TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 14-Jul-2015, 1:57 PM   #1
BrooklinOTA

Picking up weaker signals better than stronger signals???

Just wondering what the gurus on the forum make of this...

We had our roof redone last year and it totally devastated our attic reception (likely with better shingles installed). To combat this, I repositioned my 8 bay digiwave antenna in the attic and installed a Channel Master 7777 preamp. What is interesting is that the particular place in the attic where I have positioned the antenna, I get excellent reception with 2.1 and 7.1 (which should be the hardest channels to get), and mediocre reception with 17.1 (which should be relatively easy to get).

Here is my TVfool breakdown: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...8e03f3c3a0c192

What do you make of this???
BrooklinOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Jul-2015, 5:55 PM   #2
Greenish Apple

BrooklinOTA
Which 8-bay Digiwave antenna is it and what direction is it pointed? I'm guessing 180 degrees?

I'm not sure why you are not getting WNED as well as you should but I suspect your antenna is not good for channel 43? Do you get WIVB (real channel 39/virtual 4.1)?

David
Greenish Apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Jul-2015, 6:43 PM   #3
BrooklinOTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenish Apple View Post
BrooklinOTA
Which 8-bay Digiwave antenna is it and what direction is it pointed? I'm guessing 180 degrees?

I'm not sure why you are not getting WNED as well as you should but I suspect your antenna is not good for channel 43? Do you get WIVB (real channel 39/virtual 4.1)?

David
Thanks David,

The model is a Digiwave ANT7285. Regarding the positioning, I haven't been able to bring a compass up to the attic to measure. I just bought one today and I plan to go up this weekend and position it around 170-180 degrees. At present, based on my estimates, it should be close to that bearing.

I get WIVB crystal clear all the time. Even when most of the other American stations are sketchy in hot weather or storms, WIVB is dependably strong.

I can't help but wonder about attic gremlins as well. If I position the antenna at one end of the attic I get no American stations, but if it is positioned at the other end I get 35-45 channels.
Old 20-Jul-2015, 4:54 PM   #4
BrooklinOTA

Just an update on my work this weekend.

I bought a compass and found that I was actually pointing to 210 or 220 degrees instead of 180 degrees. Adjusting to 180 had 29.1 and 17.1 coming in much better. The trouble is this now has 2.1 spotty at times.

This weekend I might go back up and try a different location in the attic while still keeping my bearings of 180 degrees.