TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 27-Jan-2011, 3:41 PM   #1
l33tDad

Cutting the cable

I don't know about anyone else, but the cost of cable is getting out of hand and I would like to go OTA. However, I live in a somewhat rural area :\

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...3cf4ef20eaad5e

As you can see, there are 2 towers near me, but they are 90ยบ apart and hidden behind hills. I know that I could go with a rotor system to pick up both towers, but having multiple tv's that are to be used, that will become problematic. Exactly how will I be able to receive signal from both towers at once? Will a single high gain antenna pointing at the weaker of the 2 be able to cut it for both towers? Maybe pointing towards the weaker one, but slightly off-axis?

Also, according to the research I have done, between the 2 towers, I will receive ABC, CBS, WB, FOX and MyTV. However the closest NBC tower is 40 miles of hills away and I can't even find a PBS tower within a reasonable distance.

Lastly, I noticed that these towers are analog. Is that true? I thought analog was eliminated. If they are, do they carry the digital subchannels?

Any thoughts, suggestions or recommendations would be great!
Old 27-Jan-2011, 5:33 PM   #2
No static at all

Unfortunately the only receivable channel OTA would be channel 16, but not quite sure what type of analog programming they carry. As close as channel 6 is, it is just too weak to recieve at your location.

The other stations below those 2 from Buffalo & Elmira are just too weak to receive with the diffcult terrain around. Unfortunately, cable or satellite may be the only ony viable options.
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Jan-2011, 6:03 PM   #3
GroundUrMast

If you are located on the valley floor between Hornell and Canisteo, not even a 100' tower would get you much signal...

I have to agree with NSAA, you are in a tough spot.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Jan-2011, 6:19 PM   #4
Dave Loudin

You can click on any of the stations in the table of your report to see the path profiles the model used.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Jan-2011, 6:36 PM   #5
l33tDad

Sigh... Well that really sucks, but in all honesty doesn't surprise me much at all... It's just that cable is getting ridiculously expensive and although satellite may be cheaper, when you have 6 TV's, all those additional receivers add up. Maybe what I'll do is to drop cable to the "basic" levels (chans 2-13 @ $12.95/mo) and run a Roku box on all the other TV's as I don't want to eliminate broadband anyway.

Thanks for the guidance and confirmation though
Old 27-Jan-2011, 6:47 PM   #6
chumster

Quote:
Originally Posted by l33tDad View Post
Sigh... Well that really sucks, but in all honesty doesn't surprise me much at all... It's just that cable is getting ridiculously expensive and although satellite may be cheaper, when you have 6 TV's, all those additional receivers add up. Maybe what I'll do is to drop cable to the "basic" levels (chans 2-13 @ $12.95/mo) and run a Roku box on all the other TV's as I don't want to eliminate broadband anyway.

Thanks for the guidance and confirmation though

If your using broadband you may get locals for free. My installer put a filter on the line and I get CBS, PBS, NBC, ABC, Fox, CW for free. Call and ask maybe they will work something out. If not $12.95 is alot better than a $100.00 satellite bill.
chumster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Jan-2011, 7:01 PM   #7
l33tDad

They won't give us free anything here, I mean, I'm dealing with Time Warner Cable. Over that, we have tried to work a deal with them, the best that they would do is to knock $8 a month off our now $120 bill. Yea, thanks for nothing... lol
Old 27-Jan-2011, 7:56 PM   #8
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

The radar plot is only resolved to street level and the antenna height is at an automatic 10 foot level. Send me a private message with your exact address and I will research your situation. W16BE - WYDC FOX is LOS Line Of Sight and can be received with an antenna like the Antennasdirect DB2. You can call the other Tv stations , talk with engineering departments about when/if the Tv stations will have transmitters for area where you live. Here is information about Digital and Analog http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=695 . . Also consider this http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=265

Last edited by John Candle; 27-Jan-2011 at 8:01 PM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Jan-2011, 8:57 PM   #9
No static at all

I have driven through Hornell many times & never seen 1 TV antenna anywhere within at least 20 miles of town. The terrain is challenging & I seriously doubt any OTA is doable other than the 2 analog translators north of town.
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Jan-2011, 9:10 PM   #10
John Candle

Even so , I like to research and find a way if I can.
Old 28-Jan-2011, 12:34 AM   #11
l33tDad

Quote:
Originally Posted by No static at all View Post
I have driven through Hornell many times & never seen 1 TV antenna anywhere within at least 20 miles of town. The terrain is challenging & I seriously doubt any OTA is doable other than the 2 analog translators north of town.
It's very pretty country here, but you are right, the terrain is very challenging with the hills. Over that, the area is about 45 minutes from nowhere lol I've only been here about 2 years and originally from the Central NY area where I was receiving a TON of stations with a modest roof mount antenna. Oh well...

John: The problem that I'm thinking that I will run into is that even though that tower is a shade over a mile away, I can not see it from the 2nd story window of my house as it is blocked by a hill. The other tower is the same way; only just over 2 miles, but blocked by a hill...

I'm really thinking that unfortunately my only realistic choice is the basic cable especially considering NBC is 40 miles away (Elmira, NY) and the closest PBS I could find is 30 miles (Savona, NY) and is extremely low power...

Now, with that Antennasdirect DB2, the description I saw says it's for UHF frequencies while FOX is channel 6 which I thought is VHF... I guess I'm not really up on this whole digital thing yet. Wouldn't I need a VHF antenna for that and then a UHF antenna for W06AR or whatever the other tower is called (lol)

Last edited by l33tDad; 28-Jan-2011 at 1:20 AM.
l33tDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Jan-2011, 5:01 AM   #12
John Candle

W16BE / WYDC has been approved to receive Federal Grant Money / our tax dollars , to convert to Digital http://www.ntia.doc.gov/lptv/lptv-fi...Awards-NY.html , but I do not know when will change to digital , when the change to Digital does take place then more then 1 channel- subchannel will be transmitted. . W06AR / wney.com , did not find any Digital conversion information. These 2 Analog channels are receivable now with a 50 foot tower , 2 different antennas 2 preamplifiers , 2 sets of coax cables , and remote control A/B switches comes to about 500 dollars or so. As long as these 2 channels are Analog , I don't think it's worth the money. When the 2 transmitters convert to digital and have digital sub channels to receive then I think it will be worth the effort and money.

Last edited by John Candle; 29-Jan-2011 at 5:34 AM.
Old 29-Jan-2011, 5:29 AM   #13
John Candle

Get the phone numbers of these 2 stations and the other stations of the surrounding area , talk with the engineering departments and find out about digital transmitters that when/if can be received at your location.
Old 29-Jan-2011, 5:32 AM   #14
John Candle

I suggest look in to FTA. and . ROKU/NETFLIX , ROKU is the small box that receives 1000's of movies and Tv show for 10 dollars a month.