TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 15-Apr-2019, 6:11 PM   #81
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstone View Post
Sorry for any confusion.
The PA 18 is connected to the DB 8E with a 3' cable.
Then 50' cable is connected to the PA 18 to the power inserter with 3' cable to the combiner

Thanks for clarifying the UVSJ.

As you can tell, I understand as much about electronics as I do rocket surgery
No worries. Just trying to get a full picture of what you have since I can't lay eyes on it.

Another question...are both of your antennas mounted on the same mast? Or are they located some distance apart?
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Apr-2019, 6:17 PM   #82
blackstone

Yes.
Sort of.
The UHF is mounted on a piece of conduit attached to and old wooden pole that, previously, had a dusk to dawn light.
The center of the antenna is approx. 12-13' above ground.

The VHF is on a separate mast attached to the same wooden pole and Approx. 18' above ground
blackstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Apr-2019, 6:18 PM   #83
blackstone

Would a picture help?
Old 15-Apr-2019, 11:26 PM   #84
bobsgarage
Antenna Enthusiast

Quote:
Yes.
Sort of.
The UHF is mounted on a piece of conduit attached to and old wooden pole that, previously, had a dusk to dawn light.
The center of the antenna is approx. 12-13' above ground.

The VHF is on a separate mast attached to the same wooden pole and Approx. 18' above ground
Just for your information, the UHF should always be above the VHF. I could go into it but it has to do with signals and signal strength and how the signal comes in etc... But as a general rule put the UHF above the VHF.

Unless for some reason there is a tree branch right in front of the upper part of the antenna as UHF as more sensitive to trees and leaves Etc....
bobsgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Apr-2019, 11:51 PM   #85
blackstone

Thanks for that info, Bob.
Antenna Direct mentioned that a while back, too.

I'd hate to change them around because I have the DB 8E zoned in and not sure how long it would take to get it back.

Since it seems that I'm getting good signal now, is it important?
Would that have anything to do with my current situation?
Old 16-Apr-2019, 12:36 AM   #86
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
the UHF should always be above the VHF.
I wouldn't say that... but i would say this instead...
Quote:
But as a general rule put the UHF above the VHF.
Normal convention is for the UHF to be above the VHF, but it's not a rule carved in stone as there are always exceptions. I tell folks to do whichever works best. Once that is found, leave it alone.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Apr-2019, 12:55 AM   #87
blackstone

Thanks, ADTech.

As I said above, it seems the signal is good but getting mixed up.

Hopefully, the UVSJ will sort those things out.
Old 16-Apr-2019, 3:50 AM   #88
Tim

Quote:
Would a picture help?
I think we are good now. I will modify the diagram of your system tomorrow when I get a chance.
Old 16-Apr-2019, 10:27 AM   #89
blackstone

Appreciate all the effort
Old 16-Apr-2019, 12:32 PM   #90
Nascarken
Banned

Yes that's true that is why you should stack 91xg side by side.
Nascarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Apr-2019, 12:39 PM   #91
blackstone

Thanks, nascarken.

Is "91xg" an antenna?
Old 16-Apr-2019, 2:35 PM   #92
bobsgarage
Antenna Enthusiast

Quote:
Thanks for that info, Bob.
Antenna Direct mentioned that a while back, too.

I'd hate to change them around because I have the DB 8E zoned in and not sure how long it would take to get it back.

Since it seems that I'm getting good signal now, is it important?
Would that have anything to do with my current situation?
AD Tech is correct, it's not a steadfast rule, merely a strong suggestion to put the UHF antenna above the VHF antenna. So, for now, you can just try the antenna position the way it is and if you like what you have, keep it that way.

I do have a suggestion on keeping the same aim on your DB8e. You can take a 3 or 4 or better yet a 5-foot foot level and scribe a line with a Sharpie on your mast. Make a corresponding alignment mark on your clamp.

Loosen the clamps, slide the antenna down and line up your marks again. That should keep the aim exactly as how you had it. As you've already figured out you will have to remove the other antenna to do this.

Just an idea.

Last edited by bobsgarage; 16-Apr-2019 at 2:39 PM.
Old 16-Apr-2019, 2:45 PM   #93
bobsgarage
Antenna Enthusiast

Quote:
Thanks, nascarken.

Is "91xg" an antenna?
91 XG is an excellent highly directional antenna made by Antennas Direct. One of the highest gain UHF only antennas in the industry.

If you ever decide to order one, call Antennas Direct, and have them match the Amazon price including the shipping. They will do it, and you will get to spend some quality time with some excellent customer service people and see how it's really done!

It will take longer to get it from them because they will ship it the cheapest way possible. If you're in a hurry then Amazon is the best way, you can get it in one day or even the same day if you're close to a shipping center.

I ordered mine and waited. Yes, it took a little longer but I was happy that Antenna Direct got the full profit on the reduced-price. I call it loyalty.

It's a good company.!

Last edited by bobsgarage; 19-Apr-2019 at 2:22 AM.
Old 16-Apr-2019, 2:48 PM   #94
Nascarken
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsgarage View Post
AD Tech is correct, it's not a steadfast rule, merely a strong suggestion to put the UHF antenna above the VHF antenna. So, for now, you can just try the antenna position the way it is and if you like what you have, keep it that way.

I do have a suggestion on keeping the same aim on your DB8e. You can take a 3 or 4 or better yet a 5-foot foot level and scribe a line with a Sharpie on your mast. Make a corresponding alignment mark on your clamp.

Loosen the clamps, slide the antenna down and line up your marks again. That should keep the aim exactly as how you had it. As you've already figured out you will have to remove the other antenna to do this.

Just an idea.

I suggest you try too put the db8 on a 35degree agl it will in prove your receive the same way you put a satilight dish on an agl
Old 16-Apr-2019, 2:59 PM   #95
Nascarken
Banned

antennas Direct 91xg

Quote:
91 XG is an excellent highly directional antenna made by Antennas Direct. One of the highest gain UHF only antennas in the industry.

If you ever decide to order one call Antennas Direct, and have them match the Amazon price including the shipping. They will do it, and you will get to spend some time with some excellent customer service people and see how it's really done!

It will take longer to get it from them because they will ship it the cheapest way possible. If you're in a hurry then Amazon this the best way, you can get it in one day or even thesame day if you're close to a shipping center.

I ordered mine and waited.yes it took a little longer I was happy that Antenna Direct got the full profit on the reduced-price. I call it loyalty.

is one of the best ANTENNA for uhf RECEIVE range that I
Got out of it was 90miles away higt h of the antenna was 100ft hi with a channel master 7777AMP and look around for the best price.
And know I use an 8200u for its hi&low band vh F and at the beginning of the 8200u are 91x g
Old 16-Apr-2019, 3:13 PM   #96
blackstone

I really appreciate that everyone is sticking with me on this.

Is there somewhere I can make a donation to offset the expenses of running the site or something?

I see that aligning my DB 8E again wouldn't be too hard but I would have to revamp my set up.
It may come down to that but I'll avoid it until all other options are tried.

As I mentioned above, each antenna is on a separate mast attached to a wooden pole.
The DB is on the south side of that pole and the CM is on the north side.
If I ever need to adjust the DB, I just need to loosen the clamps and it will pivot around an axis; the utility pole.
Because of the design of the CM, it needs to be higher than the pole the mast is attached to.

I'm getting a lot of stations right now with the separate antennas in the present configuration.
If the UVSJ does the job, I think I'm set.
Hopefully.

Regarding the 91XG, I hope I don't need to buy any more antennas.
I would gladly buy anything I could from Antennas Direct.

If they had a VHF antenna that worked for me, I would have gotten it from them.
The Clear Stream 5 didn't work for me.

I trust them.
They earned it the very first time I contacted them and they didn't try to sell me an antenna.

With all the internet charlatans out there, it was nice to find someone who was trustworthy.

Nascarken, I may try that down the road a little
Old 16-Apr-2019, 4:48 PM   #97
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
I suggest you try too put the db8 on a 35degree agl it will in prove your receive the same way you put a satilight dish on an agl
No. Do NOT do this, it is very unlikely to help and would more likely cause a reduction of reception due to the signal now coming in below the vertical reception pattern.

The antenna should not be aimed at the sky. If there's any tilting to be done on a panel antenna, it would have to be done by adjusting the angle of the mast itself.

As a general starting point, unless you are staring point blank into a cliff or bluff, just put it on a vertical mast so it's aimed in a plane parallel to the earth. There may be times when an upward tilt might be useful, but they are best dealt with on an individual basis after actual consideration of the pros and cons.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Apr-2019, 6:28 PM   #98
blackstone

ADTech, I'm a believer in not monkeying with something that seems to be working.

I'm getting pretty much everything that's available to me.
Right now, I disconnect one antenna or the other
Old 16-Apr-2019, 10:06 PM   #99
Tim

Quote:

The 91XG is an excellent antenna and is what I use. However, looking at the specs the DB8E actually has a little more gain and a narrower beamwidth. It should be doing just as good or a bit better job than the 91XG would do for him.
Old 16-Apr-2019, 10:18 PM   #100
Tim

OK, I think we now have a good idea of just how your antenna system is laid out. Here is the latest iteration.

When you get your UVSJ you can install it in place of the combiner/splitter you have but just leave your distribution amp in place and see what the results are.

Then leave the UVSJ in place and replace the distribution amp with your 4 port splitter and see what the results are.

Be sure and check your results on all 4 TV sets because there is some variation of tuners built into the TVs.

We are all waiting to hear your results.
Attached Images
File Type: png Blackstone recommended.png (37.7 KB, 755 views)