TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Special Topics

Notices

Old 11-Jul-2019, 2:54 PM   #1
BrooklinOTA

Impact of ATSC 3.0 on Canadians getting USA reception

Hi everyone,

I just saw an article on CNET around the continued emergence of ATSC 3.0 broadcasting. This had me wondering, once the new format becomes mainstream, will it affect my ability to watch Buffalo stations from Toronto?
BrooklinOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Jul-2019, 3:11 PM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

You're assuming it becomes mainstream, but my opinion is that it will be "probably not too much" if and when it happens..

You'll likely need to worry a great deal more about the effects of the on-going repack as the assigned channels get shuffled around on both sides of the border. Co-channel and adjacent channel interference are probably going to be the limiting factors as there will about the same number of stations crammed into a much smaller section of RF real estate.

US broadcasters, in order to transition to ATSC 3.0, will have to channel share with an existing licensed facility My guess is that this will have to happen on both the ATSC 1 and the ATSC 3 sides of the equation. They will be required to maintain an ATSC 1 signal, whether on their own licensed signal or would have to share with another licensed station (on that station's ATSC 1 signal) in order to free up their own signal to carry ATSC 3. I'd expect to see several (2-3, perhaps) stations in an area share one station's signal for ATSC while the ATSC 1 signals get shared on others.

I'd be very surprised to ever see the Canadian broadcasters make the move to ATSC 3.0.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 11-Jul-2019 at 4:13 PM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Jul-2019, 5:53 PM   #3
BrooklinOTA

Fascinating. The media don't seem to be focusing on these technical issues. Does it give you a sense of where OTA television will be in the next 5-10 years?
BrooklinOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Jul-2019, 11:36 PM   #4
JoeAZ

As AdTech stated:

"You'll likely need to worry a great deal more about the effects of the on-going repack as the assigned channels get shuffled around on both sides of the border. Co-channel and adjacent channel interference are probably going to be the limiting factors as there will about the same number of stations crammed into a much smaller section of RF real estate."

You will most certainly lose the ability to receive some if not many of those fabulous Buffalo,
NY stations. Perhaps you might want to contact Canadian Broadcasters and
ask them why they do not carry worthwhile programming. I've not understood why
Canadian Broadcasters do not often use their available sub-channels. For example,
why is CTV-2 not carried as a sub-channel of CFTO rather than a UHF stand alone
signal??? You'll have to get by with reruns of Red Greene or Coronation Street!

Last edited by JoeAZ; 11-Jul-2019 at 11:40 PM.
JoeAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Jul-2019, 2:05 AM   #5
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
contact Canadian Broadcasters and ask them why they do not carry worthwhile programming.
Look at who owns/operates them....

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote