TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 28-Jul-2012, 5:46 AM   #1
davygrvy

reception problem (Richmond, CA)

Hi,

My report shows KICU 36(36.1) is shadowed by the ridge to the south of me. The report also shows the relative level is 4dB down from KEMO from Santa Rosa which I can get just fine at around 83%.

Apparently, I'm below the threshold my Sony DHG-HDD250 can detect for the antenna scan. UHF antenna is a 91XG at 18 feet off the roof on a rotator.

Times like this I wish I had an RF testset to see real 605MHz signal level whether it is worth trying a mast mounted preamp or not.

Should I try? Signals from Sutro tower come in very strong, could the preamp overload on these or overload my receiver?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04340_modified3.JPG (379.6 KB, 488 views)

Last edited by davygrvy; 28-Jul-2012 at 6:36 AM.
davygrvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Jul-2012, 6:22 AM   #2
davygrvy

I think I understand what 2Edge means now.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...GITAL%26n%3d24
Old 28-Jul-2012, 7:35 AM   #3
GroundUrMast

The only two preamps I can suggest are an Antennas Direct CPA-19 and a Winegard HDP-269. The CPA-19 has a slight edge in noise performance. Both can take higher signal levels better than most other preamps.

But, yes, you're close to overloading if you turn the same antenna & preamp toward Sutro.

If you try it, only to find the amplifier overloads when force fed 16+ powerful signals, are you willing to install a fixed aim antenna dedicated to Sutro... leaving the rotating combo to chase down everything else? An RCA ANT-751 would be plenty of antenna if fixed on Sutro... A Winegard HD7694P would be a 'Premium' option in that roll. Use an A/B switch or auxiliary tuner to choose between the two feeds. http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=2882
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Jul-2012, 9:13 AM   #4
davygrvy

hmm..

I like the idea of a fixed on Sutro, but I have a height issue with the tree as it was causing some dropouts and crazy sensitive positioning with the old antenna at 10 foot. Not shown in the pic but I added a Y5-7-13 Hi-VHF fixed on Sutro for 7(7.1) and 12(11.1) just yesterday. Another UHF there and I'll be fighting the same positioning problem (I think).

I'm a bit of an electronics hacker and was thinking of making a preamp to be gain switchable remotely.. maybe over CEA-909B, DiSEqC or something custom rolled.

I'm eyeing the 430MHz VHF GaAsFET preamp project in the ARRL Handbook

Last edited by davygrvy; 28-Jul-2012 at 9:24 AM.
Old 28-Jul-2012, 3:50 PM   #5
davygrvy

after experiencing what 2Edge diffraction is with the FM antenna, this is going to be exceptionally difficult to solve.