TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 23-Aug-2012, 12:48 AM   #1
StickDaChalk

Help me get yellow/red channels

Hello, I’ve been doing some research and it’s a little confusing, so I come here asking for some advice.

First, let me put you in context: I have a Winegard multi-bay antenna in the attic (facing to the true south) which is connected to my living room TV (for standard viewing) and laptop (for recording).

The exact connection to the tv is as follows: antenna > 4’ coaxial cable > coupler > 50’ coaxial cable > coupler > 8’ coaxial cable > splitter > 3’ coaxial cable. The connection to the laptop is the same but after the splitter there is a 4’ coaxial cable.

The couplers and splitter are of the best quality I could find in my local electronics store (gold).

My TV signal analysis can be found here: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9900eac76fad2b

I get all the digital channels in the green background color without a problem. Bad reception artifacts are extremely rare (1 second per month at the most).

On a clear day, I get two of the yellow background color channels: CBS (3.1) and NBC (5.1). On a very clear day, I get the other yellow background color channel: PBS (57.1) and sometimes even one of the red background color channels: ABC (22.1). I never get the red channel Fox (44.1).

So, my goal is to get all yellow channels always and if possible, I would also like to get the two red channels mentioned.

I am planning to buy a pre-amplifier like the CM-7777 and place it as close as possible to the antenna (most probably replacing the first coupler). I will place the power inserter PCT-MPI-1G closer to the tv (right before the splitter).

I have several questions:
  • Is the CM-7777 the best choice for my configuration?
  • If I use the CM-7777 what should I do with the FM trap?
  • Does the CM-7777 has an internal VHF/UHF switch? If so, what to do with it?
  • Should I be worry about overload because of some of the powerful signals I get?
  • Is there a power inserter like the PCT-MPI-1G with two ports? If so, should I use it to replace my current splitter?
  • Are there any other things to consider?

Thank you very much for your help,

Stick da Chalk.

Last edited by StickDaChalk; 23-Aug-2012 at 12:51 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention antenna direction.
StickDaChalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Aug-2012, 1:04 AM   #2
teleview

Tv Reception.

A Teleview Recommendation.

What antenna does your antenna look the most like??

http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

What is the model number of the Winegard antenna??

Last edited by teleview; 25-Aug-2012 at 1:12 AM.
Old 23-Aug-2012, 1:39 AM   #3
teleview

Tv Reception.

For reception of the Canada and USA Digital Tv stations/channels in the , Green , Yellow and Red zones.

Above the roof install a Winegard HD7698P antenna with a Antennas Direct CPA-19 preamp aimed at about 180 degree magnetic compass direction (south).

Use the CPA-19 preamp because the CPA-19 preamp has high over load resistance.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

For 1 Tv connected use no splitter.

For 2 Tv's connected use a 2 way splitter.

For 3 Tv's connected use a 3 way splitter.

Some common above the roof antenna mounts are , tripod antenna mounts , eave antenna mount , chimney antenna mount.

Here are some places to buy antennas and etc. , http://www.saveandreplay.com.

http://www.trentondistributors.com.

http://www.canadapost.ca/shopper.

http://www.amazon.ca.

http://www.winegarddirect.com.

http://www.solidsignal.com.

http://www.amazon.com.

As always , trees and tree leaves do a real fine job of , reflecting , reducing , or blocking , Tv reception and so do buildings and other obstructions.

For best reception mount the antenna where there is the least amount to no amount obstructions in the direction of reception.

The Tv/s Must Channel Scan for the Broadcast Tv Channels , sometimes named the 'Air Channels' or 'Antenna Channels' in the Tv setup menu because the Tv transmissions travel through the air from the transmitting antenna to the receiving antenna.

Last edited by teleview; 25-Aug-2012 at 1:13 AM.
Old 23-Aug-2012, 3:34 AM   #4
StickDaChalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleview View Post
What antenna does your antenna look the most like??
http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.
What is the model number of the Winegard antenna??
It is a Winegard HD-8800, here's an image from Amazon.

Quote:
For reception of the Canada and USA [...]
Above the roof install a Winegard HD7698P antenna with [...]
Here is how to aim antennas [...]
Here are some places to buy antennas [...]
Thank you for the generic information, but I was looking for more specific answers to my questions in the opening post. Particularly, someone who can analyze/compare the signals power and distances and maybe recommend a course of action; I'm looking to add to my current configuration, not to completely replace everything.

My antenna is in the attic (it's been there for about three years) and I don't plan to move it or to replace it anytime soon. I understand that a roof-mounted antenna is probably needed to pick up red channels, but I have already picked up one of the red channels listed in my signal analysis without a pre-amplifier: ABC (22.1). And, since it seems to be a weaker signal than Fox (44.1), I am willing to try a pre-amplifier to see if I can pick up Fox (or other red channels). Also, I would like more stable signals from the yellow channels.

I really hope that someone can help me with my specific questions (six bullets in the opening post).

Stick da Chalk.
Old 23-Aug-2012, 3:54 AM   #5
teleview

Tv Reception.

I can assure you the recommendations are not generic.

The signals in the Red zone are Weak and require the antennas to be free of obstructions to receive the signals.

Your location has receivable Digital Tv stations/channels in the Tv bands of ,

UHF channels 14 thru 51.

VHF channels 7 thru 13.

Move the Winegard 8 bay UHF channels 14 thru 51 antenna to above the roof.

Also above the roof install a Winegard YA1713 , VHF channels 7 thru 13 antenna aimed at about 180 degree magnetic compass direction.

Combine the 2 antennas with a UVSJ = UHF/VHF Separator/Joiner.

And connect the CPA-19 preamp to the UVSJ.

In the http://www.solidsignal.com , search box , type , uvsj .

Last edited by teleview; 25-Aug-2012 at 1:14 AM.
Old 23-Aug-2012, 4:16 AM   #6
StickDaChalk

Quote:
I can assure you the recommendations are not generic.
The signals in the Red zone are Weak and require the antennas to be free of obstructions to receive the signals.
Your location has receivable Digital Tv stations/channels in the Tv bands of ,
UHF channels 14 thru 51.
VHF channels 7 thru 13.
Move the Winegard 8 bay UHF channels 14 thru 51 antenna to above the roof.
Also above the roof install a Winegard YA1713 , VHF channels 7 thru 13 antenna aimed at about 180 degree magnetic compass direction.
Combine the 2 antennas with a UVSJ = UHF/VHF Separator/Joiner.
And connect the CPA-19 preamp to the UVSJ.
In the http://www.solidsignal.com , search box , type , uvsj .
Once again, thank you. I understand now that the recommendation were not generic and I'm sorry if I sounded disrespectful; it wasn't the case.

If you have a couple of minutes, could you please address my specific questions on the opening post? My antenna is in the attic and I don't plan to move it. Also, I don't want to add an additional antenna.

In the quote above, you mentioned "VHF channels 7 thru 13", could you please explain? How do this translate in terms of the signal analysis results that I posted? If it is the "Real" column, then it is very confusing, because I get 10 (10.1, TVA) and 12 (12.1, CTV). And like I said, I once got 13 (22.1 ABC).

My goal is not to get the best reception on all channels. I just want to improve a little bit what I already have. Above-the-roof is not an option for me. Hope you understand.

Thank you.

Stick da Chalk.

Last edited by StickDaChalk; 23-Aug-2012 at 4:18 AM. Reason: Correct grammar.
Old 23-Aug-2012, 4:20 AM   #7
teleview

Tv Reception.

WFFF-DT REAL Digital UHF channel 43 , virtual number (44.1) FOX , 85.6 miles distance.

WVNY-DT REAL Digital VHF channel 13 , virtual number (22.1) , ABC , 85.6 miles distance.

_________

The VHF channels of 7 thru 13 do travel further with out losing as much signal strength as UHF channels do.

And also this is a issue of receiving Tv transmissions at 80 some miles distance with 2 edge obstructions ( hills and mountains ) in the way.

Last edited by teleview; 25-Aug-2012 at 1:14 AM.
Old 23-Aug-2012, 4:41 AM   #8
teleview

Tv Reception.

Before the Digital Tv transition.

Tv stations transmitted Analog signals.

When Tv stations switched Off the Analog signal and switched On the Digital signal.

Some Tv stations begin transmitting the the new digital signal on a different channel then the old analog signal.

However.

Some Tv stations kept the old analog channel 'number' even though the Tv station may or may not be transmitting on the old analog channel.

So one might say why in the name of good sense would a Tv station do this??

The reason is 'Channel Branding' , the Tv station is known as , as an example , Channel 4 NBC.

This is what people have known the NBC as for , many , many , many , many , many , years , so the Tv station keeps the old number even though the Tv station may or may not be transmitting digital on the old channel.

Last edited by teleview; 25-Aug-2012 at 1:16 AM.
Old 23-Aug-2012, 5:15 AM   #9
teleview

Tv Reception.

REAL channels are in fact the REAL and Actual channels that is being Transmitted and Received.

Being or not disrespectful is not the issue and is not an issue.

This information is explained here at tvfool all the time it is a on going situation that never ends.

I know that no one tells any one else any of this information out there in the big wide world.

Now days people are concerned with Buzz Words like HD this and HD that , 'Quad Shield' , Super this and Super that , Ego this and Ego that. Angry Birds this and Angry Birds that.

It would be helpful if people would repeat sometime useful from time to time.

Here is some information about the Analog to Digital transition in Canada.

http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=8783.

Last edited by teleview; 25-Aug-2012 at 1:16 AM.
Old 23-Aug-2012, 6:50 AM   #10
teleview

Tv Reception.

Channel Branding is interesting.

During the time of the main part of the digital transition here in the USA , June 2009.

On another forum , the discussion was , ABC channel 13 , the Tv station changed the channel of transmission to UHF 15 and also changed the virtual number to 15.

Several people on the the forum could not grasp the idea and fact that it was and is the same ABC , the same news anchors , the same weather person , the same sports person.

Because the number 13 was not on the Tv screen for them to look at , then it was Not Their ABC.

The virtual number is what you see on your Tv screen and that virtual number may or may not be the REAL channel that is being transmitted.

On a hopeful note , it looks like Canada is moving towards having the REAL channel and the virtual number the same.

So if the Real channel is UHF 35 then the virtual number is 35.

And the people have to get used to the fact that the CBC is still the CBC even if they do not see the old number of 6.

It does not look like the USA will be moving to have the REAL channel and virtual channel numbers the same any time soon.
A few stations have done it , but the majority have not and does not look like they will.

Last edited by teleview; 25-Aug-2012 at 1:17 AM.
Old 23-Aug-2012, 2:38 PM   #11
StickDaChalk

Back on topic

Teleview, I was not confused about the channel label per se (but thanks for the information). I was just wondering why did you recommended a "VHF channels 7 through 13 antenna" if my UHF antenna picks up channels 10, 12 and sometimes 13. It seems unnecessary, that's all.
_________

Okay... Back on topic, can someone please answer my specific questions about adding an amplifier?
  • Is the CM-7777 the best choice for my configuration?
  • If I use the CM-7777 what should I do with the FM trap?
  • Does the CM-7777 has an internal VHF/UHF switch? If so, what to do with it?
  • Should I be worry about overload because of some of the powerful signals I get?
  • Is there a power inserter like the PCT-MPI-1G with two ports? If so, should I use it to replace my current splitter?
  • Are there any other things to consider? (while keeping my existing configuration)
Thanks,

Stick da Chalk.
Old 23-Aug-2012, 3:40 PM   #12
teleview

Tv Reception.

Return to topic.
I recommend a 7 thru 13 antenna because the 7 thru 13 antenna is designed to receive 7 thru 13.
And as such will do so better then a 14 thru 51 antenna.

Last edited by teleview; 25-Aug-2012 at 1:18 AM.