TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 20-Jul-2015, 2:40 AM   #1
MarcCharette

Recommendations for pointing a DB8e

I am moving my antenna into my attic due to concerns over the stability of my roof mounted mast (had some pretty bad wind the other day and it was swaying pretty bad)
Here is my report: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...8e033e2fa4e3a1
These are the channels I care about:
CKCO-DT
CIII-DT
CICO-DT
CITY-DT
CITS-DT
CHCH-DT

I had previously tried to get CHCJ-DT but gave up due to it not being reliable (I found a way to stream it online anyway)

So to my question: I have an Antennas Direct DB8e that I've already put in the attic. Seeing as I have signals coming from multiple directions I figured that was a good one to get because it allows you to point it in two different directions. So what would you suggest is the best way to point it so that the weaker channels like CITY-DT aren't overpowered by CIII-DT?

You may wonder why I don't just do trial and error until a get what I want, but it's very difficult to get in the attic and also very hot and unpleasant to be in there so I want to make sure I'm pointing it with a plan in place so I can get out quickly.

Thanks!
MarcCharette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Jul-2015, 12:27 PM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

The adjustable panel peature of the DB8e works most reliably when the panels are 90° from each other, so try that with one panel aimed at CITY an the other aimed at CITS/CHCH.

However, I have my doubts that an attic location will be viable for reception of the weakest signals, a rooftop location (with proper guying) is strongly recommended as the forecasted signal levels are too low to accomodate attic penetration losses in the estimates. You'll simply have to try it and see what happens.

Good luck.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Jul-2015, 1:35 PM   #3
MarcCharette

Thanks for the tip about putting them at 90 degrees, didn't know that. I'll adjust them to that orientation. Right now I do get all the channels I was looking for after putting it up there just pointing it generally towards CITS/CHCH (didn't use a compass), but the SNR showing on my tv is about 17 db so just above viewable but looking to get it a bit higher to make sure it is reliable. So once I use a compass and try the 90 degree thing hopefully it will be all set then.

Just FYI, the roof consists of one sheet of plywood (or whatever the bottom layer of wood is called), and one layer of asphalt shingles so there isn't a ton for the signal to get through
MarcCharette is offline   Reply With Quote