TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 12-Aug-2013, 9:07 PM   #1
Av8rix

Cutting cord in Puget Sound area

Hi, I’m a n00b here. I will be cancelling satellite in the middle of September and would like to prepare for that now. I’ll be purchasing a rooftop antenna, as one station that I need to receive is in the “yellow” range and I have a relatively low-pitch roof with no good attic site in which to place an antenna. To control recording, streaming, etc, I’ll be building a dedicated home theater PC.

My TV is a Panasonic TH-42PX75U.

Here’s my signal report: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46aea09421524e

I have three questions:
1. The only VHF station I really need is the PBS, which is relatively high frequency (channel 9). Will I need a UHF/VHF antenna or am I likely to have satisfactory reception with a UHF-only antenna?
2. I live alone and have only one TV set, no need for a splitter. Also, house is only one-story and antenna will be positioned on roof within a <25’ cable run of the TV. Will I require a preamp?
3. Is a multidirectional antenna generally preferable or is it more desirable to have a directional antenna mounted on a remote-controlled rotor?

Thanks in advance for any help you might offer with antenna selection based upon the above information.

Don't put Descartes before des horse
Av8rix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Aug-2013, 11:23 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

You have a very good shot at virtually all the available channels in the greater Seattle area. Given the terrain, you're in an enviable position.

I'd suggest an RCA ANT-751R pointed south. Given the signal levels and only one tuner to connect, don't add the cost and problems of an amplifier.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Aug-2013, 11:47 PM   #3
Av8rix

[QUOTE=GroundUrMast;37631]You have a very good shot at virtually all the available channels in the greater Seattle area. Given the terrain, you're in an enviable position.

You got that right (about terrain)!! I'm adjacent to Paine Field -- my house elevation is about 600' MSL.

Hey, GroundUrMast, since you're local -- I see that the installer forum is pretty dead. Have you any recommendations for a competent installer in our area? You may reply by PM if there's some forum restriction on recommending specific vendors/businesses.

Anyway, thanks so much for your prompt reply!! I'll purchase the recommended antenna right away, since I'd like to have everything in place and tested prior to the cutoff date.

Old 13-Aug-2013, 2:41 AM   #4
GroundUrMast

I'm glad you mentioned Paine Field... Signals reflecting off planes can cause disruptions to reliable reception. Thankfully, you're not under the approach to SeaTac but you'll want to consider using an antenna or combination of antennas that's more directional than what would be needed otherwise.

I'm thinking an Antennas Direct DB4e (UHF only) and an Antennacraft Y10713 (for High VHF). Combine the two using an Antennas Direct EU385CF UHF/VHF Antenna Combiner.

There will be plenty of signal power to drive a splitter and the HTPC tuner(s) together with the TV tuner. No amplifier needed!

http://www.amazon.com/Antennas-Direc...s=db4e+antenna
http://www.amazon.com/AntennaCraft-1...eywords=Y10713
http://www.amazon.com/Antennas-Direc.../dp/B008PBTPN4

Both antennas can mount on the same mast if they can be at least 3' apart (more is better).

I'm afraid I don't have an installer to recommend... perhaps check Angie's List?

Old 13-Aug-2013, 11:02 PM   #5
Av8rix

Thanks again, GroundUrMast!

The nature of the traffic here at Paine Field shouldn't be a factor where I live. I'm a pilot and have been flying off this field since the '80s. The Boeings never come anywhere near me, as I live about midfield latitude two miles east of their runway. Their approaches and departures are NEVER over my house (or anywhere hear it). I'm actually right under the downwind leg of the east parallel runway, the one that can only be used by little airplanes...AND is closed to all traffic at night.

Having said that, I still will probably go with your second suggestion. It's more of an investment but it will probably insure great reception of all available channels. And, unlike cable or satellite, the cost of parts and installation is a one-time event. I can handle that.

Speaking of installation, the parts that you suggest in your second message are listed online at Sears. That means that if I purchase from them I can use their installers. And if Sears home service messes up on something, they will usually make good on it. I've purchased numerous appliances from them in the past, with good results.

Again, thanks!!!

Old 14-Aug-2013, 12:08 AM   #6
GroundUrMast

Thanks, I'll keep the Sears option in mind...

The last time I got to fly was out of KPAE. My friend was the staff pilot of a privately owned PC-12. What a treat to fly it... It's been a while since I exercised my SEL/SES ratings as PIC.

Cheers

Old 14-Aug-2013, 11:18 PM   #7
Av8rix

Whoot! Whoot! <-- thread-creep annunciator activated

If anyone reading this doesn't like airplanes, don't follow this thread further.

The only Pilatus that I remember being on KPAE was parked in the large hangar of a friend's flight school. Wonder if it was the same one you flew?

I got my ASEL in Texas about a century ago, but got my ASES right here at Kenmore in the mid/late '80s, during my first contract assignment at the kite factory (Lazy B). I don't have an airplane any more, as I'm retired and on a fixed income now, so can't justify owning one. Still active in the Washington Pilots Association, so never lack for friends to fly with. Howcum you don't fly any more?

Again I want to express gratitude for your suggestions. Looking forward to getting rid of DirecTV. This looks like a great forum and I know that if I have any problems with the transition I can count on y'all.

Thanks again,

Old 15-Aug-2013, 12:32 AM   #8
GroundUrMast

The PC-12 is an NG model, not with a flight school. I helped wire up a new ground power unit. So after loading an avionics update, we had to test fly it... Right?

I soloed on floats. Back when the SW corner of Lk. Union was home to Kurtzer Air. Kurtzer and another student had an incident... so I wound up down at KBFI to finish getting my SEL rating at Galvin. My first biennial after that was at Kenmore, adding the SES rating.

Quote:
Howcum you don't fly any more?
$$$$$

I new someone who went by a very similar nickname... they owned an Aeronca Champ... back when Evergreen was still a place for fly-ins.