TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 11-Oct-2020, 9:57 PM   #1
jamesm113

Loose coax connector

Would a loose coax connector cause reception issues?

I'm trying to get two weak local stations (within 3 miles). They show up when I do a scan with an RTL-SDR scanner, but my tuner cannot get a quality signal.

Was monkeying around in the attic and I noticed the coax connector is quite loose and can even fall off the coax cable. I simply pushed it back on and everything else seems OK, but thought I should double check.
jamesm113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Oct-2020, 10:44 PM   #2
OTAFAN

Hi jamesm113:

A loose coax connection (or any other for that matter), will sooner or later cause reception problems. You proved that after you pushed the cable back on. Always check your connections first when encountering this issue. I have read numerous posts across the years which have verified this solution. I personally have found it resolved my issues on occasion.

Since your coax connection was inside up in your attic, you don't have to worry about weather, but make sure your outside roof connections are sealed up for the life time of the connection. I prefer Coax Seal since its fairly easy to install and remove, but others like silicon or grease, etc.

Probably more than you wanted to know, but hopefully this response has helped. Others might have some favorite tips.

All the best.....

Last edited by OTAFAN; 11-Oct-2020 at 10:47 PM.
OTAFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Oct-2020, 12:20 AM   #3
jamesm113

Sorry - I should have specified - even with the connector pushed in all the way. I am still not able to receive those two local stations. I recently moved and am trying to get those two local stations working.

Is it likely the loose connector is causing the problem?

Here's an example of a channel I am not able to pick up (channel 17), despite appearing to have a strong SNR when I did a RTL SDR scan.
Attached Images
File Type: png Channel 17.png (63.1 KB, 740 views)
Old 12-Oct-2020, 1:11 AM   #4
OTAFAN

What market are those two real channels (not virtual) in? In other words, perhaps you could post your Signal Report off RabbitEars.Info? It would be very helpful in getting the help you need from the forum.

Otherwise, my best guess is that since you're only several miles away from their towers, their signals could be overshooting you; depending on the terrain surrounding your location, such as tall trees or if you're down in a valley behind a large hill. Or, it's possible their signal is directed somewhat away from you. Or.....sometimes the stations might have temporary technical problems. Here in SOCAL LA/OC, I've had a few stations occasionally not display on my screen even though my signal meter was 100%. But I'm shooting in the dark here.

If you go to RabbitEars.Info and put in your zip code for a signal report, I'm sure someone will be able to help you. The TV Fool Signal Reports are not as current, if you try to use those.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. But the forum needs more specific information to help resolve your issues.

Keep the forum posted, please.....

Last edited by OTAFAN; 12-Oct-2020 at 1:26 AM.
Old 12-Oct-2020, 3:03 AM   #5
jamesm113

I'm in Santa Barbara, CA.

Rabbit Ears: https://www.rabbitears.info/searchma...tudy_id=162078

TVFool.com: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...90385d38cce168

I care about:
K10PV-D (NBC, real channel 10, virtual channel 6)
KSBB-CD (Fox/CBS, real/virtual channel 17)
KEYT-DT would be a nice bonus, but I'm not having any trouble receiving it.

K10PV-D comes in if I point the antenna straight at it.
KSBB-CD never shows up on a channel scan, even if the antenna is pointed straight at it.

My setup:
* 2 MCM FM traps (there's a local low power radio station operating on 96.5MHz nearby)
* Aerial industries FAE60 LTE filter
* Clearstream juice pre-amp
* 45 foot cable run
* Winegard Freevision HD (FV-30BB) in the attic, pointed in between K10PV-D and KSBB-CD.

I've attached my RTL-SDR scans. There's nothing notable between 600-800MHz with the LTE filter
Attached Images
File Type: png FM.png (46.9 KB, 750 views)
File Type: png UHF.png (49.3 KB, 751 views)
File Type: png VHF.png (61.3 KB, 733 views)
Old 12-Oct-2020, 3:27 AM   #6
OTAFAN

Thanks for the report, jamesm113.

There are some excellent Techs here on TV Fool that I'm sure will be able to assist in resolving your issue. Let's give them a chance to look it over and fingers crossed, see what they come up with.

One further thought. Since your antenna set up is in your attic, it won't be as optimal in signal reception as compared to up in the clear roof top. Signal strength from your market towers will be reduced by roofing material. Just the reality of it, unfortunately. Also, channel 17 is "good" but channel 10 shows "fair" on your rabbitears report. So, you have that dynamic at play.

If you could get your set up on the roof, I think you would have a better chance of picking up what you want. But let's see what others here come up with. Stay hopeful and let's wait for further input. If I can think of anything else, I'll let you know. In the meantime, I'll keep an eye on this thread.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. But we'll stay hopeful. All the best.....

Last edited by OTAFAN; 12-Oct-2020 at 3:43 AM.
Old 12-Oct-2020, 3:30 AM   #7
jamesm113

No roof access as I'm in a condo. The attic is above the 3rd story though
Old 12-Oct-2020, 3:35 AM   #8
OTAFAN

Ok, I'm getting a better understanding of your situation.

Let's give the Techs here a chance to chime in.

Thanks for the reply and lucky you living in Santa Barbara!

P.S. Take a look at this antenna. Rabbit73 uses it in his set up in Virginia and reviews around the Net have been favorable.

https://byjasco.com/pro-attic-mount-antenna

http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=16783

Last edited by OTAFAN; 12-Oct-2020 at 3:56 AM. Reason: additional
Old 12-Oct-2020, 6:26 PM   #9
jamesm113

Turns out KSBB-CD is ATSC 3.0, so that explains why I am not receiving that channel.