TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 7-Jun-2012, 3:26 PM   #1
Styx555

Ottawa, Ontario reception

Hello, I'm finally ready to cut the cable. Recently purchased a cheap indoor antenna to see the channel selection I get. Was able to pick up about 12 channels in total. Here's my signal analysis:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...1349ff5fa0f8a2

My questions as follows:
1. Ideally, would like to use an indoor antenna. What's the maximum number of channels I would get? The antenna would be facing East and be right at the window.
2. What more would I get using an external antenna?
3. How easy is it to install the external antenna myself?
4. I currently have an old Bell Dish installed on the side of the house. Can this be used for anything?

Thanks
Styx555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Jun-2012, 8:27 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

TV Fool depends on the Canadian and US governments for it's primary source of current station data. Updates to the publicly accessible Industry Canada database has been much slower than the the FCC database. As a result, there is still considerable ambiguity regarding which Canadian stations are operating and in what format.

Based on the "Pending" version of your report and information gleaned from www.rabbitears.info, it would appear that an outdoor mounted antenna such as the Winegard HD7000R would be able to receive about 15 stations. Most of those appear to be digital and could therefor be carrying more than one program though at this time, few Canadian stations are taking advantage of this capability.

I find antenna installation fairly easy and playing the piano nearly impossible. Some of my friends would report the exact opposite.

A satellite dish will be of no use in receiving OTA signals. The cable can be reused if it has not had water intrusion into the core. The 'J' pole used in many dish installations can be reused in some cases... it depends on the amount of clearance between the pole and building together with the size of the OTA antenna.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 8-Jun-2012 at 8:34 AM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote