TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 13-Jan-2011, 1:31 PM   #1
musky

Arrow looking for a good attenena

iv seen adds that say the attenea is good for 150 miles..is there any truth to it.also im looking for the best attenea to buy and which channels could i expect to pick up in niagara.

thanks

is this attenea good for picking up all ota channels.

musky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Jan-2011, 4:16 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

The more fantastic the advertising claims, the more suspicious one should be.

I can not think of any circumstance where I would recommend this antenna.

Many decades of experience in communications has confirmed repeatedly, you can not remove noise and interference from a signal with an amplifier.

Many small antennas with built in amplifiers are on the market, each to a degree, suffers from the same basic design flaw;

They use a small, low gain antenna which due to the laws of physics, can not receive as much of the desired signal or reject enough interfering signals. Then, attempting to make up for the first compromise, an amplifier is added to the design, which due to the laws of physics, increases the strength of the desired and undesired signals while adding noise produced inside the active components of the amplifier.

Finally, I think the price is quite high.

If you would like a suggestion that applies to your location, feel free to post a link to your TV Fool report. http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=4

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 13-Jan-2011 at 4:25 PM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Jan-2011, 4:41 PM   #3
musky

thanks here is my fool report..

would use suggest a 8bay for most installations.

also is a routor required to get good singal on most channels..how far would a 8bay attenea pick up from.
Attached Images
File Type: png Radar-All.png (80.2 KB, 563 views)
Old 13-Jan-2011, 5:05 PM   #4
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

Send a message via AIM to Tigerbangs Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerbangs
Some type of a good UHF antenna mounted on a rotator should give you good results. Look at the AntennasDirect XG-91, the AntennasDirect DB8, the Channel Master 4228 HD or the Winegard HD-8800 and a rotator like a Channel Master 9521a. You should see the Toronto and Buffalo stations with such an installation.
Tigerbangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Jan-2011, 5:42 PM   #5
musky

thanks any idea how far the range is with these antennas...
Old 13-Jan-2011, 5:59 PM   #6
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

Send a message via AIM to Tigerbangs Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerbangs
Honestly, there is no such thing as range on a TV antenna: it is only an approximation by the antenna manufacturer based on level terrain, and therefore is not any basis for deciding how good an antenna is. The antennas that I suggested are widely regarded as the best of their type, and they are the most capable antennas that are available for your situation.
Tigerbangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Jan-2011, 6:48 PM   #7
musky

ok thankyou for your time..
Old 14-Jan-2011, 5:43 AM   #8
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

More about scam tv antennas. http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=1201 , http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=1202
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Jan-2011, 11:22 AM   #9
clayton

does antenna world wide they are saying on youtube it worked in portarico not far from so it can work here in the bahamas
clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Jan-2011, 4:10 AM   #10
rickcain

I think we need a sticky about scam eBay antennas. These things are being dumped on the market by the hundreds under various names and its inevitable we will see more and more people duped into buying them by snake oil salesmen hocking them on YouTube.

I'm even seeing them on legitimate OTA antenna vendors websites now, its getting ridiculous. The profit margins must be ridiculous if a company is willing to sacrifice its reputation just to sell these junk antennas.

Last edited by rickcain; 16-Jan-2011 at 4:10 AM. Reason: bad english
rickcain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Jan-2011, 4:45 AM   #11
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

I agree with rickcain. For the purpose of evaluation I bought 3 different models of these cheap china antennas. Even a person that knows nothing about anything will be astounded at how cheap and flimsy these antennas are , it's truly amazing. There is a lot of profit to be made. It's a numbers game , sell as many as possible , replace as few as possible.

Last edited by John Candle; 16-Jan-2011 at 4:56 AM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Jan-2011, 11:37 AM   #12
clayton

thats true to it look cheap and flimsy i dont see a small antenna like that pushing 1000 to 150 miles out
Old 16-Jan-2011, 11:37 AM   #13
clayton

100 i mean
Old 17-Jan-2011, 10:33 AM   #14
Esteban

I almost bought one of the cheap antennas, myself. If you look at all of them,, they are so much alike in appearance & exaggerated claims . Whenever I see an ad with several different colors,, paragraph after paragraph of printing in the ad,, I get suspicious ! There is a dealer about 40 miles from me who sells them. Buyers seem to be initially pleased with the antenna, but then again, they are living right on top of 10 or more stations. A " paper clip " antenna will pick those up . The rotors may, or may not work, right out of the box. They are so cheaply made that I doubt they could survive any wind without damage. There are some pretty good " real " antenna choices for just a little more money.
Esteban is offline   Reply With Quote