TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 10-Aug-2013, 6:16 PM   #1
uabmedic

What kind of antenna is this?

Hi everyone,

I found the antenna below at a house of our farm property, left behind by tenants a few years ago. I don't know anything about antenna, but I did drop satellite TV a few month ago and wouldn't mind picking up local channels.

My question is: Can I mount this antenna in the attic and, based on the report linked below, pick up channels WBIQ and above?

Any and all help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46aebbddec1acd

V/r,
Josh
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (278.7 KB, 637 views)
uabmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Aug-2013, 6:05 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

It's hard to tell if the antenna has any UHF capability, the photo does not show the entire antenna. What I see is a worn & broken VHF log periodic dipole array (LPDA) which may or may not have a UHF section on the front end of it. If present, the UHF section would be a group of short elements and there may or may not be a corner reflector assembly at the rear of the UHF section.

You need an antenna that supports both UHF and VHF reception.

The signal levels shown on your report for WBIQ and the six just above it on the list will need a high gain antenna... and it needs to be outside, clear of obstructions. Reliable reception from inside an attic is not likely.

I would opt for a Winegard HD7084.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Aug-2013, 1:07 PM   #3
uabmedic

Thanks so much for the help; it sounds like you've saved me a lot of time and trouble.

Just curious, what are your thoughts on the LavaHD2605?I It seems to get great reviews and has a long range...

http://www.tvantennasale.com/Product...AVAHD2605ULTRA

Thanks again for your help!

-Josh
Old 11-Aug-2013, 6:29 PM   #4
GroundUrMast

I'm not sold on the LAVA

The common complaint I hear about the LAVA is that is breaks easily. Also, the claims of 'Antenna Gain' between 28 and 36 dB are too fantastic for me to believe that they are anything other than false or misleading ad copy.

Finally, the laws of physics make reliable OTA TV reception impossible at 150 miles. Again, the sellers ad copy make me believe they are making false or misleading claims.

I can't recommend the LAVA product.

Old 11-Aug-2013, 9:07 PM   #5
uabmedic

Thanks so much for the reply. Ultimately, mainly because of covenants that restrict how high an antenna can go, I may be SOL as far as getting any local channels. Even so, I have no regrets about firing Directv. Lol! Thanks again for the advice.

-Josh
Old 12-Aug-2013, 4:23 AM   #6
GroundUrMast

If you have not already heard of it... OTARD http://www.fcc.gov/guides/over-air-r...n-devices-rule

Covenants and restrictions that limit your ability to install and use a TV antenna are very often entirely over ruled by the FCC rules. The FCC does not stop a local permitting authority such as a county or city from imposing safety codes on installation of antennas that exceed 12' above the highest point of your roof... But you should have a really good shot at good reception without needing to mount that high.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 12-Aug-2013 at 4:26 AM.