TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 15-Dec-2019, 9:16 PM   #1
BrianHawthorne

Co-channel interference

Hi, new to OTA, please excuse me if this is a dumb question. I’ve got a Channel Master 2018 temporarily sitting in a 2nd story bedroom. Pointed 39 degrees magnetic. From there I have a 10 foot section of RG6 going into a Tablo Dual Lite. The tablo is on my WiFi. Doing this as a test, I’ll later install the antenna in my attic, running the coax into a second story bedroom into the Tablo. Don’t want to do a roof mount of the antenna.

Here’s my radar map plot:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...903834f43ccf55

I get ABC, NBC now and some other channels. I’d like to get WFSB, but can’t. Report shows co-channel interference. I’m not sure, but maybe the interference is with WTIC, I don’t need WTIC. Is there a way to cure the co-channel interference issue? Thank you!
BrianHawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Dec-2019, 10:49 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

You're correct, there is some potential for co-channel interference... However it looks as if there is enough difference in signal levels (20 dB or more ) that it's reasonable to hope for reception of WFSB.

To be successful, you may need to mount an antenna outdoors, above tree top level. I would also expect to need a full sized UHF antenna or combination UHF/High-VHF. The terrain between you and Hartford forces you to use a substantially larger antenna than you would need if there was a clear line of sight.

the Winegard HD7698P would be a full size combo to consider. One could also combine the 2018 with an Antennas Direct DB8e... Using a UHF/VHF combiner, the DB8E would connect to the UHF port and the 2018 to the VHF port.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 15-Dec-2019 at 10:53 PM. Reason: added comment re. line of sight
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Dec-2019, 11:28 PM   #3
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianHawthorne View Post
Hi, new to OTA, please excuse me if this is a dumb question. I’ve got a Channel Master 2018 temporarily sitting in a 2nd story bedroom. Pointed 39 degrees magnetic.
Here’s my radar map plot:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...903834f43ccf55

I get ABC, NBC now and some other channels. I’d like to get WFSB, but can’t. Report shows co-channel interference. I’m not sure, but maybe the interference is with WTIC, I don’t need WTIC. Is there a way to cure the co-channel interference issue? Thank you!
Hello, Brian. Thank you for the report. You do have co-channel interference, but it is now different because of Repack channel changes.

WFSB has co-channel interference on real channel 36 from WCBS also on 36. WFSB is only about 4 dB stronger than WCBS; it needs to be at least 16 dB stronger. However, since WCBS is in the opposite direction, a high gain directional UHF antenna with a good Front to Back ratio should make WCBS weaker.

This report from rabbitears.info is probably more up to date:
https://www.rabbitears.info/searchma...study_id=35520

This is an extract from that report:

If you try the 2018 in the attic aimed at WFSB and still don't get it, there are several other things you can try.

The first would be to put a large sheet of cardboard covered with aluminum foil behind the 2018 to block the WCBS signal from the rear.

If that doesn't work, then you will have to do something more complicated like GroundUrMast suggested.

I suggest a two antenna solution. Use the 2018 as a VHF antenna without a preamp, and use an Antennas Direct 91XG or Solid Signal HDB91X with a preamp for UHF. You could try the DB8e for UHF, but the yagi antennas have a higher F to B ratio.

Combine the VHF antenna with the UHF antenna and its preamp with an Antennas Direct UVSJ UHF/VHF Combiner. That UVSJ will pass power to the UHF preamp.
https://store.antennasdirect.com/UHF...Combiners.html

The VHF antenna doesn't need a preamp for ABC.

I can't guarantee that will work with all those trees, but I think it's you best chance if you can't go outside.

Code:

UHF Ant > preamp >
                  \
                 UVSJ > coax > power inserter > TV
                  /
    2018 for VHF >
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BrianHawthorneTVFreportRE2.jpg (288.5 KB, 1398 views)

Last edited by rabbit73; 16-Dec-2019 at 12:18 AM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Dec-2019, 2:59 AM   #4
GroundUrMast

My previous estimate of your location may be inadequate... It would be helpful if you could generate a signal prediction using the search tool at rabbitears.info, https://www.rabbitears.info/searchmap.php

Old 16-Dec-2019, 10:07 PM   #5
BrianHawthorne

Thanks

GroundUrMast, Rabbit73,
Gentlemen thanks for the in depth information. I plan to start with the aluminum foil trick, to see what happens, and take it from there.
GroundUrMast,
I ran my lat-long through rabbit ears, here’s the link
https://www.rabbitears.info/searchma...study_id=35895

Thanks again,
BrianH
BrianHawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Dec-2019, 1:27 PM   #6
GroundUrMast

Thanks for posting the additional prediction... My estimate of you position was off target apparently. It looks as if rabbit73 did a better job. Please keep us informed on your progress.