TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 25-Mar-2013, 1:42 AM   #1
OberGeiss

07083 (NJ) OTA ...a wee bit of a quandry

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...1ddaf4977c93f5

Above is my current analysis report, dated today 3.24.13.
I am running a AD 91XG UHF antenna, to a AD CPA-19 amplifier, all new cable a year ago (RG-6) and new compression fittings, to a Toner Cable 1 ghz 3 way balanced splitter (XGVS 3B), to 3 sets in the home.

Problem is still a reliable signal for WLIW, virtual 21.1, 2 and 3.
Pretty much my favorite channels so getting this right is important to me.....admittedly first world problems.

Have not used Coax seal and have had a lot of wind and bad weather since install one year ago.

Seemed more solid, reception that is, when I installed.
Thinking I need to re=point the antenna perhaps but beyond that I am open to ideas, including new antenna if apropropriate. All the NYC channels at 22 degrees are useful as well so I'd like to continue getting those as well.

I checked my coordinates with Google Earth and verified that I have them entered correctly...one thing, the report lists all the NYC Manhattan broadcast towers as 22 miles but I'm fairly sure, also checking Google Earth, that the current broadcast location (Empire State Building) is only 16 miles or so. Will be even closer once broadcasting resumes from Freedom Tower.

All insights appreciated.

Best, David
OberGeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Mar-2013, 2:36 AM   #2
OberGeiss

PS....seems as if my one basement set using outboard Dish Tv brand HD Tuner noticeably less prone to drop out on 21.1, 2 and 3. My other two sets are quite recent LGF's with built in HD tuners/David
Old 25-Mar-2013, 11:55 AM   #3
elmo

So are you aimed right at WLIW? And since you note a discrepancy in locations, are you certain of WLIW's location too? Some coordinates here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WLIW

Of course, you can always tweak and check your reception for a stronger signal. But keep in mind that some tuners are just better than others.

Any chance that those other PBS stations could bring you the same content; WNJN & WNJB? You'll have to add a VHF antenna of course.
elmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Mar-2013, 2:43 PM   #4
OberGeiss

This is starting to look as if it's a tuner problem with the LG HDTV sets.
The Dynex monitor in the basement using outboard Dish TV brand HD Tuner is pulling in solid ......did re-aim the antenna a bit but still the LG tuners not doing the trick.

Does not seem as if the Dish TV HD tuner is still available....so has anyone tried a variety of outboard HD tuners......which would be a good choice......I don't need DVR capability or ability to watch one and record another.

Thanks, David
Old 25-Mar-2013, 3:42 PM   #5
elmo

In my experience, my TV's do a better job of sorting out an iffy signal, vs my external tuner. Which for me is Samsung & Sharp vs HD Homerun, which is a pretty limited comparison. But I'd bet that most of the tuner chipsets are not as varied as brand names are. Maybe I'm wrong on that though. I just think that consumers don't care squat about tuner reception (as long as it works good enough given a good signal) vs all the bells and whistles that really differentiate the brands.
Old 25-Mar-2013, 3:56 PM   #6
OberGeiss

Thanks Elmo, appreciated.
I just tightened all coax connections and added an amp for one of the LG sets (between splitter output for that set an the lead to the set. Still the channel I am after is unreliable.
Spoke to a AD rep and he suggested possibility of a distribution amp or, if that is not successful trying an outoard tuner for that LG set. Still the other set with the Dish Network tuner is doing fine. Best, David
Old 27-Mar-2013, 2:42 PM   #7
OberGeiss

All things considered equal, is mast height critical?
I am think that I will raise my rig about 5-10 feet and re-try?
I am about 22'-24' above ground now.
Does this make sense before swapping out tuners and trying different amps?
Thanks, David
Old 27-Mar-2013, 5:29 PM   #8
elmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by OberGeiss View Post
All things considered equal, is mast height critical?
I am think that I will raise my rig about 5-10 feet and re-try?
I am about 22'-24' above ground now.
Does this make sense before swapping out tuners and trying different amps?
Thanks, David
More height usually helps. As for how much and will it be enough to help in this case, hard to say. You can try some various virtual height test by running different reports with different height inputs. Then you can compare the signal #'s to see the difference in expected gain. While not the final answer, it may give you an indication of results.

Sure seems like that antenna is up to the job. Have you also tried a single drop of coax from antenna to TV - no nothing in between? If you can check the signal strength in the TV's diagnostics screen, you should be able to make a comparison. If you can't run a test drop, then maybe take out the splitter and just connect the coax together using a barrel connector. Basically, trouble shoot it with as few factors involved as possible.
Old 7-Apr-2013, 2:36 PM   #9
OberGeiss

Good Day Elmo and other forumites...well it turns out that raising the rig by about 10-12 feet did the trick. Glad I took this route in lieu of buying new tuners and other hardware. Many thanks. David in 07083