TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 1-Jan-2014, 5:29 PM   #1
Air Wave Newbee

Please advise on which antenna to get

My wife cancelled out Direct TV three months ago. Since that time, we have been only watching Net Flicks. But as you can imagine, we are really missing our local T.V. channels. I bought a piece of junk set top antenna and it won’t even pick up one channel!

Therefore, I need your help selecting an outdoor antenna than will provide the most channels available. Right now we have no channels so anything will be a huge improvement. We really don’t have a preference on what channels we want or don’t want. Just as many as possible based on where we live. Here is out radar plot: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae6cf1203a2b

I was considering the following antennas on the Best Buy Web Site:

1. Antennas Direct - ClearStream 2V Long-Range HDTV Antenna: Model: C2-V-CJM or the larger Model: C4

2. Antennas Direct - Outdoor Multidirectional HDTV Antenna Model: DB8

The DB 8 claims to pull in UHF and VHF from multiple directions up to 70 miles away. Is this what I need to get both the 330 degree signals and the 68 degree signals?

Equipment used is the old Direct TV wiring. There are two separate 50’ runs coming off the roof and running into separate rooms. So I suppose I will need a splitter once installing the antenna.

I am not sure which make or model of antenna to buy or if I need any amps or boosters. Your help would greatly be appreciated! Thank You.
Air Wave Newbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Jan-2014, 7:19 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

Did you use the setup menu of your tuner to change the tuner from cable mode to 'antenna' or 'air'? Did you then perform a full channel scan? How old is your TV? Does it have an ATSC capable tuner?

Even with "a piece of junk set top antenna" you should expect to see quite a number of channels.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Jan-2014, 7:49 PM   #3
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
The DB 8 claims to pull in UHF and VHF from multiple directions up to 70 miles away. Is this what I need to get both the 330 degree signals and the 68 degree signals?
Uh, no, that's not what the antenna does. See http://www.antennasdirect.com/store/...v-Antenna.html

Based on my experience, you will likely need to pick one market to focus on and, if you want the second, then a rotor or a second antenna with an A-B switch will be needed.

Either of those antennas would likely work for the Chicago stations. The DB8 *should* pick up WBBM based on the numbers in your plot (I've used it on VHF 12 in much weaker situations). Put it on a rotor and you should be okay for South Bend.

Use a standard two-output splitter to share the antenna signal with both sets.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Jan-2014, 10:36 PM   #4
teleview

+=>
-----
-->As Always<-- the Tv/s Must Channel Scan for the , OTA=Over The Air , ATSC - Digital Broadcast Tv Stations/Channels , often named the ~ Antenna Channels ~ DTV Channels ~ Air Channels ~ in the Tv Setup Menu because the Tv transmissions travel through the Air from the transmitting antenna to the receiving antenna.

Some Digital Tv's will Automatic channel scan for cable Tv channels.

DO NOT channel scan for cable Tv channels.

Go into the Tv Setup Menu and select ~ Antenna Channels ~ DTV Channels ~ Air Channels ~.

Scan for channels.

---------------------

Your reception location has Digital Broadcast Tv Stations/Channels on All 3 channel bands.

Recommend install a All channel antenna.

Install a , www.channelmasterstore.com , CM5018 antenna aimed at about 334 degree magnetic compass direction.

Install the CM5018 antenna above the peak of the roof in such a manner that reception is not , obstructed , impeded , blocked , by the roof and building in All directions.

-------

Here are some above the roof antenna mounts.

www.ronard.com/909911.html
Use the , ronard(911) , 5 foot tripod antenna mount.

www.ronard.com/34424560.html
Use the , ronard(4560) eave antenna mount.

www.ronard.com/ychim.html
Measure around the chimney and use a , ronard(2212) , ronard(2218) , ronard(2224).

Buy the ronard antenna mounts at , www.solidsignal.com , by typing , ronard(x) , in the solidsignal search box or buy from , www.ronard.com .

----------

A antenna system amplifier is not required.

-----------

For 1 Tv connected use No splitter.

For 2 Tv's connected use a , Holland Electronics , HFS-2D , 2 way splitter.

Buy the , HFS-2D , splitter at , http://www.solidsignal.com , or , http://www.hollandelectronics.com.

-------------------------

As always , trees and tree leaves , plants and plant leaves , have a Negative Effect on Broadcast Tv Reception and so do buildings and other obstructions including your own roof and house.

Some and not all Negative Effects are ,

Absorbing , Blocking , Reception.

Multi-Path Reflecting Tv signals bouncing all around.

The Best Practice is to install the antenna at a location that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions of any type or kind in the directions of reception including your own roof and house.

Last edited by teleview; 2-Jan-2014 at 2:38 AM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 2-Jan-2014, 1:57 AM   #5
Air Wave Newbee

Ground your mast:

I have a LG set model number LG 47W5300. The online specs state the following.
BROADCASTING SYSTEM
Analog - NTSC
Digital - ATSC/NTSC/Clear QAM (1 Tuner)

Yes, I did a full "air" channel scan and it came up with nothing. Keep in mind, the set top rabbit ears came from the dollar store.
Old 2-Jan-2014, 2:07 AM   #6
Air Wave Newbee

Your reception location has Digital Broadcast Tv Stations/Channels on All 3 channel bands.

Recommend install a All channel antenna.

Install a , www.channelmasterstore.com , CM5018 antenna aimed at about 334 degree magnetic compass direction.

Install the CM5018 antenna above the peak of the roof in such a manner that reception is not , obstructed , impeded , blocked , by the roof and building in All directions.

-----------[/QUOTE]

Ok, sounds like the CM5018 is a good choice. I have no problem focusing on the Chicago stations. However, I was just wondering if there any other ideas or options out there?
AD Tech recommends going with the DB 8. I really dont know the difference, just looking for help with the pros and cons.
Thanks.
Old 2-Jan-2014, 5:34 AM   #7
GroundUrMast

If you want a reasonable shot at reception of the signals on the Low-VHF channels (real channels 2 through 6), you'll need to use an all-channel antenna. teleview's suggestion of the CM-5018 is appropriate. Competing products such as the Winegard HD7084P and Antennacraft HD1200 would be alternatives to consider.

If you go with the excellent DB8e, beware that it's a great UHF antenna (real channels 14 through 51) but it has only limited incidental VHF capability. If you opt for it, be prepared to add a VHF band antenna if you fail to get reliable reception of the signal below real CH-14.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Jan-2014, 6:44 AM   #8
teleview

+=>
-----
The Current Tv Stations/Channels that are being transmitted and received in the , USA , Canada , Mexico , are ,

VHF low band channels 2 thru 6.

VHF high band channels 7 thru 13.

UHF band channels 14 thru 51.

Your location has receivable channels in All 3 Tv bands.

---------------------------------------------

-->All<-->of the satellite system componets such as and not limited to , multi-plexers , multi-switches , splitters , couplers , amplifiers , power injectors , power supplies , and etc. must be disconnected and removed.

Yes the satellite system coaxes can be used for the antenna system and other coaxes that are in or on the building can be used for the antenna system.

-----------------------

If there is any type or kind Cable Tv Service , be it , Cable Internet Service , Cable Tv Service , Cable Phone Service , or any other type or kind of Cable delivered service , The Cable delivered services/s Must Be On A Separate Coax That Is Not Connected To The Antenna System Coaxes.
Old 2-Jan-2014, 11:38 AM   #9
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

My suggestion of the DB8 omitted consideration of low-VHF. If you actually want WOCK-CD then go with one of the large all-channel antennas. I'd suggest you look into what they offer before making a decision as their offerings are rather eclectic. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WOCK-CD

At only <1 kW transmit power and at 45+ miles distance, reliable reception of WOCK will be marginal anyway in spite of the predicted NM in your analysis. Besides, WOCK has figured out that low-VHF isn't where they want to be and they have applied (probably in vain) to move to UHF 41, a move that likely will never be approved.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 2-Jan-2014 at 11:41 AM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Jan-2014, 2:28 PM   #10
tomfoolery

According to rabbitears.info MundoFox on WOCK (real 4.5, virtual 13-1) is also carried on WPWR (real 51.5, virtual 50-3), which is at the top of the TVF report.

RabbitEars web site link
tomfoolery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Jan-2014, 2:29 PM   #11
Stereocraig

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
My suggestion of the DB8 omitted consideration of low-VHF. If you actually want WOCK-CD then go with one of the large all-channel antennas.

At only <1 kW transmit power and at 45+ miles distance, reliable reception of WOCK will be marginal anyway in spite of the predicted NM in your analysis.

Or, you could catch them on Superstation WPWR 50.3.
That station is a blowtorch, even up here in Wisconsin.
Stereocraig is offline   Reply With Quote