TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 23-Feb-2015, 3:10 PM   #1
enajane

Getting all expected channels except two

Using an RCA set-top antenna, I can get all of the channels listed in green:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...f1f0b426bddb35

except for channels 45 (W45DN-D) and 46 (Fox/WBFF).
I'm puzzled by this because the signal for Fox is stronger than CBS, NBC, and PBS, but I get all of those. Fox, NBC, CBS, and ABC are all in the same location ('TV hill').
I don't particularly care about ch 46, but I would really like to get ch 45. I've tried all different orientations and different floors (so from 0-~20ft above ground level), but I still can't pull in Fox.

I'm using this antenna:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
enajane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Feb-2015, 4:07 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

Are you willing to consider an outdoor antenna? I believe that a mid sized combination antenna such as the Winegard HD7694P or Antennacraft HBU33 pointed SW could roughly double the number of stations received.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Feb-2015, 4:15 PM   #3
enajane

I rent. There's not much I can do for outdoor antennas. Really, I just want to get Fox! It's so strange to me that I get the others from the same location but not Fox.

May I ask why SW? I think those are the Washington DC channels, which are much farther from me. The NE ones are much closer (and stronger, I think?), and are really the only ones I'm trying to get.
Old 23-Feb-2015, 5:36 PM   #4
GroundUrMast

If you're only interested in the local signals, that's fine. I brought it up because many folks are trying to get every possible signal.

If we concentrate on the stronger signals to the NE, the next step would be to test reception with your existing antenna outside, with a view to the NE. You would need an RG-6 cable and an F-81 barrel connector...

Example:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/CE-TECH-5...0-ft/203717795
http://www.homedepot.com/p/PerfectVi...rd=coax+barrel

At the same time, you can explore reception conditions at windows with a NE view as well as conditions in the attic.

Old 23-Feb-2015, 11:17 PM   #5
enajane

Ok. I've tried the antenna with a mostly clear view NE at heights ranging between roughly 0-20 ft above ground. Still no improvement--the only thing that seems to change is whether or not I receive various PBS stations, and that seems to be linked to the exact position of the rabbit ears. My understanding is the channel I'm looking for is picked up by the loop, and that's what I need to focus on aligning.

Here are the channels I regularly pick up--I'm not sure what the real channel number is for most of them:
2.1 wmar-hd
2.2 wmardt1
2.3 bounce
11.1 wbal-dt
11.2 wbal-sd
13.1 wjz-tv
22.1 mpt-hd
22.2 mpt-2
22.3 V-me
24.1 wutb-hd
24.2 gritTV
54.1 wnuv-hd
54.2 get-tv

So mostly I'm just looking for WBFF/ch 46 (45.1)
Old 23-Feb-2015, 11:52 PM   #6
GroundUrMast

Indoor reception is frequently affected by electronic devises (CFL and LED bulbs, motors, computers, appliances, etc.) which emit small amounts of interference. In some cases, moving the antenna to a location away from the noise source resolves the problem... If no indoor location can be found, you can try a larger antenna, even one designed for outdoor mounting. But in some cases, the only solution is to use an outdoor mounted antenna. Two major factors explain this... 1) Outdoors, there is less loss due to building penetration and 2) Outdoors, the antenna is further from the source(s) of interference.

I'd try testing reception outdoors and in the attic.

If I was starting from scratch, seeking just the strong local stations, I'd use an Antennas Direct CS2-V or RCA ANT-751R pointed NE.

If my landlord would not allow the use of penetrating mounting hardware, I'd look into a ground mounted mast that relied on a weighted base or staked guy wires.

Old 24-Feb-2015, 10:57 AM   #7
No static at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by enajane View Post
. . . . . So mostly I'm just looking for WBFF/ch 46 (45.1)
If in your shoes, I would upgrade to a better antenna. The best compact indoor antenna by far is the C2V. Kinda pricey, but is hard to beat for it's size. I see them occasionally on Craigslist for substantially less if you can wait.

I did find a very good indoor antenna you could try if on a tight budget. Found this on Craigslist not too far from you that should do better than the RCA. OOOPS, SKIP THIS ONE. IT'S AMPLIFIED.

Last edited by No static at all; 24-Feb-2015 at 1:03 PM.
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Feb-2015, 6:10 PM   #8
enajane

Thanks for the suggestions! I checked out a local hardware store and found this antenna http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER which got good reviews, so I thought I'd try it. After pointing it at my local stations (indoors and out) I got 16 channels or so (no Fox/WBFF though).

On a whim I pointed it to the DC stations, and now I get all the local stations (again, except Fox/WBFF) + some DC stations for a total of 28. So that's nice. With some careful adjustment and no passing trucks I get DC's Fox station WTTG, so my end goal of just getting ANY Fox station is mostly accomplished--just in time to watch Gotham next week.
Thanks for the help!