:29 AM   #17
steve_b

don't give in to these gestapo tactics

Leave your antenna where it is. Provide the HOA with a copy of PRB-1 and get a receipt that it was given to them and follow it up with a cease and desist letter that what they are doing it not legal and you will proceed with legal filing with the FCC and Federal courthouses if they continue. PRB-1 CANNOT be superceded by an HOA or local governement
as at is written.

don't give in to these gestapo tactics from these dictators
steve_b is offline   Reply With Quote