TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 9-Sep-2013, 12:47 AM   #1
cessna89811

Red face Need help choosing a per-amp

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae095c8d9982

I have a attic mounted Clearstream 4 with a VHF reflector. I am interested in getting better reception for PBS channel 8. It pixelates and I get great signal only in the morning. I am using the new winegard boost preamp (20vhf gain /16uhf gain) along with a distributor amp to help with over 100' of rg6 to 4 tv. I get over 63 channels. I am looking at the winegard ap8800 (28vhf gain/19uhf gain). Do you think the ap8800 could help?
cessna89811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Sep-2013, 7:26 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

Attics can be tough...

The best location for reception is rarely in the attic. I would suggest you move the antenna(s) outside, clear of obstructions.

If that's not an option you're open to, before you add any more amplification, you need to consider upgrading your VHF reflector to a more capable High-VHF antenna. While the Antennas Direct VHF reflector is a very good product, it simply lacks the gain that you need in your application.

I'd suggest the Antennas Direct ClearStream 5 or the Antennacraft Y10713. The Y10713 is quite long, another possible solution may be found in the shorter Y5713.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 9-Oct-2013 at 8:27 PM. Reason: grammar
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Sep-2013, 12:42 PM   #3
cessna89811

Thanks for your advice. I wish I could install outside, but the attic is my only option.

I will take your advice and get the ClearStream 5 since the reflector only gives about 3.1 VHF gain.
Old 9-Sep-2013, 1:20 PM   #4
cessna89811

What is the min/max distance between uhf antenna and vhf antenna

What is the min/max distance to install between uhf antenna and vhf antennas.

I am looking to add a VHF antenna to my attic installed ClearStreamâ„¢ 4. I am considering 3 antennas to choose from (ClearStream 5 , ANTENNACRAFT Y5-7-13 or ANTENNACRAFT Y10-7-13).

Who makes a good combiner and what is the min/max distance that I should install one of the above vhf antennas.
Old 9-Sep-2013, 1:24 PM   #5
cessna89811

What is the min/max distance to install between uhf antenna and vhf antennas.

I am considering 3 antennas to choose from (ClearStream 5 , ANTENNACRAFT Y5-7-13 or ANTENNACRAFT Y10-7-13).

Who makes a good combiner and what is the min/max distance that I should install one of the above vhf antennas.
Old 9-Sep-2013, 4:42 PM   #6
GroundUrMast

Don't place any antenna in front of another. There is no maximum separation distance other than the practical limit of cable length. The minimum separation would be about 3', more is better.

If I were to list the H-VHF antennas in order of gain, the Y10713 would top the list. The CS5 spec of 7.6 dBi converts to about 5.5 dBd. (The Y5713 is spec'd at 6.9 dBd and the Y10713 has 9.4 dBd gain per the manufacturer.)

Given the trouble you've had, I'd suggest you use the most gain that will fit in the space (while still being able to aim and clear other metal objects.)

By the time you pay for shipping, Radio Shack is as good a source as any for a UHF/VHF combiner for use in an attic.

Old 9-Sep-2013, 4:57 PM   #7
cessna89811

Smile

Thanks again for your advice. I am going with the AntennaCraft Y10713 and the RCA UHF/VHF combiner.
I will let you know the results of this addition.
Old 9-Sep-2013, 6:00 PM   #8
teleview

Here is the Federal Antenna Law that provides for you , Rights to install Broadcast Tv Antennas outside.

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html.
Old 14-Sep-2013, 10:46 PM   #9
cessna89811

GroundUrMast,
The Y10713 did the trick! Thank you. Channel 8 comes in at 100%.

However I now get 41 channels instead of 63.

Do have any advice on the placement of my winegard preamplifier?

All your advice is so greatly appreciated.
Old 14-Sep-2013, 10:49 PM   #10
cessna89811

Teleview,

Thanks for the link. My roof is wickedly STEEP. It is easy to install my OTA equipment in the attic.
Old 14-Sep-2013, 11:22 PM   #11
teleview

A simple Uhf/Vhf splitter connected in reverse will not work.

A simple splitter connected in reverse allows the UHF and VHF antennas to cross talk producing out of phase signals and bleed off signal strength the two antennas.

Use a , UVSJ , = UHF/VHF Seperator Joiner.

A UVSJ isolates the UHF and VHF antennas.

Use a UVSJ so that there is/are no antennas cross talk out of phase signals and no signal power bleed off.

At http://www.soldsignal.com.

Buy and use a , Pico Macom UVSJ or Blonder Tongue ZUVSJ.

Connect the UHF antenna to the UHF connection of the UVSJ.

Connect the VHF antenna to the VHF connection of the UVSJ.

Last edited by teleview; 17-Sep-2013 at 6:19 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 15-Sep-2013, 5:44 AM   #12
GroundUrMast

teleview's caution is an important point, be sure you are using a UHF/VHF combiner, not a regular splitter...

Ideally, the preamp should be located close to the antenna. This presumes that the signal level at the antenna is not so strong that it would overload the preamp.

You can try the preamp in two different configurations. The first and perhaps easiest to understand option locates the preamp at the output of the UHF/VHF combiner (which I presume is located close to the antennas).

If you have strong, reliable reception of all the VHF signals, you can likely skip the use of a preamplifier on the H-VHF antenna. RG-6/U will have significantly less loss at VHF frequencies than at UHF frequencies. This means that you can still have a strong VHF signal at the TV but have trouble with UHF frequencies being attenuated.

The Radio Shack 15-2586 UHF/VHF combiner passes power from the common port to the UHF port (not all other UHF/VHF combiners do that). So, option 2 would be to locate the preamp close to the UHF antenna (between the UHF port of the UHF/VHF combiner and the antenna). Power can get from the power inserter & supply, through the 15-2586 and to the preamp on the UHF side. This option may help 'balance' UHF and VHF signal levels, which may reduce inter-modulation distortion in your system. Another benefit of this option is that FM signals are going to be received a bit better by the H-VHF antenna (though it's not designed to cover that frequency range well)... amplifying only the UHF antenna signals will reduce the potential interference from FM stations.