TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 5-Sep-2012, 11:58 PM   #1
Rick

Chico Ca Reception Problems

I installed a RS outdoor antenna last spring. All OK with stations KHSL, KNVN, etc. based in Chico and for the Redding KRCR and KIXE, etc. A few weeks ago reception got odd. All stations came and went, especially at night, including the closest, KHSL. Turning our whole house fan on, brought nearly all the stations back on! I've messed with connectors and been able to see some positive change, but still get most all channels dropped by 9 or 10 pm. Recently KHSL is dropping during the day for extended periods of time. I have two TVs split mid-way in the cable run and a splitter amp in the mix. All was working fine when I initially set this up. In fact, rabbit ears were pulling all but the two Redding stations in. Any ideas? I can't help but believe the whole house fan weirdness is some sort of clue? Thanks for the advice!
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Sep-2012, 3:16 AM   #2
teleview

ALL questions and answers about broadcast tv reception and More.

The following is a Teleview - recommendation fo digital broadcast Tv reception.

Little to nothing will happen in the way of recommendations without the tvfool radar plot report.

Use the Exact address to make the tvfool radar plot report and make the antenna height 25 feet.

What model number Radio Shack antenna is it??

Is the antenna in the attic or above the roof.

Last edited by teleview; 6-Sep-2012 at 3:59 PM.
Old 6-Sep-2012, 3:08 PM   #3
thom

how close is the fan to the antenna?
thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Sep-2012, 11:04 PM   #4
Rick

Chico Reception Issues...Update

I figured this out....I think. The loss of signal must be due to a distribution amplifier I installed at the split to my two TVs. It is located in the attic crawl space. As experts have written in this group, these "amps" are not always helpful. I reckon that the heat of the summer here in the valley, made the situation worse.

As for the whole house fan restoring the reception in the evenings..... The "amp" is plugged in to the same outlet box as the HVAC unit in the crawl space. The whole house fan acativates a relay that shuts down that circuit so that the HVAC is disabled...so turning on the fan shut down the "amp." No amp, better reception. Problem solved. Aiming the roof top antenna at due North seems to bring in all stations in Redding and Chico.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
I installed a RS outdoor antenna last spring. All OK with stations KHSL, KNVN, etc. based in Chico and for the Redding KRCR and KIXE, etc. A few weeks ago reception got odd. All stations came and went, especially at night, including the closest, KHSL. Turning our whole house fan on, brought nearly all the stations back on! I've messed with connectors and been able to see some positive change, but still get most all channels dropped by 9 or 10 pm. Recently KHSL is dropping during the day for extended periods of time. I have two TVs split mid-way in the cable run and a splitter amp in the mix. All was working fine when I initially set this up. In fact, rabbit ears were pulling all but the two Redding stations in. Any ideas? I can't help but believe the whole house fan weirdness is some sort of clue? Thanks for the advice!
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote