TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 9-Mar-2011, 11:34 AM   #1
justrussell

Rotator w/ TV tuner help

Hello all, great board.

I've installed a new antenna with rotator set up over the last week. It's a pretty slick setup. Yesterday, I finally had time to mess with the rotator and figure out how to use it. I'm about in the middle of Indianapolis, Louisville, and Cincinnati. I point the antenna toward Indy, and do the auto scan on TV and get a ton of channels. Then i point it toward Louisville do the auto scan and same thing. Here is my problem: when you do the autoscan for each position of the antenna, the tv gets rid of the channels found in the previous position. There is a manual entry area, but tv says this only works for analog. They're right, if i haven't ran auto scan, and point toward Indy and manually enter "8" or "8-1", nothing.... run autoscan and there it is.

Do I need to buy some kind of tuner box? or what do I need? Someone else has to have had this problem too....

Oh, my TV is a Sylvania 42 inch plasma 6842THG

Thanks for any advice.
Russell
justrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Mar-2011, 12:06 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

Kudos to mtownsend for his solution below...

/deleted rant/

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 10-Mar-2011 at 4:15 PM. Reason: streamline thread
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Mar-2011, 12:53 PM   #3
No static at all

Does the auto scan have a pause option? My Samsung LCD allows pausing during scanning & helps with adding in stations from different directions.

It would be nice to have a reference guide to compare how OTA friendly certain TV brands are. The most OTA friendly brand I have experienced would be Toshiba.
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Mar-2011, 3:18 PM   #4
mtownsend

Quote:
Originally Posted by justrussell View Post
if i haven't ran auto scan, and point toward Indy and manually enter "8" or "8-1", nothing.... run autoscan and there it is.
Have you tried tuning to channel 9? Since WISH-TV is really broadcasting on RF channel 9, the TV might detect the signal and decode it, subsequently re-mapping it to channel 8.1 due to the virtual channel encoding.

There's nothing physically on channel 8, so I'm not surprised that tuning to channel 8 (or 8.0 on some TVs) yields nothing. However, in most of the TVs I've come across, if you tune to a channel where there is a real signal present (like 9 in this case), it does lock on to the signal, decode it, and add it to the channel map.

This might not work on all TVs, but it's worth a shot.
mtownsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Mar-2011, 7:15 PM   #5
John Candle

Television reception.

Please post the tvfool radar report . http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=4 , Read and understand this about , Real Digital Tv Channels, Virtual Digital Tv Channels , Analog Tv Channels. . http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=695

Last edited by John Candle; 10-Mar-2011 at 11:10 PM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Mar-2011, 11:01 AM   #6
justrussell

Wow! Thanks to all; I really appreciate it. mtownsend, you were right. I did the manual program of the "real" channel.... the tv would go to that channel, then redirect to the virtual digital channel!! this is really great..

Thank you
Russell
justrussell is offline   Reply With Quote