TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 10-Sep-2011, 8:10 PM   #21
Turkaloo

yes, the antenna is about 12 feet long!
This is a very novice question, but I am pretty sure the transformer is where I have the coax connected to. My question is , what do the other little ends connect to on the transformer? They look like little 'C' s. Are those supposed to be connected to the antenna somewhere because right now they are just dangling in the air.
Turkaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Sep-2011, 8:16 PM   #22
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

More then one question asker has been here at tvfool wondering why the tv picks up this or that digital channel but not the other digital channels. When the question askers paid closer attention to what we are telling the question asker to do , then many times the question asker found that the tv was scanning for cable digital channels. Do not read over quickly and fly past the information that is being given here. The information is being given for cold hard reasons.

Last edited by John Candle; 10-Sep-2011 at 8:44 PM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Sep-2011, 8:20 PM   #23
Turkaloo

John,
I scanned using the 'Air' option in the TV menu. The only other choice is 'Cable' which I didn't use.
Old 10-Sep-2011, 8:21 PM   #24
John Candle

The end of the matching transformer with the 2 wires with the 'little c's' connects to the antenna. The 'little c's' go to the threaded studs that have the wing nuts or nuts that are part of metal loop of the antenna.

Last edited by John Candle; 10-Sep-2011 at 8:23 PM.
Old 10-Sep-2011, 8:25 PM   #25
John Candle

Electrical and electronic devices tend not to work when not connected.
Old 10-Sep-2011, 8:32 PM   #26
Turkaloo

I cant figure out where the c connectors connect. I do not see threaded studs on the antenna. Would it help if I post a picture?
Old 10-Sep-2011, 8:38 PM   #27
Turkaloo

Sorry, I found where they connect. The threads are broken off so I will have to find a way to reconnect them.
Old 10-Sep-2011, 9:33 PM   #28
Turkaloo

Connecting electronic components has made a significant difference. I have never see such clear TV, wow
Old 10-Sep-2011, 11:12 PM   #29
John Candle

Many people have memories of the old analog tv channels of fuzzy pictures and single channel sound. Digital Broadcast Tv is about Crystal Clear Pictures on the main digital channel and multipul digital sub channels. Also multichannel sound and some programing has surround sound. Broadcast Digital Tv can use the full digital stream with little compression. Cable tv and satellite tv use very high digital compression rates to cram as many channels in to what they have to offer. The higher the digital compression rates , the more digital bits of information are kicked out. The Less the digital compression the more digital bits of information stay in the picture and sound. Broadcast Digital Tv use less digital compression , A Lot Less.
Old 21-Sep-2011, 2:04 AM   #30
Turkaloo

Just ordered the U8000 as suggested. I will post the results. Thanks for everyones help and comments.

Last edited by Turkaloo; 26-Sep-2011 at 1:05 PM.
Old 24-Sep-2011, 8:38 PM   #31
Turkaloo

Which are the metal reflector bars? The skinnier rods on the U8000?
Old 24-Sep-2011, 8:58 PM   #32
John Candle

The reflector bars/rods can be un clipped and turned. The reflector bars/rods are behind the V shaped receptors.
Old 24-Sep-2011, 9:21 PM   #33
Turkaloo

I get 6 channels with the U8000 and I was getting 8 with the big Phillips. Is it possible I need an amplifier?
Old 25-Sep-2011, 6:49 PM   #34
Turkaloo

Is it possible to connect the Phillips antenna and the U8000 antenna and run them though the same cable? Would I just connect them with a flat cable and then run the coax from just one of them?
Old 25-Sep-2011, 7:22 PM   #35
GroundUrMast

It's possible... but generally the result is a reduction of performance to less than that of either antenna for most channels, with unpredictable improvement on one or a few channels.

Combining two dissimilar antennas successfully is quite rare.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Sep-2011, 9:47 PM   #36
John Candle

The reflector rods at backside of the antenna can be turned or removed , this will increase reception , http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=2203. The reflector rods have clips that can be lifted and the rod will turn.

Last edited by John Candle; 25-Sep-2011 at 9:54 PM.
Old 25-Sep-2011, 10:53 PM   #37
GroundUrMast

Several questions (answers to all would really help us understand your situation)...

Are you re-using old coax?

How many feet of coax are there between the antenna and TV?

Are there any splitters in the line? If so, how many, and how many splitter ports total, not counting the input port on any splitter?

How many TVs are connected?

Which way does the U8000 face when receiving 6 channels?

What are the 6 channels received? (Please use the all sign & real channel number.)

Did you re-scan after connecting the U8000?

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Sep-2011, 12:57 PM   #38
Turkaloo

Answers to your questions.....

Are you re-using old coax?
I am using brand new cable. I bought a 500 FT roll and cut what I needed.

How many feet of coax are there between the antenna and TV
Its about a 70 FT run to the TV from the Antenna on the roof

Are there any splitters in the line? If so, how many, and how many splitter ports total, not counting the input port on any splitter?
There are no spitters but there is a barrel connector that connects the coax cable that goes down to the TV from the outside antenna cable (this was counted in the total coax length above)
How many TVs are connected?
Just one TV now but was planning on adding at least one more.

Which way does the U8000 face when receiving 6 channels?
The 4 channels are received when pointed at 130 degrees

What are the 6 channels received? (Please use the all sign & real channel number.)
Sorry, I was only receiving 4 Channels with the U8000:
WRXY 33
WZVN 41
WXCW 45
WFTX 35

I will have to double check this for accuracy.

Did you re-scan after connecting the U8000?
I rescanned everytime I moved the Antenna.
I also tried to aim the antenna to the North between 347 and 360 degrees and received 0 channels with the U8000.

An additional note, I connected the Phillips back up and now receive 8 channels pointing at 130 degrees. The Real channel numbers range from 9 to 45

Last edited by Turkaloo; 26-Sep-2011 at 1:04 PM.
Old 26-Sep-2011, 1:24 PM   #39
Turkaloo

Antenna comparison

Well, its obvious why I dont get channel 9 with the U8000 if its 60+ Mi. UHF Band (Ch. 14-69) antenna, but I would think all of the other channels that are only 30-35 miles away would come in. Perhaps the antenna isnt high enough. Its about 25 feet up.
Just seems odd that the Phillips gets channels at that same height.
Old 26-Sep-2011, 1:58 PM   #40
phone man

Something just isn't right here. With the U8000 pointed north or even NNW, you should be getting all the stations, eleven by my count with the possible exception of the VHF stations, on your TVfool report clear down to WTAM. Broadcast towers only 50 miles away, line of sight and a signal of 15 (NM)dB or higher shouldn't be a problem at all if all the hardware is working the way it should.
J.C's suggested method of picking up the distant statons from the front side of an 8 bay antenna, and the closer stations thru the back side of the same antenna worked very well for me since the stations in question were nearly 180 degrees apart. You also have the advantage of LOS in both directions.
I read you have a 70' coax run with one barrel connector going to one TV. Correct? Can you try another TV? If the results are still poor and the Phillips works fine on the same TV and coax run, I'd suspect there's a problem with that particular U8000. There's no reason a healthy 8 bay antenna should get zero channels pointed north at your location.

Last edited by phone man; 26-Sep-2011 at 2:13 PM.
phone man is offline   Reply With Quote