TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 8-Jul-2011, 5:39 PM   #1
weebl

Looking to attic mount in Tampa Bay - help with antenna selection

Here is my report http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...03d9705d3958b3

I am shopping for antennas and looking at the HBU series by Antennacraft and also Denny's HD Stacker, but not ruling others out.

It will be mounted in the attic (so I can't do something like the Channel Master 3671 because of the combination of length and width) pointed toward the channels that are in the 142-144 degree area. It will be split among 2 televisions at first and then possibly up to 5.

Could anyone please make a recommendation as far as an antenna and amplifiers if needed.

I'd like to stay under $100 for the antenna itself if possible.

Thanks - weebl.
weebl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Jul-2011, 2:04 PM   #2
weebl

Help with antenna selection in Tampa area for attic mount.

I am looking to purchase an antenna (and amplifier if necessary) in the Tampa area. My data is here http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...03d9e5428c2d1f - Channel 10 is to be moved to 144 degrees with the others.

The antenna will be attic mounted and supplying 2 televisions to start and possibly up to 5. I was looking at the following:

Denny's HD Stacker
Antennacraft HBU Series (thinking HBU33, HBU44, or HBU55)

Due to mounting in the attic I am somewhat confined to space and can't go too long and wide (anything like the 173" x 110" Channel Master 5371 is not possible).

I'd like to stay around $100 for the antenna, any suggestions are appreciated.
Old 10-Jul-2011, 7:11 AM   #3
GroundUrMast

The Stacker lists for $129... That seems to be reason enough to remove it from your list of contenders. I can't recommend it, nor can I recommend against it. I have yet to find any credible information that tells me how much gain it offers. I've read that it is manufactured by Winegard to Denny's specs. And it looks like a modified HD769X series Winegard which is a well built and well documented piece of equipment. I'd love to see test range or computer simulation results from a credible source. Until then...

The Antennacraft products are documented credibly. http://www.antennacraft.net/pdfs/HBU33_.pdf for example. The 7 and a half dB of gain of the HBU-33 in an attic that attenuates signals 20 dB would deliver reception of all the 'green' and some 'yellow' stations shown on your TVFR. No amplifier needed for one or two sets, but a distribution amp such as the PCT-MA2-8P would offer the gain needed to split to many sets.

Attics may attenuate more or less than 20 dB, YMMV. The HBU series antennas are a bit easier to fold back down (than a similar Winegard) if they fail in the attic. This makes it easier to move the antenna outside if it is necessary.

I don't know why you are limited to attic mounting so FWIW, The FCC takes your side, protecting your right to install an antenna on your property or the area you rent. http://transition.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

If we were neighbors, you would likely see a Winegard HD7694P on my roof. ($57.71 at Amazon + free shipping)

(CH-10 is so powerful that it would likely come in the back corner anyway)

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 10-Jul-2011 at 7:39 AM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Jul-2011, 11:58 PM   #4
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

The slacker has been covered and evaluated many times. I do not recommend it and never will. Next subject , because , metal siding , metal roofs , bricks , stucko Wire , concrete and solar panels can reduce and block tv transmissions , does the house have any of these??
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Jul-2011, 1:24 AM   #5
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
The Antennacraft products are documented credibly. The 7 and a half dB of gain of the HBU-33 in an attic that attenuates signals 20 dB would deliver reception of all the 'green' and some 'yellow' stations shown on your TVFR.
Also consider the slightly smaller HBU-22.

WTSP may be an issue, but you won't know until you try it.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Jul-2011, 1:30 AM   #6
weebl

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Candle View Post
The slacker has been covered and evaluated many times. I do not recommend it and never will. Next subject , because , metal siding , metal roofs , bricks , stucko Wire , concrete and solar panels can reduce and block tv transmissions , does the house have any of these??

The house does not have a metal roof, or solar panels. It does however have concrete block/stucco construction. The antenna would be mounted above this block/stucco since the roof is a hip style so there would be none of these at the antennas mounted height in the attic.

I did have a Antennas Direct V21 in the attic that did fairly well, but due to the long rear elements my choice of mounting it was limited. Realizing that these are needed for Low Band VHF I returned it and I am looking at a High VHF/UHF style.
Old 11-Jul-2011, 1:35 AM   #7
weebl

Quote:
Attics may attenuate more or less than 20 dB, YMMV. The HBU series antennas are a bit easier to fold back down (than a similar Winegard) if they fail in the attic. This makes it easier to move the antenna outside if it is necessary.

I don't know why you are limited to attic mounting so FWIW, The FCC takes your side, protecting your right to install an antenna on your property or the area you rent. http://transition.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

If we were neighbors, you would likely see a Winegard HD7694P on my roof. ($57.71 at Amazon + free shipping)

(CH-10 is so powerful that it would likely come in the back corner anyway)
Since I am mounting in the attic should I go with a more powerful unit such as the HBU44 or HBU55 to compensate for the attenuation?

My wife and I have decided to put the antenna in the attic for cosmetics alone.

Thanks for the recommendation of the Winegard, I did miss that series in my search.
Old 11-Jul-2011, 5:31 AM   #8
John Candle

I recommend a Winegard HD7694P antenna mounted above the roof and aimed at 180 degree magnetic compass. Yes you can mount a Tv antenna above the roof , http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html . This will receive WTSP channel 10 and the stations to the , south west , south and south east. For one to four Tv's I recommend a Channel Master CM3414 distribution amplifier , for more then four Tv's I recommend a Channel Master CM3418 distribution amp.

Last edited by John Candle; 11-Jul-2011 at 11:15 PM.
Old 11-Jul-2011, 5:35 AM   #9
John Candle

Read and understand about , REAL Digital Broadcast Tv Channels , Virtual Digital Broadcast Tv Channels , Analog Broadcast Tv Channels , http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=695
Old 11-Jul-2011, 1:28 PM   #10
weebl

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Candle View Post
Read and understand about , REAL Digital Broadcast Tv Channels , Virtual Digital Broadcast Tv Channels , Analog Broadcast Tv Channels , http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=695
Thanks, great writeup.

Is there a writeup that explains gain, front-to-back ratio, half-power beam-width, db compared to dbi, and what the minimum db I could expect to get a watchable picture from?