TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 29-Jan-2020, 4:45 PM   #1
DaveBB

Losing channels that I once had good signal

Hi
I have a Winegard antenna with a amplifier on the antenna and a signal booster to help the signal go through the 5 lines going into my house. Installed 7 years ago. I always got great reception now all the sudden I'm not getting good signal on the channels and can't watch them. What do you think happened? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
DaveBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Jan-2020, 9:43 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

Any part of the system that's exposed to the elements for 7 years is suspect more than parts that have been protected. Start at the beginning, the antenna;

A close inspection for corrosion, water intrusion or physical damage would be my first step.

Assuming no visible trouble, attach a known good receiver directly to the antenna with no amplifiers or splitters, using the shortest length of cable that allows you to safely use the test TV to check the output of the antenna. Ideally, the test TV should have signal quality diagnostics. If the antenna is unable to produce a reliable signal in this setting you need to consider whether one or more of the following are true, your antenna inspection has missed a defect, there have been changes near your location which would block reliable reception (new construction or tree growth for example) or changes to TV transmitters due to repack or any other reason.

If there is reliable reception at the antenna, then begin splitting the system in half... once you have good signal at some mid-point, you know the trouble is downstream of the testing point.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Jan-2020, 8:22 PM   #3
DaveBB

Thanks

Hello
The antenna appears to be fine with no corrosion or damage. I'm going to go up on the roof Monday and replace the preamp to see if that's the problem. I'm thinking that the preamp might be the problem. Will let you know if it helps or not.
Thanks Dave
DaveBB is offline   Reply With Quote