TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 1-Sep-2011, 5:04 AM   #1
phone man

Whoa! 98 mile reception tonight!

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...3e47e33abc7580

I'm having a bit too much fun with this OTA television stuff. A couple of the weaker stations were coming in rather well tonight so I thought I'd run a scan and see if more than the usual 18 channels showed up.
To my surprise the scan came up with 23 channels. WHIO, -16.9 dB (CBS ch7.1) and WPTD, -22.5 (PBS ch16.1) and their substations from Dayton OH, 98 miles away, made up the five new stations.
I've been watching them for the last couple hours with no drop outs or pixelation issues. The SNR dB numbers are in the upper teens but not enough fluctuation to make them drop out. The 98 mile distance is putting a smile on my face but the fact that the antenna isn't pointed that direction has me scratching my head. The 4228HD antenna is aimed at 210 degrees. TVfool shows these Dayton stations at 245 degrees. Huh?? Maybe ideal atmospheric conditions and enough of a side "lobe" or whatever those side reception antenna zones are called are allowing this to happen. Any thoughts on this??
phone man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Sep-2011, 5:42 AM   #2
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

Yes it is what you have said about reception conditions , the signals can be very strong at times. The ducting process through the sky is interesting and fun for reception. You could put up another CM4228HD with a Antennas Direct CPA-19 preamp , on a CM9521A rotor and rotate around to different points on the compass , you would suprized , some like , WXCB-CD 45 and WMNO-CA 28 would be received all the time and the others around the compass would be received most of the time or some of the time. A separate coax would go to the location of one Tv and a A/B antenna switch , model AB27RS or radio shack 15-1968 would switch between the antenna you have now and one on the rotor. There are Tv and Radio DX websites on the internet , it's a great hobby. There is also ground wave reception , Tv and Radio signals can go along about about a foot or so above the ground.

Last edited by John Candle; 1-Sep-2011 at 5:45 AM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote