TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 8-May-2013, 7:27 AM   #1
Guru

Need help on best pre amp.

I am in Topeka, KS and just installed a new HD Stacker antenna from Denny's and aimed it at KC. I went without a pre amp just to see what it might pull in on its own. Outside the Topeka stations I only pulled in one KC station, KCTV at 35%.

I know I will need a preamp but can't really decide between the Winegard 8700, Winegard 8275 or Channel Master 7777. I'm almost tempted to just try the Radio Shack version to see if this is just a waste of my time though. Easy return.

Here is my TVFOOL report...
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...1ddafe7e2d2ea0

Quick description of my set up. My antenna is just about 30' high stationed with a gable mount on the second story of my home with a 5' mast. It is a HD Stacker antenna. CAble run is 100' to my first TV. I haven't installed the splitter to my two other tvs yet but there will be an additional 30' of cable to get to the other two TVs. I will have one dual splitter before my first TV then another dual splitter to my other two TVs.

If am am leaving anything out please let me know and thanks for your help.

EDIT

I am in one of the highest points of my city but I do have some big oak trees right next door that I cannot get above at all. Don't know how much they are affecting my signal but thought I should put it out there for you.

Last edited by Guru; 8-May-2013 at 7:47 AM.
Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-May-2013, 12:13 AM   #2
Guru

Anyone please help?
Old 9-May-2013, 1:10 AM   #3
coco

The 'helpers' on this site have a hard time recommending your antenna because Denny does not post antenna gain.

This sit may help you. You should go with 1 splitter be it a 4way or 6way. Do not 'daisy chain'

http://www.solidsignal.com/p/?p=3561...-Pre-amplifier
coco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-May-2013, 1:48 AM   #4
Guru

Because my wiring is in the walls, I don't have a choice but to daisy chain. Which is why I am limiting it to just 2 dual splitters.

I've already been over that information you posted. My problem is finding a amp that won't overpower my locals but will still pull in the KC stations. If I can't get that, they I plan to return the HD stacker antenna and just stick with my ClearStream4 antenna that pulls in my locals good enough. Not as good as the HD stacker but good enough.

My goal is to get the KC stations though.
Old 9-May-2013, 6:03 AM   #5
GroundUrMast

Quote:
I am in one of the highest points of my city but I do have some big oak trees right next door that I cannot get above at all. Don't know how much they are affecting my signal but thought I should put it out there for you.
I suspect the oak trees will be a constant source of signal quality problems. Getting over or around those trees would be the single most productive improvement in your situation.

You have some strong local signals so you'll want a preamp that can tolerate high input levels. The Winegard HDP-269 and Antennacraft 10G201 & 10G221 come to mind.

FWIW: Historically, I don't recommend the HD-Stacker, not because it's good bad or indifferent... But because it's an unknown quantity. Denny only offers anecdotal comparisons to generally dissimilar antennas. I prefer to recommend antennas that have published performance specifications. Having said that, my guess is that the 'Stacker' performs somewhat like a Winegard HD7694P. If I was trying for the distant group of signal to the east, I would go big... A Winegard HD7698P or large separate UHF and H-VHF antennas. I would also be considering a tower that would get me above all obstructions in the neighborhood.

http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=13090

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 9-May-2013 at 6:08 AM. Reason: Link to splitter thread
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-May-2013, 8:16 AM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
I suspect the oak trees will be a constant source of signal quality problems. Getting over or around those trees would be the single most productive improvement in your situation.

You have some strong local signals so you'll want a preamp that can tolerate high input levels. The Winegard HDP-269 and Antennacraft 10G201 & 10G221 come to mind.

FWIW: Historically, I don't recommend the HD-Stacker, not because it's good bad or indifferent... But because it's an unknown quantity. Denny only offers anecdotal comparisons to generally dissimilar antennas. I prefer to recommend antennas that have published performance specifications. Having said that, my guess is that the 'Stacker' performs somewhat like a Winegard HD7694P. If I was trying for the distant group of signal to the east, I would go big... A Winegard HD7698P or large separate UHF and H-VHF antennas. I would also be considering a tower that would get me above all obstructions in the neighborhood.

http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=13090
Thanks for the advice and thanks for not completely dismissing my antenna choice. I was a little worried about those trees but at much as I would love to have the KC stations, they are not so important to me as to spend a bunch of extra money on a tower and rewiring my home with an electrician. If I can't make it work with my existing wiring for the KC channels then I can live with only getting the Topeka stations.

I'll take a closer look at your pre amp suggestions. Thanks