TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Enthusiast's Exchange

Notices

Old 23-Mar-2010, 8:08 PM   #1
teleview

Lightbulb F.T.A. Free To Air , Satellite Tv

KU Band Small Dish , F.T.A.-ST = Free To Air Satellite Tv has been available since 1997 in the , USA , Canada and Mexico.

FTA-ST is very common and well known around the rest of the world but is not well known here among Generational Americans and Generational Canadians.

There are people watching FTA Tv here and you can find them on the internet , type in FTA Satellite Tv or FTA Tv or FTA forums or this web site is a good place to start http://www.ftalist.com/ .

FTA-ST Free To Air-Satellite Tv is received with a Small KU Band small dish , 36inch (90cm) to 48inch (120cm) dish size and the dish is motorized or can be mounted stationary. The dish and motor units are very compact and the receiver and dish are not much money. As example and not the only example , http://www.manhatten-digital.net.

And in Canada , www.saveandreplay.com , have small dish bundles that have the motorized dish the FTA receiver the cables and everthing all as a package deal and you will be suprized at how low the price is.
As a matter of fact you will be shocked at how low the price is.

Yes FTA-ST is Free to receive and watch , no descrambler is needed. Yes FTA-ST is 100% legal.
[FTA IS NOT , dish network , direct tv , star choice , bell express view or shaw direct.]

FTA-ST is in fact FTA-ST = Free To Air - Satellite Tv.

At http://www.ftalist.com are listed some English language channels to watch , CCTV 9 , 'Create' Tv of PBS , COZI Tv , Melli Tv , MHZ Worldview , Montana PBS , Patient Channel , All of the PBS Feeds - PBS - PBS HD 1 - PBS HD 2 , PBS HD 3 , PBS World. The Pentagon Channel , Press TV , Research Channel , RTV- RetroTv , Russia Today-RT , Smart Lifestyle Tv , Sports Stations , Tuff Tv , University Network , Veterans Affairs Knowledge Network. Radio Stations and Music Stations and a Lot More.

FTA Programing is also available with Many other languages http://www.ftalist.com/languages.php

Join in with the FTA people , find em on FTA forums.

Last edited by teleview; 29-Mar-2014 at 4:50 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 21-Sep-2010, 10:08 PM   #2
pdsebring
Sceptic

FTA satellite

Don't forget to mention DVB-S2 HDTV on FTA. I watch PBS HD on satellite AMC 21 at 125W. PBS on satellite is frequently different than my local terrestrial broadcast IPTV (Iowa Public Television).

I recently purchased Ku band FTA equipment from Sadoun. Its great fun.

I love www.ftalist.com. www.lyngsat.com is interesting and more complete but harder to navigate. www.lyngsat.com includes C band FTA.

You can get dish pointing information from www.dishpointer.com.

Last edited by pdsebring; 21-Sep-2010 at 10:32 PM.
pdsebring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Sep-2010, 10:25 PM   #3
pdsebring
Sceptic

C band FTA

Don't forget the OTARD (Over-the-Air Reception Device) rule of 1996. Governments, home owners associations, and landlords can prevent you from erecting a C band dish which would probably be 6 feet or larger, but they can't prevent or even delay you from erecting a Ku band dish as large as 1 meter.

Most C band equipment is in rural areas where the neighbors won't care if you put up BUD (Big Ugly Dish).
pdsebring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Jan-2011, 4:25 AM   #4
rickcain

And to think I had my C-band satellite system disassembled hauled off when I moved 15 years ago. I could have taken it with me and reused it. For awhile there in the 1990s it seemed like there was nothing viewable on C-band because it all went to scrambled, other than the various newsfeeds which randomly popped up.

The C-band did come in handy during the 1991 gulf war. Raw newsfeeds were watchable on multiple channels.

I am interested in a 3 foot dish FTA system. They're pretty cheap and apparently only Galaxy 19 has a lot of things to watch, so a rotator doesn't seem to be worth the extra cost.
rickcain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Jan-2011, 11:41 PM   #5
chumster

I received as a gift the sadoun motorized dish and cant wait till the weather warms to use it. I had an old primestar mast and erected a smaller pipe into it which is plumb and very sturdy. I read that ION and NASA are FTA on the 119. Are they still there?

I also have an old C-band dish I havent used since the late 1990's. The installer had such a hard time setting it up I am afraid to mess with it!
chumster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Oct-2011, 10:24 PM   #6
GroundUrMast

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free-to-air#North_America

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Oct-2011, 11:54 PM   #7
be236

Too bad there's no (or very few/rare) traditional local TV stations on FTA. Probably because most viewers would *not* be in the local market to buy products from local commercials... alas...
be236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Nov-2011, 12:34 AM   #8
ghz24

new to fta

if your wondering what's fta I think these were deleted

http://legalfreetoair.com/index.php?...023&topic=4.30

http://www.whatsonfta.net/FTA-Information.php
ghz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Dec-2011, 6:04 PM   #9
BryGuy460

FTA I have had no luck with the past few years, always going down or dropping. New box every year. I think I may be done with it. Has anyone seen this new IPTV Pod? looks like it may do the trick, I would like more info from someone who has used it.
BryGuy460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Dec-2011, 5:07 AM   #10
ghz24

not encouraging

I've considered adding an fta system.
So I'm curious
Quote:
always going down or dropping. New box every year.
BryGuy460 could you explain going down or dropping? And why would you buy a new box every year?
And to get more responses to the IPTV device question you could start a new thread somewhere maybe here http://forum.tvfool.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15
(I guess it's a reception device sort of)

be236: I guess they aren't traditional but aren't the sub feeds like metv, ion, rtv, tuff, bounce... and PBS feeds available?
Old 24-Dec-2011, 4:02 PM   #11
be236

ghz24,

Nope... no "subs" with those traditional channels you'd get with cable or regular satellite.

It's a bunch of non-traditional stuff... lots of religious programming, and ethnic (aka foreign feeds, mainly from the Arabic world and some SE asian channels).

There used to be "local" US station feeds, but they have become scarce if not non-existent. Guess it's because it's the "free" in FTA that the dont make any money to broadcast on FTA.
Old 24-Dec-2011, 5:38 PM   #12
BryGuy460

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghz24 View Post
I've considered adding an fta system.
So I'm curious

BryGuy460 could you explain going down or dropping? And why would you buy a new box every year?
And to get more responses to the IPTV device question you could start a new thread somewhere maybe here http://forum.tvfool.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15
(I guess it's a reception device sort of)

be236: I guess they aren't traditional but aren't the sub feeds like metv, ion, rtv, tuff, bounce... and PBS feeds available?
Going down as in no longer able to bring in the contnet you want though FTA. The channels change, DN works one day and the next it does not. I have 4 FTA boxes because to get the stuff you want you have to have the box that is working.
Anyway, FTA is dead to me. I pulled the trigger on the IPTV Pod and it has fixed the problem. I already get all the news and regular US programming that I wanted plus I am adding apps everyday for movies and well anything you can think of. I love this box, and would highly recomend it over investing in a dish/ FTA system. I even added the NFL Sports pakage, this thing is awesome and it is cheaper than an FTA reciever.
BryGuy460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-Dec-2011, 6:01 AM   #13
ghz24

Quote:
Nope... no "subs" with those traditional channels you'd get with cable or regular satellite.
Now I'm confused. So the listings here

http://www.whatsonfta.net/FTA-Channe...ellite=AMC%203 for "THIS" "METV" "CWTV detroit" are not there, not receivable, not what I think?

Ya I see they are C band.
BryGuy is your system Ku or C band?
Old 31-Dec-2011, 4:59 PM   #14
be236

Ah... good listing find... yeah, most of those are C-band and you might need a MPEG4 FTA receiver... lot of RTV channels and MeTV.... if you like that kind of stuff, then go for it.. but keep in mind those channels could get scrambled at any time in the future, etc...
Old 16-Jan-2012, 1:17 AM   #15
ghz24

New tuner boxes

I've asked around on forums devoted to FTA and there are 10+ year old tuners still in use,

Don't be confused that it's satellite FTA is not for getting free subscription TV services ( HBO cable ect..)
Old 18-Mar-2012, 8:27 AM   #16
rickcain

Ku

I have a Ku FTA system with a 1 metre dish, and I'm somewhat disappointed that many broadcasts have gone back to C-band.
While I do get 290 channels on Galaxy-19, 99% of it is foreign language, dominated by arabic and farsi language channels. Other than Russia Today, Al Jazeera and Telesur there's not much to look at.

I do enjoy having a bunch of PBS channels though. The C-band on a small dish project was fun but it simply can't collect enough signal to get much.

If only OTARD could be updated to allow 1.8 metre dishes I'd be a happy camper.
rickcain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Mar-2012, 5:34 PM   #17
Electron

Fta

Dancing around the issue. In reference to the FTA box going down all the time. More then likley a illegal modified receiver. Those that buy the illegal modified receivers are filled with lies and talk like there mouth is full of marbles.

Last edited by Electron; 19-Mar-2012 at 5:44 PM.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Mar-2012, 5:43 PM   #18
Electron

Fta

Here is a place to start with Legal FTA reception. http://www.ftalist.com. There was a time (when my avatars were Teleview and John Candle) I had A Lot of practical and useful FTA information here at tvfool. I removed it because of constant and never ending harassment during that time.

Last edited by Electron; 19-Mar-2012 at 9:44 PM.
Old 19-Mar-2012, 6:13 PM   #19
Electron

Fta

The Free channels on FTA are , get this-> FREE!! . It does require some actual thinking to receive FTA. If thinking is not where you are at in life then pay for pay cable or pay satellite. The type and kind of talk that I am reading here with the other posters is what I call , negative - positive. To talk about a issue in a negative way that turns out to be positive.
Old 19-Mar-2012, 6:19 PM   #20
Electron

Tv antennas and Tv reception

There are more satellites up there then Galaxy 19.