TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 27-Oct-2015, 4:45 AM   #1
dvdhns

Reception in Longmont CO

My signal is occasionally interrupted with pixelation and choppiness. It's driving the family crazy, and I really don't want to go back to paid TV.

My signal analysis report is here: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...8e03adb5d9f2aa

I am primary only interested in the main Denver Broadcast Channels:
CBS 4.1 (35)
ABC 7.1 (7)
NBC 9.1 (9)
These three are all shown as “green” and should be able to be picked up with an indoor set-top antenna. They're also all in the same spot, so I'm fine with a directional antenna.

Here's my setup:

RCA ANT751R – Outdoor Compact Digital TV Antenna
Clear Stream 2 VHF Reflector Assembly
RCA TVPRAMP1R – Signal Preamplifier

Both the RCA and Clear Stream Reflector are mounted in rafters of the garage. They are mounted about 14 feet above the ground. They are pointed due south. If you drew a line-of-sight line to the broadcast towers, the signal should only be going through walls and siding, not roofing materials.
The RCA Antenna is plugged into the UHF input of the Preamplifier and the Clear Stream VHF Reflector is plugged into the VHF input. Both have only about 2 feet of coax between the antenna and preamplifier. The preamplifier VHF/UHF switch is set to SEPARATE; and the FM Trap switch is (I think) set to ON. The preamplifier output coax is then run about 40-50 feet from the garage into the basement where it enters the power injector. The power injector's output is then split into three lines that go throughout the house.

Interestingly, CBS 4.1 (35) along with all the other channels were coming in poorly. However, CBS 5.1 (30) which is the opposite direction and 35 miles farther came in with no issues.

The only in-house-caused interference I've seen is when a hairdryer was turned on within about 10' of the coax between the preamplifier and power injector.

Any suggestions?

I'm thinking I bought the wrong thing with the Clear Stream 2 VHF Reflector Assembly to help better pull in real channels 7 and 9? But that doesn't explain why I also have trouble with real channel 35?
dvdhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Oct-2015, 11:24 AM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Your plot includes the warning "WARNING: Address was only resolved to block level and might not be that close to your actual location. For more accurate results, try entering a specific address or coordinates." That means that google did not resolve your address as entered so it guessed. Google's guesses are usually wrong. Use the interactive/online map tool to accurately locate your rooftop then run a new plot and see if it significantly changes.

Your existing plot suggests the following:

1. Remove the amp and its power injectors. Your numbers say it it is unnecessary and likely detrimental.

2. The C2-V-REF is redundant and should be removed. Your 751 already has VHF reception elements.

3. Attics are never a sure thing. It too often takes patience and persistence to find a spot where everything plays nice. Sometimes, you never find that spot because it doesn't exist inside the attic.

4. Be prepared to put the antenna outside where the signals can actually get to it. Ever try the futility of trying to force a square peg into a round hole? Ever notice how much better your head feels when you STOP banging it into a wall?

5. Whatever may be outside your attic will affect the signal inside it. Common causes are trees, neighboring homes, hills, your own homes construction materials, and the like. Except for the hills, none of these are included in the signal forecast.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Nov-2015, 3:39 AM   #3
dvdhns

Here's a link the exact address plot:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...8e03b5ed4a6022

This weekend I had a chance to mess around with the configuration. Basically, without out the Amp hooked up, I could not get channel 7 (virtual 7.1) in at all. I ended up connecting the RCA 7551 antenna to the amp, with the combined setting on, and the FM trap turned on. The C2-V-REF is no longer connected. At the time (Saturday afternoon), everything came in nice and clear with no issue. Last night, channel 35 (virtual 4.1) was loosing the signal regularly. Tonight, none of the major networks are coming in.

I guess my only choice is to go higher?
dvdhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Nov-2015, 6:24 PM   #4
Tower Guy

I'd try the C2 on the UHF port of the preamp and the ANT-751 on the VHF port.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote