TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 23-Apr-2015, 7:24 PM   #1
eakl8

Indoor/Outdoor Antenna suggestions

Hi everyone,

I've cut the cord some months ago. Lived quite happily so far, until recently decided to give TV another chance. Mainly because of a pregnant girlfriend needing some brainless tv
I read a few guides online and decided to try an indoor antenna, with poor results so far tough. No matter how I place it, I am able to get 2-3 channels each time, up to 8/9 total so far.

Here's what I have as antenna (planning to return it, asap!): http://www.davecohifi.com/Assets/DNP...V5A_ForWeb.pdf

Here's my report: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...f1f036760ec513

The TV is quite close to a large window, so I suppose I could place something right on it.
I have been focusing on indoor so far, but realized that there's already a series of holes going through the rooms, with which I could easily consider an Outdoor antenna over the balcony. Second floor, as pretty much every other building in the close surroundings.
I do not expect or need to get all the available channels, but having a reasonable selection would be more than enough.

Accepting any sort of suggestion. Thanks!!
Dan.
eakl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Apr-2015, 3:59 AM   #2
StephanieS

Greetings Dan,

Indoor antennas are often a hassle contrary to the "perfect reception" infomericals that peddle just how perfect they can be. In short, you are asking a TV signal to penetrate the walls of your home, through electrical noise and perhaps materials that reflect the signal. This creates a very hostile environment for signals. It is by no means ideal. Even barn burning signals can and do have problems in this situation.

How is your line of sight on your balcony? Balconies are an improvement. The trick here is the south fairly open an unobstructed? Montreal broadcasts have powerful signals at your location. The US networks are also possible as well.

The flat panel antenna you provided isn't ideal at all. Its support of high-VHF (real channels 7-13) is skimpy and Montreal has two high VHFs to consider. This means a dual band antenna that supports high-VHF and UHF.

Do you want to try for US broadcasts as well from your patio? If not, a Antennacraft HBU11k would be fine for Montreal orientated to magnetic 210. If wanting the American networks, I might install an Antennacraft HBU22 pointed to magnetic 166 as a test.

With the HBU22 pointed towards the US, you would still likely pick up Montreal with ease due to the strong signals.

Cheers.

Last edited by StephanieS; 24-Apr-2015 at 4:06 AM.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Apr-2015, 3:06 PM   #3
eakl8

Hi Stephanie,
thanks a lot for your suggestions!

Few more details: in the attached image you can see both the window that gives in the room with the TV, and the balcony I was talking about.
The line of sight straight out the window and balcony I would say is quite unobstructed, near houses are low and there are just a few branches of trees close. From what I can understand, I suppose I could have straight access to that bunch of channels I see on the report around mag.118° (7,11, 24..) since there's a park in that direction too.
As you can see the balcony is not that big, aren't those antennas you suggested too big for it? I would rather try to stick with some smaller solution, because of the size and also because I am on rent at the apartment.

I don't mind much about the US channels, would be great if I could have them, but not a priority if I can have a more compact solution instead.
Is there anything that could do a decent job in this situation??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Schermata 2015-04-25 alle 10.22.24.jpg (412.7 KB, 645 views)
Old 25-Apr-2015, 3:39 PM   #4
StephanieS

Ok.

I'd suggest if small is the goal, mounting the Antennacraft HBU11k on the balcony. It is a compact VHF/UHF antenna. Not much larger than a 24" widescreen monitor. It comes with a J Pole antenna to mount.

It looks like this (similar model RCA ANT751):

I would encourage you at a minimum to use this antenna. It has proper VHF support. Any flat panel antenna you purchase to put in your window doesn't have that.

You could probably point it to magnetic 166 to point at the US stations and all the local Montreal stations should be just fine off the sides.

Cheers.
Old 26-Apr-2015, 3:28 PM   #5
eakl8

Ehi Stephanie,
thanks again for the reply! I checked your last proposal, but still, is somehow too big. Excuse me if I sound too much complaining with your help, but I was hoping to be able to install something way more compact. Like one of these 2:
http://www.amazon.ca/Antennas-Direct.../dp/B007RH5GZI
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...0&linkCode=as2

Would something like those do the job?? Even slightly?
I really can't install a "proper" antenna.
Cheers
Old 26-Apr-2015, 5:06 PM   #6
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

The C2V should work well in your location provided you can get it, like any antenna, into a decent location. You can pick it up at Canadian Best Buy stores for a lot less than from Amazon.ca. http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...0040b973a5en02

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Apr-2015, 9:46 AM   #7
StephanieS

Sure, the C2V will work fine.

I was giving you the smaller less expensive option. Both of the antennas you linked are over 100 bucks as where the HBU11 is US $40 and change.

Cheers.