TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 5-Apr-2013, 6:13 PM   #1
alavochin

Reception Help - Thanks!

After I had the chance to get rid of DirecTV, I'd like to setup an antenna to get all the local channels and use Netflix for the movies.

Here is what I got: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...1dda8a36d5f27a

Looks like most my channels are true north. What kind of antenna and setup do you recommend for me?

Also, how do you tell if the channels will be HD or not?
alavochin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Apr-2013, 6:37 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

I'm also in the Greater Seattle area. Yes, the major networks are all broadcast in HD (720p or 1080i depending on the particular network). There area also may 'minor' networks being broadcast, usually in SD, 480i. Check out http://www.rabbitears.info/market.php for details.

It would be very helpful to see a TV Fool report based on an antenna height of 25' AGL.

Your first post is showing conditions at the default height of 10'. If this is the best available, I would opt for an outdoor mounted Winegard HD7696P or HD7698P pointed north.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Apr-2013, 6:48 PM   #3
alavochin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
I'm also in the Greater Seattle area. Yes, the major networks are all broadcast in HD (720p or 1080i depending on the particular network). There area also may 'minor' networks being broadcast, usually in SD, 480i. Check out http://www.rabbitears.info/market.php for details.

It would be very helpful to see a TV Fool report based on an antenna height of 25' AGL.

Your first post is showing conditions at the default height of 10'. If this is the best available, I would opt for an outdoor mounted Winegard HD7696P or HD7698P pointed north.
Here is a report from 25' http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...1dda03bafa7b60

I was looking for point something outside but a little less discreet. We will in a community and even though they aren't able to say anything about the antenna according to FCC, I still would rather not piss them off. What do you think of the ANT751R for my situation?
Old 5-Apr-2013, 7:30 PM   #4
GroundUrMast

I would expect you'd have more reception reliability problems when using a small antenna such as the ANT-751.

You situation certainly improves at 25' AGL. I'm still in favor of a large antenna such as the HD7696P.

I would encourage you to politely assert your right to receive OTA TV... however, if you choose to use a smaller antenna, the UHF performance of Antennas Direct DB4e is on par with the Winegard product so far as gain is concerned. The DB4e lacks intentional support for real channel 13 and lower, so you would likely have trouble with KCTS & KSTW. KCPQ is operating on two frequencies so you'd be able to receive real CH-22.

Old 6-Apr-2013, 4:49 PM   #5
teleview

As a test of reception install a ANT751 antenna above the roof in such a manner that reception is not blocked by the roof or house in the directions of , west , north west , north , north east.

Aim the ANT751 at about 0 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

For the test of reception connect 1 Tv.

-->The ANT751 is a Small Antenna.

--> It is important to instal the ANT751 In The Clear as much as possible.

--> The ANT751 comes with a , J pole type antenna mount.

Your reception location has 1 and 2 edge path obstructions = hills and mountains , and also trees, absorbing , multi-path/reflecting , blocking , Digital Broadcast Tv reception.

It is -->Important<-- to install the ANT751 at a location that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions of any type or kind in the directions of reception including your own roof and house.

Do Not Hide the ANT751 , if you hide the ANT751 , then 100% you/are and will have more reception problems.

Last edited by teleview; 7-Apr-2013 at 3:12 AM.
Old 6-Apr-2013, 5:20 PM   #6
alavochin

I know you guys don't recommend placing outdoor antennas in the attic, but what if I got the Winegard HD7694P and placed it in the attic? Any idea how good the reception would be?
Old 6-Apr-2013, 9:26 PM   #7
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Originally Posted by alavochin View Post
I know you guys don't recommend placing outdoor antennas in the attic, but what if I got the Winegard HD7694P and placed it in the attic? Any idea how good the reception would be?
Every attic is unique, you might get lucky. In your case you are starting with moderate to weak signal levels and edge path conditions. If your area is like most of the Western WA area, you have tall trees nearby, usually Douglas Fir, Cedar, Alder and such which simply adds to the difficulty. If you want to try attic mounting, I would strongly encourage you to use the highest gain antenna(s) that will fit in the space while still being able to turn them for aiming purposes.

A down side to the otherwise excellent Winegard HD769X series is that they are very difficult to re-fold if you need to remove them from the attic. Consider the HBU-55 from Antennacraft if you want to have a chance at re-folding the antenna without breaking it.

The up side to a successful attic install is that the antenna will have a virtually unlimited life-span.

Old 6-Apr-2013, 11:35 PM   #8
GroundUrMast

It would be interesting to see a second TV Fool report based on your roof peak height. Much of the Federal Way area sits on a somewhat level (a relative term in the Seattle area) plateau. Your first report is based on the default height of 10' and may be making the situation seem worse than it really is.

What if it's possible to use a small antenna mounted on a 'J-pole'... very often these installs are so low profile that only you know they're present.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 7-Apr-2013 at 1:52 AM. Reason: Sp.
Old 8-Apr-2013, 9:39 PM   #9
alavochin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
Every attic is unique, you might get lucky. In your case you are starting with moderate to weak signal levels and edge path conditions. If your area is like most of the Western WA area, you have tall trees nearby, usually Douglas Fir, Cedar, Alder and such which simply adds to the difficulty. If you want to try attic mounting, I would strongly encourage you to use the highest gain antenna(s) that will fit in the space while still being able to turn them for aiming purposes.

A down side to the otherwise excellent Winegard HD769X series is that they are very difficult to re-fold if you need to remove them from the attic. Consider the HBU-55 from Antennacraft if you want to have a chance at re-folding the antenna without breaking it.

The up side to a successful attic install is that the antenna will have a virtually unlimited life-span.
I'm going to give it a try when I PCS back to my house in a month. It's a new housing development so we don't have any tall tress in the neighborhood, but there are green belts surrounding the neighborhood (about 1/3mile away if facing towards the north where all the TV signals are)
Old 9-Apr-2013, 3:19 AM   #10
GroundUrMast

Thank you for serving our country.

All my best to you, your family and those who serve with you.