TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 29-Feb-2016, 1:30 PM   #1
skatingrocker17

Mount Antenna to Railing?

TV Fool

I have a db4e with the VHF kit. The direction my antenna faces towards the transmitters currently has to face right into a wall. Which works, but there are dropouts occasionally (from 100% to 0% back to 100% likely from air traffic), I was thinking if I got the antenna out there a little more that it may clear up the issue. Also, WADL can be problematic to get at times because it's not located near all of the other Detroit towers which are mostly centralized in one location.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I could mount it on the railing seen in the picture below?

I'm currently using the Winegard LNA-100 and powering 3 TVs. Would upgrading to something like the Winegard LNA-200 help? Or do I run the the risk of overloading the tuner? I am also considering something like the Channel Master CM3414 instead,

Last edited by skatingrocker17; 29-Feb-2016 at 3:45 PM.
skatingrocker17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Feb-2016, 3:17 PM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Don't see any photo....

Quote:
The direction my antenna faces towards the transmitters currently has to face right into a wall.
That means that your reception is from some combination of signal penetration and signal reflections. Impossible to predict as it is what it is.

Quote:
I'm currently using the Winegard LNA-100 and powering 3 TVs. Would upgrading to something like the Winegard LNA-200 help?
No. The LNA100 is a better amplifier but has to remain indoors, just keep the lead between the amp and the antenna as short as you can. Up to 30', the LNA100 is still the better choice.

Quote:
I am also considering something like the Channel Master CM3414 instead,
I wouldn't bother unless you have to relocate the amp away from a power outlet.

Quote:
Also, WADL can be problematic to get at times because it's not located near all of the other Detroit towers which are mostly centralized in one location.
WADL is a mere three degrees northerly from most of the rest of your stations. It's reception is an antenna location problem, you'll likely need to do some more experimenting with location to see if you can find a spot where everything works out.

When restricted of an indoor or balcony location, the choice of equipment can only go so far. Some locations simply will never allow for reliable reception of everything so, at some point, you have to declare that things are as good as they can get given your constraints.

A common balcony or patio solution involves a 5-gallon bucket filled with sand or gravel and a pole or mast that fit on your balcony. Be creative.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Feb-2016, 3:34 PM   #3
tclearinghouse

Looks like the image host is the problem, if I open the link to the photo I can actually see it:

http://e15i.imgup.net/DSC_0331cb81.JPG

I am sure that the signal issues you are having is because of the aim, 1/3 of your uhf surface and 1/2 of your VHF is right behind the wall. I would be afraid mounting that to the rail would not be very sturdy, especially if a strong wind comes. What about a Jmount a smaller antenna, like the clearstream 2V? That antenna looks like overkill for your report.
tclearinghouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Feb-2016, 3:51 PM   #4
skatingrocker17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
Don't see any photo....

That means that your reception is from some combination of signal penetration and signal reflections. Impossible to predict as it is what it is.

No. The LNA100 is a better amplifier but has to remain indoors, just keep the lead between the amp and the antenna as short as you can. Up to 30', the LNA100 is still the better choice.

I wouldn't bother unless you have to relocate the amp away from a power outlet.

WADL is a mere three degrees northerly from most of the rest of your stations. It's reception is an antenna location problem, you'll likely need to do some more experimenting with location to see if you can find a spot where everything works out.

When restricted of an indoor or balcony location, the choice of equipment can only go so far. Some locations simply will never allow for reliable reception of everything so, at some point, you have to declare that things are as good as they can get given your constraints.

A common balcony or patio solution involves a 5-gallon bucket filled with sand or gravel and a pole or mast that fit on your balcony. Be creative.
Thank you, I'm sure things are probably as good as they're going to get. I will probably only be at this apartment a few more months so it's not a huge deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclearinghouse View Post
Looks like the image host is the problem, if I open the link to the photo I can actually see it:

http://e15i.imgup.net/DSC_0331cb81.JPG

I am sure that the signal issues you are having is because of the aim, 1/3 of your uhf surface and 1/2 of your VHF is right behind the wall. I would be afraid mounting that to the rail would not be very sturdy, especially if a strong wind comes. What about a Jmount a smaller antenna, like the clearstream 2V? That antenna looks like overkill for your report.
I hosted the image on another site so it's working now, although displaying sideways. I bought the antenna before I moved there so I wasn't really sure what would work and what wouldn't and I had the intention of using it to get Toledo locals (since that's the area I'm from). A Clearstream 2V would have been a better choice and more aesthetically pleasing, I actually had one too but sold it last summer. I'll just make do.
skatingrocker17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Mar-2016, 2:42 PM   #5
Tim

You could probably mount your mast to the corner post of the balcony with some stainless steel hose clamps...
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Mar-2016, 7:48 PM   #6
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
You could probably mount your mast to the corner post of the balcony with some stainless steel hose clamps...
Keep in mind that any portion of the antenna that extends beyond the balcony is no longer protected by OTARD.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Mar-2016, 3:14 PM   #7
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
Keep in mind that any portion of the antenna that extends beyond the balcony is no longer protected by OTARD.
Otay, if that happens to be an issue with the property management, then perhaps moving the current antenna and mast assembly to the other end of the balcony so it is not directly against the wall may be of some help.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Mar-2016, 3:36 PM   #8
shoman94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Otay, if that happens to be an issue with the property management, then perhaps moving the current antenna and mast assembly to the other end of the balcony so it is not directly against the wall may be of some help.
As long as it's your exclusive balcony. If its shares with other tenants then it is a common area which does not apply to the law.

If you get the landlords permission then you can do anything they allow.
shoman94 is offline   Reply With Quote