TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 4-May-2013, 10:07 PM   #1
bobo007

Question What kind of antenna is this?

Hey everyone!

So I have a small TERK antenna currently that is amplified and picks up ~20 channels with most of them HD. It works quite well but the signal to the further tower drops once in a while so I've been looking to get something stronger.

I spoke with my neighbour today and he said he'll be taking this antenna down and throwing it out! It's been at this house for years and he's not using it.

Firstly, would something like this pick up HDTV? Secondly, does anyone know what kind it is? Range? Any ideas? I know it's got a little motor in the grey box underneath it. It used to run into a box that controlled it (he doesn't know what kind) but he no longer has it. It's about 10 feel long from what I can tell. It looks like one of those huge Winegard ones.

So! He wants to give it to me if I want it. Should I bother trying it out? Or is it a waste of time and it'll only pickup SD?

Thank you for your help!!
Bartek
Attached Images
File Type: jpg antenna.jpg (372.0 KB, 597 views)

Last edited by bobo007; 4-May-2013 at 10:12 PM.
bobo007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-May-2013, 9:37 AM   #2
Stereocraig

That may be an Antennacraft, or a Winegard, not sure.
There may be a name embossed on those angle brackets that hold the reflectors.
It's a little larger that you'd need, because it's an all channel and has some unused elements, unless you'd like to pick up FM.

They bend easy, so be careful lowering it. 2 people and 2 ropes, would be best.

BTW, ALL antennas, are HD and ALL antennas have always been COLOR. Even before color TV was invented.
Stereocraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-May-2013, 1:47 PM   #3
bobo007

Hey thanks for the info! I assume the reflectors are those angled pieces near the front? I'll take a look for a name.

I had a feeling all antennas are HD but I wasn't sure. I know some antennas can't catch channels 1-10 so I thought some can't catch HD?

So even if it is overkill for me, do you think this antenna will catch anything around me nicely? Not sure if it needs an amp or anything either. Here is my report:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...cc49c1f799467f

With my current antenna I easily catch a strong signal from the 13.2mile tower and I get a decent signal from the 80.5mile tower, but that one can drop out for a day or so. I just need a good antenna to be able to catch that 80.5mile tower strongly (AND of course the other 13.2mile one too).

I currently have mine pointed in the middle of the two. With this big antenna from my neighbour I'm concerned that it being a directional antenna it may not catch from both towers?

Thank you for taking a look and I can't wait to see what it does!
Old 5-May-2013, 3:46 PM   #4
Stereocraig

I would start out by aiming at the 80.5 mile ones. That's somewhat unrealistic in most cases, but they ARE LOS, so who knows.

If you do pull some in from there, you should pull some in from the 13.2 mile cluster, simply because they are so close. Even if you're not aiming at them and choose not to utilize the rotor.

Unless you're running a long distance and/ or feeding more than one set, you may not need an amp.
I would recommend installing new coax and balun and cleaning up the antenna terminals.
Old 5-May-2013, 5:14 PM   #5
bobo007

Sounds good! Do you think this antenna will be better though? I don't want to go through the hassle if it won't make a difference.
Old 5-May-2013, 9:01 PM   #6
Stereocraig

Anything that's mounted outdoors, up in the air, will almost certainly outperform anything in the house.
Assuming the replacement antenna is functioning properly.
Old 5-May-2013, 9:03 PM   #7
bobo007

I should have mention that my terk antenna is an older generation that's outdoor! It's mounted on my roof.

So before I mount this new one I'd love to know if it will be worth the trouble.