TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 27-Aug-2013, 1:13 AM   #1
HercDriver

5-way splitter

Firstly, here's my report:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae9ed2a16afb
I live in a very heavily wooded area, where the trees are over 100 feet tall. I tried a Mohu Leaf ultimate antenna, in the room above my garage, and if I turned towards the south, I got the Boston channels, intermittently, but I returned it. I'll be happy if I can get the networks. My plan is to get a rooftop antenna, facing 171 degrees, to get WCVB, WGBH, WBZ, WHDH, and WFXT, which are all about 35 miles away. I was thinking of either the DB2E or ClearStream2, which have 45-50 mile ranges, or the DB4E or ClearStream4, with 65+ ranges. I was hoping as a bonus that I could pick up WMUR which is 14 miles in almost the exact opposite direction, since the antennas advertise that they can pick up high VHF. I have 5 zones to split the signal to. I was going to use the cable splitter that I still have from Comcast (I cut the cord last month), but I need to know if I'll need a pre-amp, and which antenna I should choose, and if I should get a different splitter, that can inject power to the pre-amp.

Thanks for any help
HercDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Aug-2013, 3:07 PM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

If you're in that heavily wooded of an area, anything you get is going to be potluck.

Try whatever antenna on a single set with a direct connection. If it works, then an 8 port distribution amp would likely work well.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Aug-2013, 3:30 PM   #3
GroundUrMast

I'd suggest you start with an Antennas Direct DB4e. If you are happy with the results, consider adding an Antennacraft Y10713 for support of real CH-9 & CH-11.

The trees can be a challenge.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Aug-2013, 5:11 PM   #4
teleview

Aim a Channel Master CM4228HD antenna at about 192 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

Use a Old School magnetic compass.

Install a Channel Master CM7778 preamplifier.

Install the preamp power supply and power injector and preamp unit between the splitter and antenna and or use a splitter that passes power through one or more input/output ports.

Last edited by teleview; 28-Aug-2013 at 8:55 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 27-Aug-2013, 5:57 PM   #5
HercDriver

Distribution Amp

Were you talking about something like this: http://www.amazon.com/8-Port-Bi-Dire.../dp/B000WDR94U for the 8-port distribution amp? Do you think an amp will be necessary? I was just going to open the Comcast box, on the outside of my house, and connect the antenna's cable to the "input" on the splitter that is already there, since the cables already run into the house, to my TVs.

Although there are a LOT of trees, they are probably in the 75-80 foot range. Most are the huge pines that I call "telephone poles", because they are tall, straight, and have almost no branches on the bottom 3/4 of the tree. They just have a "cap" at the top. Anyway, they might be what was causing the intermittent signal with the Mohu.

What is the difference between the DB4e and the ClearStream4?

Thanks for the help.
Old 27-Aug-2013, 11:58 PM   #6
HercDriver

The CM4228HD has good reviews, but the listed dimensions are 9 1/2 by 8 feet! That is WAY too big. My wife would have a cow if I put that up on our roof! The DB4e is listed at 2 by 3 feet, which is a lot easier to justify, and it also has 4.5 star average review and many recommendations. My only other question is whether to get the 40 inch or the 30 inch J-mount, to go with it.

Does anyone think I'll need both a pre-amp and a distribution amplifier, or just one of them. I was reading this article: http://www.dennysantennaservice.com/...mplifiers.html
and wondering if the signals are considered strong or weak. The article says with a weak signal and a 6 or 8 way splitter, to go with both a pre-amp and a distribution amp. With a strong signal, it says to only use the distribution amp. The Boston stations are listed between 20-32 NM(dB) on my TVFool signal analysis, but there are some closer stations that go up to 53.4. I don't want to overdrive those signals. Actually the only one I would watch is the WMUR, which is listed at 52NM, and is high VHF. If I go with the DB4e and a 6-way splitter, would I need both amplifiers?

I could use some recommendations on a splitter, as well as amplifiers.

Thanks, again.
Old 28-Aug-2013, 3:10 PM   #7
HercDriver

I think I'm close

I just read the ENTIRE dscription of the CM4228HD on Amazon.com. In the "product features" section, it lists the dimensions as: 113 x 95 x 22 inches. In the "technical details" section, it lists the dimensions as: 41.2 x 3 x 34.5 inches, which is more believable.

Having said that...it costs over $100, so I investigated the Terrestrial Digital DB8, which is a sub-brand of Antennas Direct, and is listed at $79. This one got great reviews, and was also the recommended antenna, when I put my address into HDTV Antenna Labs, as the single antenna solution. That site also said that a pre-amp was required.

I think I'm going with this antenna, and I'm leaning towards the CM7777 pre-amp and the PCT International 8-port amplifier/splitter. If anyone can see potential problems with this set-up, please chime in, as I'll probably make the purchase later today. I want to get this set up, in time for NFL on Sunday!
Old 28-Aug-2013, 8:21 PM   #8
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
113 x 95 x 22 inches
Metric dimensions in mm, probably. Yet another Amazon listing error.

Quote:
DB8
Probably as good as can be expected. Receives VHF off back better than front, so aim it to the SSE. Use a 40" J-mount of extra real estate. Don't drill any holes in your house until you've found a good spot where it's first proven to work.

Quote:
CM7777 pre-amp
No, it will overload.

Quote:
8-port amplifier/splitter
Yes. Keep the coax from the antenna to the distribution amp as short as possible.

Quote:
address into HDTV Antenna Labs
Sort of useless site....

Quote:
got great reviews
Sometimes, it's the blind leading the blind with reviews. However, sometimes, even a blind squirrel finds the acorn. Basing what should be a technical buying decision on the cumulative opinion of the "crowd" isn't very precise.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Aug-2013, 1:44 AM   #9
HercDriver

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
Receives VHF off back better than front, so aim it to the SSE.
Perfect! I couldn't have planned that better. The UHF stations are at 171 degrees, and the lone VHF station I want is at 360.

Quote:
Use a 40" J-mount of extra real estate.
OK

Quote:
Don't drill any holes in your house until you've found a good spot where it's first proven to work.
I was thinking either at the peak of the roof, or a chimney mount, but I can't stand up there holding it, to make sure. I'm just going to have to keep my fingers crossed. I won't be drilling through the shingles, into the roof, though, just the trim at the top of the peak, on the side.

Quote:
No, it will overload.
Well I'm REALLY glad you told me that...I was worried about it.

Quote:
Yes. Keep the coax from the antenna to the distribution amp as short as possible.
Will do...I'm planning on putting the distro amp on the same side of the house as the antenna.

Thank you very much for your advice...I'm really looking forward to getting it all set up!