TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 4-Jul-2012, 2:42 AM   #1
vkeks

Help getting started, antennas and such

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...13492937460f35

HI, thanks in advance for any help. I currently have a digital tv, an antenna mounted on top of my house 20+ feet, with a hook up to rotate the antenna. Also have a signal booster on the antenna. This was all in place (except the digital tv) prior to the switch from analog to digital. I can pick up a small number of channels including 24, 27, 33, 66. Any help on what equip, etc. to pick up additional channels would be appreciated. Would like to pick up channels, if possible in Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Erie.

Thanks,
Vince
vkeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Jul-2012, 2:45 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

It looks as if you have a great selection of signals to choose from. With the correct antenna and preamplifier you should be receiving a couple of dozen signals or more.

Do you have the make and model of the existing antenna and amplifier?

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Jul-2012, 3:57 AM   #3
vkeks

Thanks for your reply. Antenna is approx. 20 years old...no idea on make. signal booster is from Radio Shack...cat no. 15-1108, if that helps. suppose I could climb up on the roof and take a pic if that would help re: the antenna.
Old 4-Jul-2012, 4:57 AM   #4
GroundUrMast

At 20 years most antennas are getting a bit worn.

If I were starting fresh, with a desire to get as many signals as possible, I'd opt for a Winegard HD7694P or any of it's larger variations (7695 through 7698). The Antennas Direct CPA-19 preamp has a much better performance specs than any of the competing Radio Shack products.

Old 4-Jul-2012, 5:15 AM   #5
vkeks

Yep. Figured I would need to do an upgrade on the antenna. Appreciate the recommendation on " Winegard HD7694P or any of it's larger variations (7695 through 7698). " I'm assuming that bigger is better... meaning further range of receiving signal?

Regarding "The Antennas Direct CPA-19 preamp... " is this a separate component that I would need to purchase...or is it built into the antenna?

Thanks again.
Old 4-Jul-2012, 5:22 AM   #6
GroundUrMast

The larger versions of the HD769x series have more gain, therefor more range, and additional fade margin for closer signals.

The CPA-19 is a separate part, from a competing vendor. It handles stronger local signals without overloading and adds less noise to the signal (as compared to the other name brand preamplifiers).

If your existing rotator is still serviceable, I'd recommend keeping it. Most of the new rotator product on the market has gathered a less than stellar mass of review. It seems that for a while at least, quality control was a problem.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 4-Jul-2012 at 5:26 AM. Reason: comment re. rotators
Old 4-Jul-2012, 5:28 AM   #7
vkeks

Help getting started...

Thank you for your help. I truly appreciate it.
Old 4-Jul-2012, 6:46 AM   #8
Electron

All questions and answers about broadcast tv reception and More.

Tv transmissions from Many directions around the compass at your location.

Install a Winegard MS2002 antenna above the roof.

No antenna rotor required , the MS2002 antenna receives all directions.

http://www.winegarddirect.com , http://www.solidsignal.com , http://www.amazon.com.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Jul-2012, 11:54 AM   #9
vkeks

I found the information below interesting on one of the websites above. Seems I could potentially spend a lot of extra money and have no benefit due to the limitations of nature. Wonder which equipment provides the proverbial 'sweet spot' in terms of equipment purchased and the gains received?

This is from the website regarding receiving over long distances:
"Theoretically, it would be possible if you lived on top of a mountain and the broadcast towers were also on a mountain. At normal elevations, however, the curvature of the earth pretty much limits effectiveness to about 70 miles for UHF band signals. Low VHF band (2-6) can bounce further than this, but currently only about 7% of digital TV channels are on the VHF band. Most Digital TV channels are on the UHF band - which is line-of-sight transmission. "
Old 4-Jul-2012, 1:18 PM   #10
vkeks

Could u suggest which equipment combo provides the proverbial 'sweet spot' in terms of equipment purchased and the gains received?

Assuming I would need an antenna and some type of signal booter/signal amplifier.

I am less interested in local channels and more interested in distance - reason being - to be perfectly candid -- football season is coming -- and can often get the games on OTA channels vs. on directv. Also would be nice to not pay that Directv bill each month.

Last edited by vkeks; 4-Jul-2012 at 1:19 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 4-Jul-2012, 2:29 PM   #11
GroundUrMast

The MS2002 would be a solution of reception of strong local signals that have little or no interference to overcome.

Your TV Fool report shows no low-VHF (real channel 2 through 6) signals except for analog WBPA-LP real channel 6 at the very bottom of the list, which is likely not even on the air. The predicted signal strength is well below that needed for reliable reception. from what I can tell, if built, it's a translator re-broadcasting WPCW, a CW affiliate. The WPCW signal is quite weak and may have problems with co-channel interference, but it would be easier to receive than the weaker WBPA.

My earlier suggestions stand. Given your interest in DX (reception of distant signals) go with the HD7698P and CPA-19.

Though I'm not recommending it; If you want to try receiving low-VHF intermittently, as atmospheric conditions vary, your can opt for the Winegard HD8200u... their largest all channel antenna. If you want to rotate such a large antenna reliably, consider a HyGain AR-40 rotator.

Old 4-Jul-2012, 2:42 PM   #12
vkeks

Smile

Done deal, thanks again. HD7698P and CPA-19 it is. Will follow up with a post once set up. Any tips/suggestions on best place to purchase based upon ur experience?
Old 4-Jul-2012, 2:53 PM   #13
GroundUrMast

Shop around. I often end up at Amazon. SolidSignal.com, 3Starinc.com and the Manufacturers web stores are worth looking at.

Old 4-Jul-2012, 3:06 PM   #14
vkeks

Wow. What an awesome website and forum here. I'm impressed.