Notices

Old 21-Oct-2013, 12:19 AM   #1
TheRaven

100 miles

Hello he is my fools report

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...1dda1b2e2dfc04

I asked for help here and got it.

http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=13247

My only problem i want to catch channels located 85 miles from me.

CBS,NBC,FOX,ABC.

My current cheap testing unit works great but is limited to 50 miles it seems. So is there something you recommend that will catch stations at 80 to 90 miles.

Thanks in advance.
TheRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Oct-2013, 1:57 AM   #2
RhinoRunnin

Get an antenna recommendation from :

http://dennysantennaservice.com/ante...mendation.html
RhinoRunnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Oct-2013, 3:10 AM   #3
GroundUrMast

Consider the Winegard HD7698P and an RCA TVPRAMP1R preamplifier. Use 149° (mag) as a starting aim point.

Rather than combining the existing and new systems, consider this option, http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=2882.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Oct-2013, 2:05 PM   #4
TheRaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
Consider the Winegard HD7698P and an RCA TVPRAMP1R preamplifier. Use 149° (mag) as a starting aim point.

Rather than combining the existing and new systems, consider this option, http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=2882.
The winegard unit only has a 60 mile range. Does that mean the RCA preamp will boost it beyond 80 miles
Old 21-Oct-2013, 3:52 PM   #5
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

"Ranges" are generally just estimates or generalizations from the marketing department.

Analyzing actual signal paths allows the experienced to adjust expectations and select an antenna that's most likely to do the job based on that technical analysis

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Oct-2013, 4:45 PM   #6
Stereocraig

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRaven View Post
The winegard unit only has a 60 mile range. Does that mean the RCA preamp will boost it beyond 80 miles

ADT is right.

I had a 7698p and was able to receive stations from Wisconsin, to lower Northern Michigan and Indiana, w/ ease, consistently.

Then again, I suppose there may be instances where it would have trouble at 40 miles.
It's a slope, not a direct cutoff.

The 91XG seems to be every bit as good.
Stereocraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Oct-2013, 5:11 PM   #7
ADTech

Quote:
Does that mean the RCA preamp will boost it beyond 80 miles
No, that is a false premise. There is no such simple correlation.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Old 21-Oct-2013, 5:24 PM   #8
TheRaven

Thanks for the reply. I understand the distance might be for marketing but why not try something really better then my current units with it's 50 miles. Example the CHANNEL MASTER CM-5020

160km (100 mile) digital and HD reception range
VHF reception range: channels 2 through 13 up to 160km (100 miles)
UHF reception range: channels 14 through 69 up to 96km (60 miles)

I just don't want to spend another 100$ on something that might or might not work. All those items cannot be returned or simply not worth the shipping cost to return.

Thanks again
Old 21-Oct-2013, 6:53 PM   #9
GroundUrMast

Reputable companies such as Antennacraft, Antennas Direct, Channel Master and Winegard offer performance data that include gain expressed in decibels (either dBd or dBi) which can help far more than any marketing department claim when trying to understand what sort of performance to expect from a product.

May I suggest that you completely ignore the mileage values offered by people selling antennas. The mileage figures are not based on a standard. As other have already said, these marketing clams can be based on anything from a well informed and honest generalization to a flat out lying attempt at deceiving you so that you'll by a piece of trash. Case in point, as I write this, the ad in the side bar is for a "150 Mile Antenna" well known to fall apart quickly and provide poor performance during it's short life.

Old 21-Oct-2013, 7:00 PM   #10
TheRaven

Thank you i will start looking at those companies and look for a strong db. To maximise my chances of reaching my 85 mile goal
Old 21-Oct-2013, 7:26 PM   #11
GroundUrMast

My suggestion of the HD7698P is based on the fact that WVNY is broadcast on real CH-13, a High-VHF channel. The 7698 has intentional support for UHF and H-VHF reception designed into the antenna.

An alternate solution that would slightly exceed the single combination antenna's performance would be an Antennas Direct 91XG + Antennacraft Y10713 + RCA TVPRAMP1R.

The CM-5020 is close to the same level of performance, but includes the long elements needed for Low-VHF reception. I don't see that feature being of use to you at this time.

Old 21-Oct-2013, 7:47 PM   #12
TheRaven

Again thank you for the help. I found this locally "Channel Master CM 7777 Titan2 VHF/UHF Pre amplifier with Power Supply" I will try it with my current setup to see if i have any difference in reception. The HD7698P is almost 200$ from amazon.ca. Thesource.ca carries channel master products can you recommend one from those listed

http://www.thesource.ca/estore/searc...tdoor+Antennas

Sorry i am not trying to ignore the recommendations but getting something locally will help with return if needed.

Thanks again for all your help GroundUrMast
Old 21-Oct-2013, 7:53 PM   #13
Stereocraig

Quote:
Again thank you for the help. I found this locally "Channel Master CM 7777 Titan2 VHF/UHF Pre amplifier with Power Supply" I will try it with my current setup to see if i have any difference in reception. The HD7698P is almost 200$ from amazon.ca. Thesource.ca carries channel master products can you recommend one from those listed

http://www.thesource.ca/estore/searc...tdoor+Antennas

Sorry i am not trying to ignore the recommendations but getting something locally will help with return if needed.

Thanks again for all your help GroundUrMast
I'm all for supporting the local guys too, even if it costs me a bit more.
The thing w/ antennas though, is that they can be tricky to fold back into their packaging state.
Stereocraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Oct-2013, 9:10 PM   #14
ADTech

You can try the CM4228HD, but it's performance on channel 13 is going to be a question mark until you get it installed.

If you want to try a CM pre-amp, try the CM7778, not the CM7777 which is too likely to overload something.

Old 21-Oct-2013, 11:38 PM   #15
TheRaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
You can try the CM4228HD, but it's performance on channel 13 is going to be a question mark until you get it installed.

If you want to try a CM pre-amp, try the CM7778, not the CM7777 which is too likely to overload something.
Thank you Placed another order for the cm7778.

This is kinda it for now until i get the amp to see what it gives me. Then i can figure out where i stand on the channels.

FYI With my current 8bay digiwave antenna withought a booster/amp i get

2.1 3.1 3.2 5.1 5.2 6.1 10.1 12.1 15.1 15.2 17.1 33.1 33.2 33.3 33.4 35.1 44.1 44.2 57.1 57.2 57.3 pointing at 140 lots of doubles

Thanks all
Old 23-Oct-2013, 4:35 PM   #16
TheRaven

It looks like the 7778 is out of stock and might be a while. I am now left with the RCA TVPRAMP1R or the LNA-100 or LNA-200 i have looked online but i am having trouble figuring out what will be best for me. Will start with dual antenna setup i will only need to boost the us channels that are 90 miles away the canadian ones are only 30 miles away.
Old 23-Oct-2013, 6:41 PM   #17
ADTech

Then stick with the RCA. It's basically a clone of the original 7778 anyway

The LNA100 isn't an pre-amp and the LNA200 isn't worth it for whatever benefit it might theoretically provide.

Last edited by ADTech; 23-Oct-2013 at 6:44 PM.
Old 23-Oct-2013, 8:58 PM   #18
TheRaven

Thank you ADTech
Old 9-Nov-2013, 6:08 PM   #19
TheRaven

So i ended up getting the 5020 mounted on the roof at 149 degrees compass combined with the rca amp. I can catch all the channels from my fools report exept for one that i kinda really wanted abc channel 22.1. I tried repositioning the antenna a few times with no luck. All in all i am happy but abc is a nice channel to have. Will post a pick soon.
Old 9-Nov-2013, 10:28 PM   #20
Tower Guy

Quote:
All in all i am happy but abc is a nice channel to have.
WVNY should be strong enough with that antenna. FM interference could be the culprit. Is the FM trap in the preamp turned on? If not, switch it in.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote