TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 18-Oct-2013, 3:35 AM   #1
mike99mws

Antenna selection help

The link to my signal analysis is http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae7fd97f5504 . I am planning on putting an antenna above the roof(~15 off ground ) because I am surrounded by Pine trees ( North Florida ). There is only going to be one tv, and I am looking for the best setup to maximize the clear channels. I am a total newb with antennas, so any advice on what equipment to buy will be really appreciated. (antenna/amp/ anything you think will help). Right now only pick up 1-2 channels with a cheap indoor antenna.
There is an old antenna( unknown model ), Probably just going to reuse the pole.
http://www.prelevators.com/atenn2.jpg
mike99mws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Oct-2013, 1:33 PM   #2
elmo

Welcome! Any reason why you don't want to use the existing outdoor antenna? What's the history on it?
elmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Oct-2013, 1:55 PM   #3
mike99mws

The antenna was there and not hooked up when we bought the house. I know its an older analog antenna, not sure if it can be used with a digital converter. I will be at the house in a week and will be able to give you more information on it. Thanks for the quick response.
Old 18-Oct-2013, 8:18 PM   #4
Stereocraig

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike99mws View Post
The antenna was there and not hooked up when we bought the house. I know its an older analog antenna, not sure if it can be used with a digital converter. I will be at the house in a week and will be able to give you more information on it. Thanks for the quick response.
It's worth a try.

There are no such things as digital, or analog antennas, anymore than there are any such things as B/W, or color antennas.
Stereocraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Oct-2013, 9:02 PM   #5
mike99mws

Yeah, I am going to give it a shot. I am new to the OTA world, so I apologize for my ignorance. Thanks for the info, and I will let you know how it goes. From my signal analysis should I be able to pick up most of the main Channels? and if I need to get a new antenna would a omnidirectional or multi-directional antenna be better for my situation. Thanks again.
Old 18-Oct-2013, 10:32 PM   #6
teleview

Pratical and Useful Information.

A clearer picture of the antenna will help with identification.

Aim the antenna at about 224 degree magnetic compass direction , here is how to aim antennas , www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html .

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna.

The Tv Must Channel Scan for the , OTA=Over The Air , Digital Broadcast Tv stations/channels , often named the 'Air Channels' ~ ' Antenna Channels' in the Tv Setup Menu because the Tv transmissions travel through the Air from the transmitting antenna to the receiving antenna.

Some digital Tv's will Automatic channel scan for cable Tv channels.

DO NOT channel scan for cable Tv channels.

Go into the Tv Setup Menu and Select 'Air Channels' ~ ' Antenna Channels'.

Scan for channels.

------------------------

The Digital Broadcast Tv stations/channels that to be received are.

WUFT , Real UHF channel 36 , virtual number (5.1-2-3) PBS channels.

WOGX-DT , Real UHF channel 31.1-2 , virtual number (5.1-2) FOX and Movies!

WCJB-DT , Real UHF channel 16.1-2 , virtual number 20.1-2 ABC and The CW.

WGFL-LD , Real UHF channel 28.1-2 , virtual number 28.1-2 CBS and MyNetwork.

WESH , NBC and Me-Tv.

Last edited by teleview; 20-Oct-2013 at 4:40 AM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 18-Oct-2013, 11:00 PM   #7
Stereocraig

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike99mws View Post
Yeah, I am going to give it a shot. I am new to the OTA world, so I apologize for my ignorance. Thanks for the info, and I will let you know how it goes. From my signal analysis should I be able to pick up most of the main Channels? and if I need to get a new antenna would a omnidirectional or multi-directional antenna be better for my situation. Thanks again.
No need for an apology, it's just that many in the industry would like us to stay uninformed and like to dazzle us w/ buzzwords.
Stereocraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Oct-2013, 12:13 AM   #8
mike99mws

Thanks again, I will line up the antenna at 224 Degrees. I will let you know how it works out.