TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 2-Jan-2017, 3:26 PM   #21
jerrymc

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoxguy View Post
Jerry. You are NOT in the twilight zone about losing ota-hd signals during temperature drops. I cut the cord from Cromcrap 3 years ago. I bought a new antenna and it is in my living room facing the bay window. NYC is 20 nautical miles away. I live in central Jersey. During the day I have 40+ channels. Both VHF and UHF. During the summer ALL channels will be received. Now that winter is here, I get most stations during day. Once the temps drop at night, I start to lose signals and I am really getting PO'd adjusting the antenna every day. There is another problem I have read about. The FCC always some UHF and VHF stations to operate at lower power. That happens with me here on channel 11 WPIX NY. My antenna is hooked direct to my TV using rg6 cable. When I can do some more research on this I will post an article. You are not alone with the cold weather phenomenon.
Thank you for verifying I'm not crazy...Lol

After we had the wind storm a couple Sunday's ago, breaking the RCA rotor motor and coax cable end, my antenna simply spun in circles with any minor breeze.

Apparently the RCA motor nuts and washers came off inside the metal box! I know we have occasional winds here in Fontana, but something tells me those nuts were already lose. I'll need to take the entire antenna and rotor down to see if it can be repaired.
In the meantime, I had to tie a couple guy wires to hold it in the direction of Mt. Wilson. (my white trash quick fix...)
(see pic below)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7j...ew?usp=sharing

I also got a new HDB91X antenna on Black Friday that I'm going to try out when the weather gets a bit warmer. I've read many good Amazon reviews for this antenna, and at less than $50, I thought I'd try it out.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7j...ew?usp=sharing
http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...source=inhouse

Located in foothills behind Mt. Baldy, and experiencing signal loss and pixelation depending on time of day.
Using RCA rotator motor now to tweak.

Location Radar
jerrymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Jan-2017, 3:46 PM   #22
Nascarken
Banned

Hi Jerrymc good day I hope all is well with the antenna and rotator is OK but if u won't channel's night and the antenna needs to go up like 5more ft and the HDB91xg good pick i one I don't no if. You looked at the costermers review on the 91xg with a channel master 777amp but first I used a 7778and then 7777 because I would Loo's a channel at a11am and comes back in at like 7pm but then i put the 7777 amp in places know the channel was 80 Miles out rain or snow or wind no dropouts 70%when u put up an antennas when 10ft or more need to be guy wires be cause of hi wind but if u go up 5ft higher I think it will fixs the dropout well good luck!
Nascarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Oct-2020, 1:33 PM   #23
olnick

I have just the opposite problem! the colder it is the more chs I can receive?? Now I get NONE ota!!! time to start at the ant and work my way back down prior to snow on the roof!

Olnick
olnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Oct-2020, 1:47 PM   #24
jerrymc

Cold Weather, Cloud Covering, signal strength...

Quote:
Originally Posted by olnick View Post
I have just the opposite problem! the colder it is the more chs I can receive?? Now I get NONE ota!!! time to start at the ant and work my way back down prior to snow on the roof!

Olnick
Is there a cloud covering over your area?
I have noticed if the weather is cold, BUT a cloud covering above us, we get more signal strength.
I believe the UHF/VHF frequencies may be bouncing off the clouds and/or the mountain tops/edges near our location.

If the temps drop below 60F, with No cloud covering, we lose a few stations.
We're still using the RCA Pre-Amp at the mount, and a Motorola dist. amp in the attic to drive all 5 TV hookups.

Located in foothills behind Mt. Baldy, and experiencing signal loss and pixelation depending on time of day.
Using RCA rotator motor now to tweak.

Location Radar
jerrymc is offline   Reply With Quote