TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 8-Aug-2013, 2:44 AM   #1
JustDan1979

Is there hope for me?

I would like to switch to antenna only, however I need CBS to watch the NFL season coming up. The nearest CBS station is 50 miles away. Any recommendation, or should I give up the idea of getting this station over the air.
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46aeab1d44105c
JustDan1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Aug-2013, 6:05 PM   #2
teleview

Is this a , house , town home , condo , apartment , mobile home , motor home , or etc.??

The provided tvfool radar report and channel list is the default 10 feet antenna height above ground.

Do not delete the default tvfool report.
__

Please make and post a tvfool radar report and channel list using the correct address with the antenna height 25 feet above ground.

25 feet antenna height above ground is a refference antenna height that provides a good evaluation of what is receivable.
Old 8-Aug-2013, 10:03 PM   #3
GroundUrMast

If I was next door to you, you'd no doubt see at least one of the following on my roof:

Antennas Direct 91XG or DB8e
Winegard HD9095P

I would also equip this antenna with an Antennas Direct CPA-19 (If I could still locate one) or another high input capable preamp.

In other words, yes, I think there's hope.

You would need to keep the existing antenna as is, in order to continue receiving the stronger local signals that come from perpendicular directions.The next issue you would need to deal with is how to connect the two antennas to your TV. There's more than one option available: http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=2882

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 8-Aug-2013 at 11:22 PM. Reason: preamp, typo
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Aug-2013, 10:49 PM   #4
JustDan1979

Thanks for your input. I live in a two story house that I own.
Here's a 25ft report:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46aea94b96cff7
Old 8-Aug-2013, 11:24 PM   #5
GroundUrMast

If you take advantage of roof top mounting, you could add quite a few signals to your lineup if you add a full size UHF antenna aimed at 160° compass.

Old 9-Aug-2013, 12:19 AM   #6
JustDan1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
If you take advantage of roof top mounting, you could add quite a few signals to your lineup if you add a full size UHF antenna aimed at 160° compass.
You are being optimistic, so I'll press my luck. How about attic options? I can get up to the south wall 20 feet up. Would it be worth the effort to try for an attic mount antenna? If so, would you recommend the same antennas? Or am I unlikely to get something usable?
Old 9-Aug-2013, 12:49 AM   #7
GroundUrMast

My optimism is based on the noticeable improvement in signal levels in the last TVFR (25' AGL) you posted.

The full size UHF antennas give you a good shot at seeing signals with NM values as low as 0.0 dB (And it's not at all unusual to see signals with lower predicted NM values.) This presumes you are mounting outside, clear of trees and other obstructions.

If you insert a wall, roof or tree in the path... expect less. You'll have to install the antenna to find out just how much signal impact your roof, tree or other obstruction has. The 91XG and 9095 are long antennas, they may or may not fit in an attic. The 8-bay panel antennas are more likely to fit in an attic, and they will all be roughly the same size... But the DB8e is the most current 8-bay design and takes advantage of the change in frequency spectrum... The UHF band was reduced to CH-14 through CH-51 (Boo!) which gives the designer the ability to squeeze a bit more gain from the design than when they where trying to make it cover CH-14 through CH-69 (yeah!).

Old 9-Aug-2013, 2:29 AM   #8
JustDan1979

Alright, I'm going for it. I'll be purchasing the DB8E and attempting an attic installation. If that doesn't work out, I'll hire someone to mount that on my roof. Thank you for helping me out. Wish me luck.
Old 9-Aug-2013, 6:53 AM   #9
GroundUrMast

Rather than wishing, I'm expecting your success!

Old 15-Aug-2013, 12:46 AM   #10
JustDan1979

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
Rather than wishing, I'm expecting your success!

Thank you so much. I put the antenna in my attic, expecting to have to move it outside, but I get the station I needed and about 20 others. This is going to save us a fortune.
Old 15-Aug-2013, 12:56 AM   #11
GroundUrMast

Thanks for the report... Enjoy!